Prevent telemarketers from calling your number

@estherlou (5017)
A few years ago, I remember registering our phone number in a "Do Not Call" database to prevent telemarketers from calling. It seems it only lasts for five years and then you have to register your numbers again to keep from getting those kinds of calls. Here is the web page if you are interested. https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
@sherrir101 (3670)
Thanks so much for this. I had forgotten all about it. I didn't know about the every five years thing. No wonder. We have been getting an outrageous amount of telemarketing calls lately. I am so glad that this service is provided. Telemarketers will probably find a way around it though.
I'm on the list and still get a few calls. But when I do get one I tell them I am on the do not call list, and I wish for them to remove me from their list. They are legally obligated to do so, and they hang up rather quickly because they know they can get sued for calling people who are on the do not call list.
@cynddvs (2950)
We just registered not long ago. Just remember that when you register it may take 30 days to stop recieving calls. But after 30 days if you keep getting calls if you find out where the call is coming from and report them they can be fined. I know I have gone off on several telemarkters lately. They're so dang annoying and won't leave you alone even when you tell them to stop calling.
@estherlou (5017)
We stop most of it by just letting the answering machine do it's thing. If we don't recognize the number and name from the caller i.d., we don't answer the phone. But one day a couple of days ago, we got 17 phone calls of people we didn't know! That is incredible!
@lyndee22 (1211)
We receive some calls from telemarketers but they are from our service provider, telecommunication company that we subscribed. They update us on their new products or inquire us what are the services that we want or need to have. There are also telemarketers from different businesses offering us their products or informing us about their promo and this is time consuming because they ask many things as if they are an investigators.
@jillmalitz (5132)
We have our phone on the national do not call list as well as the Texas list. Remember that we have to sign up again in June. That way we wont be left out when the old list goes away.
@lgwlong (199)
the phone company's call is too bothering ,espesically when you are rest ,i remember one time it call me in the morning and i am so tire last night ,when i pick up the call from telemarketer ,i got angry and it really ruin my sleeping .
@Katlady2 (9920)
That is an awesome way to stop them from calling too. It really works! Hopefully people will follow your link and register their phone numbers. To me, there's nothing more annoying than having a telemarketer calling during dinner and not taking no for an answer.
@KarenO52 (2951)
Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to have to register again, I guess. I wish they had one for charities. They call before 9 in the morning, and late at night, disrupting my sleep.
@subha12 (18453)
Is it valid in india? I also want to subscribe to this service. Here tele marketers are making our life a living hell.
@estherlou (5017)
Sorry...this particular number is for the US.
Hello estherlou, A million thanks for this link!! I had forgotten about the five years on the last time I called in. I have been swamped with telemarketers lately. I rarely get a phone call from anyone I know anymore. Telemarketers are such a pest!! They call at all times of day and night. How can you get a good night's sleep with the phone ringing off the hook? Then they wonder why you are upset when they wake you up.. Happy posting..
Yeah thats true it does only last 5 years. Use can also put your cell phone number on it. I have another piece of advice i would like to add along with this. Non-profit organizations are still allowed to call you even if you are on the list. If you dont want them calling you next time they call say "please take me off your master call list." Some places call for more then one organization. So if they call for more then one place then your name and number will be removed from all these lists.
@peaceful (3301)
Another great way to stop them is private phone: http://www.privatephone.com Use this when you are checking into offers and they require a phone number. It's free and a great alternative to providing your own phone number fir anything online, or offline.
Thank you for the link. I had also registered quite a few years back. So I used your link to re-register. Thanks again.
You know estherlou, I did that several months ago, and although I still get calls, once I tell them I am on the list, they hurry and apologize and hang up. They know they can get in big trouble for bothering someone on that list. But what I'm wondering, is something I heard about recently. I heard that in the next year or so they were going to abolish that list and let everyone resume the normal telemarketing. Have you heard anything about that? That is really bad news to me. I hope it isn't true, but I heard some lobbyists really pushed some Congressmen to put it on the floor.
@slickcut (8141)
Yes i do have that number and i have registered my phones..I hate those telemarketers, all they want to do is run off some big spill about this and that and the bottom line is they are just trying to sell something...Years ago when i was young and dumb,I worked for one of those companies,it is a horrible job and the employee's are treated like dirt ..They give you a sheet of paper ,and on it they have their sells pitch,and you are to sit there all day saying the same thing over and over again...I feel sorry for the people that work there and also for the people that have to get their calls.....I would advice everyone to register their phone numbers....
@suspenseful (40316)
I do not know if there is a similar one here in Canada, and it might only work with companies, not with someone who allows telemarketers to call from their home. If it were available in Canada, it might keep those people in India who pretend they are from our country and get people to subscribe to this and that and get taken. I think if you work as a telemarketer you should be from the country you are calling. The customer can always call the head office, but I guess the head office wants to put the blame on somebody and does not care who works for them.
Any idea about such facility in India
Thanks, I just started my registration. I never got around to doing this when it came around last time (I guess that was about 5 years ago), but I am gonna do it now!! I get so many calls while I am trying to sleep during the day from working all night. So I hope this works!!
I registered not too long ago, but I will check to make sure that I will not need to register, soon. I also registered my cell phone. My city required me to get a business tax certificate because I was selling something and forced me to list my home phone number as my business phone number. They then publish that number on a list that telemarketers use. It's no longer eligible for protection on the do not call list because it's now a business phone number. But, I always screen my calls, anyway, with my answering machine.
Thankyou!!!! Your a GODSEND!!!!!! :D