Excommunicated

Today, there was an article in the newspaper about 6 nuns from an order in my hometown who had been excommunicated from the Catholic Church. While I am not Catholic, I have many family members who are, and there is much discussion about the decision. These 6 women, who've all been serving the church for more than 40 years, had joined a sect of the church called "The Army of Mary". Their leader believes that she is a reincarnation of the virgin Mary. Does anyone know anything about this group?
@mi2ok02 (406)
Never heard of it. None of my family are catholic. We all have our roots with the Baptist churches although many of us have become spirit filled and don't feel like the Baptist way is enough for us afterwards. This army of Mary sounds like a classic cult. Just a new way of recruiting members and it sounds like it is meant to target women. I believe Catholicism and the Catholic Church to be a cult anyway. I don't mean to offend anyone with that statement but I have to say it. They do many things that God says NOT to do in the Bible. But that.... is another discussion for another time.
Well, there are some of their beliefs that I don't agree with. BUT I also believe that there are many people in the Catholic church who are saved and going to heaven. I think we need to get past what is printed on the sign over the door...and get to what is inside the heart of the people. I've seen too many sincere believers who truly have Christ in their heart, who are shunned because they don't go to the "right" church.
@mi2ok02 (406)
I wanted to make it clear that I don't believe the people who make the congregation of the Catholic church to be cultists or bad people. I just disagree with the administration of catholicism. I do not believe that catholics are all going to hell. I know that there are members who have accepted Jesus as their personal savior and Lord over their life. It it just my opinion that many of their religious rituals and the doctrine of the church are not in their best interests and do go against what God says in the Bible. The doctrine can be debated at another time. The subject was about the "Army of Mary". The title alone is questionable and raises my eyebrow to the suspicion of it being a cult.
@suspenseful (40316)
I am not Roman Catholic, but since they do worship Mary, they would regard anyone who claims to be a reincarnation of the Virgin Mary as we would regard anyone who comes and says, "I am Christ." And it does not matter how long one has been serving as a nun in that facility, to turn to the wrong even though the sect did help the poor and do good deeds. Remember Judas Iscariot walked with Christ from the beginning of his ministry, and he turned out to be a traitor.
That is a wonderful way to explain this! I didn't think of it in that way, because when I hear someone say I am Christ...I think "Oh you're looney" and turn the other way. I believe that when Christ does come back, it will be with such majesty, that there won't be any question that he is here.
@DeenaD (2688)
I have never heard of this group, but IMHO it is necessary to keep this kind of hokeyness as far from the Church as possible.
I had never heard of them before this article appeared in the paper here. But once I started doing some research, it seems that this sect is huge! My grandmother, who is Catholic, is just sick because this is tearing the church apart. There are families who are being divided over this! But isn't that what the Bible says will happen in the end days? That brother will turn against brother?
@lancingboy (1386)
"The Army of Mary"? I've never heard of this group before and many people in my family are Catholic. Irish Catholics, but still lol. I could ask my granddad because he enjoys learning new things, especially if it has to do with religion and history. Maybe he might know something if it isn't a newer group.
I've been doing some research over the past few days. They sound innocent enough, with great ideas for peace, and spreading the gospel...except for the little piece of history that their founder thinks she is the reincarnation of the virgin mary. http://www.communaute-dame.qc.ca/oeuvres/OE_oeuvres-hist_AN.htm