Karmic Effect ...Still I am Sad.

Thiruvananthapuram, India
The Hindu and Buddhist faith uphold the maxim of past KARMA to be the nature of present existence. Though myself a non-believer in this line of thought..at times I just cannot find an answer to my present tortuous existence. I would put my palm on my heart and would ascertain that I have done no serious harm to my fellowmen..but the suffering galore experienced is painstaking. What bad KARMA have I done to face this virtual torture. ???. Is it justiciable to punish you for your past KARMA in your past birth of which you are unaware ?
@derek_a (10903)
I am a Zen practitioner - I do not really subscribe to any faith, but practice zazen (zen meditation). What I have discovered is that the moment I desire something, I have created a "relative" situation - i.e. good cannot exist without an opposite (bad). So the source of my discontent sometimes is because I desire. As a therapist, I draw on realisations gained from my Zen experience and when I have a client suffering in this way my aim is to get them look at the whole situation rather than the symptom. And holistically, everything that exists in the physical/emotional world has to have an opposite. Therefore, if I get my client can see this, they can realise that life is a roller coaster and if you resist the downward motion of the "car" you slow it's momentum making it very difficult to climb up the other side. Going with the flow, eventually brings you to a smoother ride with few ups and fewer downs. I have a website and a blog that may help.. website is http://ayrehypnotherapy.com and my blog (Why Zen) has a link on my profile. :-)
@naty1941 (2336)
I don't believe in past Karma. I believe that everyone has suffering because we are human beings. I don't believe that God punishes us but do believe that we can cope with whatever life gives us because we have faith.
@jackxav (660)
Yes i do agree with you naty1941.We suffer because we are human.You have a great idea.
Sorry to hear that you are going though such challenging, painful times. It is difficult to comment on what the cause and effect of your present circumstances are without knowing much about them. However, Buddhism also teaches that regardless of the past circumstances we are constantly in the NOW. We can release all attachment to the past by changing our attitude...and by changing beliefs and attitudes..we can change the quality of our lives. If your suffering is coming from choices others are making around you...then it may be something that you need to think about changing the dynamic with them. Regardless of what the religious framework is...love for oneself and each other is the one way to achieve greater enlightenment about what we are here to learn. Life's lessons can be tough and daunting at times..but faith that everything can and does change is often the best way to get through it. Experiential learning is the one constant in life...and I hope that whatever is going on with you that you will find some emotional support and spiritual direction to assist you in finding a better emotional space. Wishing you light filled blessings, Raia
@sigma77 (5385)
I am not sure what all is invovlved with Karma, but I do believe that whatever we give others comes back to us eventually, good or not so good. Things will get better as you improve your thinking habits to make it so. You might try reading the article by James Allen called As a Man Thinketh, available for free on the Internet. It might offer you some insight into your current troubles. Just a suggestion, my friend. You deserve to live the rich life.
@eshaan (6193)
See, this is all the part of ur beliefs or disbeliefs. Its nothing wrong in believing in the theory of 'karma', the point is that u should see the positive side of it and not get depressed due to whatever u believe.If u believe in the theory of karma, that will inspire u to do good deeds which may satisfy u and give good results.
@thefortunes (2368)
• Netherlands
Hi Sukumar, I definitely belive in paying the bad karma of the past in the present. Even though the belief in the country where I was born is Greek Orthodox, people there do believe in paying even the bad karma of your family members, like your parents and grandparents. In cases such as yours, that you are certain that the bad luck in this life has nothing to do with your own actions - than people in my country will reply, who's karma are you paying for at the moment, and than tell you to go to a church, burn a candle, and promise something good which you will defnitely do. Only than part of this past bad karma will be washed off of your life. Hope this helps some :) TheFortunes
@jennybianca (12918)
I am not familiar with the concepts of Karma. Why are you living such a tortuous life? What is happening? Surely it can't be that bad? I don't think this would be a result of something bad happening in a past life.
That is so called as BELIEF and not believe. The concept of belief is the most and utmost level in one's life. No third party can change one's belief unless oneself. It is a nature-nurture process in one's mind and soul.
"Is it justifiable to punish you for your past KARMA in your past birth of which you are unaware?" Of course not! So, cheer yourself up and laugh in the face of your bad past KARMA while you create some new good KARMA. Start off with seeking the help of a willing good woman. This always works for me when I want good KARMA. It is all a part of refusing to be the victim of past bad KARMA.
If you believe in reincarnation some believe you have to learn a lesson that is why you have bad luck in this life. I do not know if that is what I believe. I do believe that God does not give us things we cannot handle even thou it feels we cannot handle anymore bad luck. Good luck my friend
The philosophy of Karma, existence of Atma, God.. God punishing man.. do crop up our mind and have our minds occupied only when we feel that we are let down,and when we start to feel that nobody is to care us... None to listen our bulgeoning grievances.. My point is, at all points of time in every man's life .. this karma, is acting on us..then why we dont blame karma when good things happen to us...and we are here in this world due to the Sins of our Previous birth ( According to Hindu Mythology) if not, our souls would have attained Liberation, The Moksha.
@Lakota12 (42794)
very well could be
@kaplya (1578)
it's just mathematical so there's nothing like justciable or right or wrong if you believe in the karma & its explanation.
@Stiletto (4597)
No I don't believe it would be justifiable to be punished for your actions in a past life and I don't believe that's what happens anyway. I have no religious beliefs but I admit I like the idea of Karma - what goes around comes around and all that. However, I also believe very much that we are the masters of our own destiny and we are to a great extent responsible for what happens to us. Not in absolutely everything of course but in general I think that's the case. I'm not sure why you describe your present existence as tortuous, and I'm sorry to hear that's how it is, but I hope something practical could be done to change it.