Food poisoning from outside food vendors--what's your experience?

@mmiller26 (1932)
Canada
September 24, 2007 4:27pm CST
This afternoon my husband and I stopped at Canadian Tire near where we live to pick up a few things we needed for our car, and on the way out I was hungry so I bought a few hot dogs from the hot dog vendor who sells her wares right outside Canadian Tire's doors by the parking lot. After I bought the hot dogs, I looked over at the condiment bar and couldn't believe what I saw. The condiments were sitting, unrefrigerated, out in the hot sun. And one of those condiments was mayonnaise! I put some ketchup and mustard on the hot dogs but was really reluctant to use any of the pickles, relish or onions, as they too were sitting out in the sun in covered containers. I picked up the mayonnaise squirt bottle and it was hot to the touch. God only knows how long it had been sitting there! I let the hot dog vendor lady (who, in my opinion, should have known better) know that she couldn't leave the mayonnaise sitting out in the hot sun because her customers would get salmonella and she had the nerve to look annoyed with me. The more I thought about it, the madder I got, so I called Canadian Tire after I left and let them know what had happened so they could take steps to make sure it didn't happen again. I'm sure the lady had been selling her hot dogs like that for a long time, and hopefully no one has ever gotten sick. But all it would take was one person to get sick from eating there to create huge problems for the store, even if they're completely unrelated to the hot dog vendor outside. I feel better knowing that I said something. Has anyone ever gotten food poisoning from a food vendor or restaurant or had similar experiences? What happened? Did you alert the restaurant? I'd love to hear from you.
1 person likes this
5 responses
@estherlou (5020)
• United States
8 Oct 07
Of course you were right! Another thing to do would have been to call the Health department to report it. All businesses have to adhere to certain standards...a vendor would also.
1 person likes this
25 Sep 07
I have learnt through bitter experience never to eat from outside food sellers. The worst was a burger bought outside a rock gig, and although it seemed to be ok and tasted ok, by the time the band took the stage I was in the toilets and spent most of the evening throwing up. It ruined the whole evening for me and I was sick for a couple of days afterwards too. Never again will I eat from an outdoor food seller.
1 person likes this
@lingli_78 (12845)
• Australia
25 Sep 07
thank God i never experience a food poisoning before and i never want to experience it... i think those people who do a business in a food section has to be really careful when handling their food as it got to do with people's lives... good on you for saying something and letting the shop knows about this hot dog lady...
1 person likes this
• United States
24 Sep 07
All people that set up shop - even if its a temporary little hot dog cart are at minimum required to go through a food safety or food handlers course and they receive a grade. The only one exempt is sometimes a nonprofit organization is allowed to sell certain types of food without it (like your school's brownie sale or church event). A county fair would have a special event or blanket license. If you call the health department and they do not have this, they will close them up whether they are in health violation or not. That is the only thing that sometimes makes people change is telling the proper authorities as for this privelege they must pass tests regarding food temperature knowledge. There are times when something IS an honest mistake but it didn't seem like it from your story.
1 person likes this
@johndeese (189)
• United States
24 Sep 07
I can certainly applaud your efforts. I could have lost my sister to food poisening and much more. It all started when she and her husband was out of town at one of their bowling tournaments. Shes a minor league bowler. They was eating at a restaurant, seafood In particular. The next day she could not geat out of bed and was nausea and vomiting. Her husband, whom by the way Is a paramedic firefighter II. Knew right away what was going on and rushed her to the emergency room. This Is where the truth gets Interesting. While In the hospital overnight and a few days there after. Comes to find out she had other problems going on and had to have a hysterectomy procedure. Needless to say this Is not the ending. While the hysto. was needed. What she went through was unnecessary. After her procedure and was release from the hosipital. again she started complaining of stomach cramps and sharp pricking pains In her lower abdomen. So she goes back to the hospital and the examined her and notice she begain to swell In her abdomen. So after taken xrays. They come to find out the a surgical Instrument was left In her cause a tear In I believe what was her large Intestine cuasing what was beleive to be aseptic Infections In her abdomen. all this out of eating seafood. The paradox Is If she hadnt gotton food poisening she probably would have early detection for hysterectomy. But I cant say that. One thing for sure. Seafood restaurants are of limits!! to me I eat seafood prepared by my own hands.
1 person likes this