How long does the mother nurse the baby?

My cat is going on a month and one week. Her mother is not nursing her like she was before. Is it because she see that the cat is able to heat now? Or maybe the cat stops about this time? The reason I ask is the kitten be running around trying to nurse. The cat does it sometimes and others she won't. When I give the kitten food the mother watches her eat and sometime joins in. Thanks a lot. :)
Yep, the mom and the kitten decide between themselves, you don't have to worry. Sometimes the mom lets the kitten nurse way beyond the time that she has any milk. It becomes a comfort thing and even whent he kitten is weaned and away from the mom some cats nurse on other cats, dogs, or blankets. One thing to remember is that while the mom is nursing she is most fertile even if she does not appear to be in heat. Remember to spay or neuter your pets. 1,000 cats are euthranized each month in each county of your state. Also it is very unhealthy for a male or female to remain intact, it leads to cancer and other medical problems. Good luck with your kitten. Kittens are so much fun.
I will have this done soon for both cats. The good thing is they are both female. Thanks for the tip :)
@Polly1 (12650)
My kittens are 9 weeks old now, they eat solid food, actually they are little piggies. The momma still will nurse them sometimes. I think it is more comfort then anything. She will only nurse them for a few minutes, and then she gets up. I don't think she even has milk left, its just her being a mamma.
My little one is just getting sown the wet stuff. She is very picky as well. Thanks :)
@anniepa (27123)
A month and a week is about the time the kitten will begin being weened from her mother's milk. The kitten and the mom will know when it's time to stop, but if they're still living in the same place the kitten may continue to nurse, or try to for quite some time. Isn't it amazing how animals know what to do without being told or taught and we humans are totally helpless in some ways without some form of guidance! It's also completely normal for mom to watch her baby eat and sometimes eat some herself. She's still watching over her baby and checking to make sure she's eating right. Good luck with your kitty! What's her name? Annie
Thanks Annie, The mom is jet black and Killer Because she caught a mouse LOL. The baby is cuddles because she always cuddles with me. :)
@mikeb270 (54)
about 4-6 weeks, Depends on how stronge their teeth are and usually the mom cat will start to push them away or just stay way becuase when their teeth are stronge enougth they will hurt her.