Do you think it's true that we eat more food if it is conveniently placed?

@Rollo1 (16725)
Boston, Massachusetts
A researcher at Cornell has written a book called "Mindless Eating" in which he says that his observations and studies prove that people are nearly unable to resist food that is placed near them. He says the combination of its visibility and convenience means that even if we resist it at first, eventually we will reach for it. He states that office workers can put on 12 pounds a year if they sit near snacks. I have sat near the snacks in an office and I think he's right. When you're working and tense, you get distracted by the sight of that chocolate bar and every time you see it, it only reinforces an idea in your mind that you want it. How about you? Do you think you snack on food you don't really crave simply because it is handy?
@psycho74 (124)
I definitely think that is true! If you're not hungry and someone puts a snack in front of you, you'll eat it eventually. I know I eat more if there is food available that is placed in front of me!
@Rollo1 (16725)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think we do a lot of absent-minded snacking if there's food just sitting around in front of us.
@megumiart (3782)
Yeah, I think that's true. If there's a plate of cookies or something lying around I know I'd totally be get a snack. :]
@Rollo1 (16725)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think so too, especially if they were chocolate chip cookies!