Did you ever?

Did you ever try to catch fireflies as a child? Di - Did you ever try to catch fireflies as a child? Did you ever try to catch fireflies as a child?
Did you ever try to catch fireflies as a child? I remember as a kid getting the jars out and chasing these lighting bugs all night long. Do yo have any memory of doing this as a child? If so please do share it with the rest of us.
Yes, we caught fireflies for hours as children. With the first one, we would make a "ring". Take off the glowing part, and stick it on your finger like a ring. Sounds rather gross, now, but we had to have our "rings".
@moxalot (100)
Oh, fireflies are one of my favorite summer things... We used to chase fireflies all night... I was at summer camp (just a bit bitter) when my family moved to Philadelphia. My younger sister and the neighborhood kids caught fireflies in a jar so she would have a nightlight... I can't wait to have a yard, so Lillie, Gwen, and I can chase them next summer...
@theprogamer (10539)
Heh, everyone who's responded is so cute with their responses. Don't get me wrong I use to chase fireflies too when I was little. But other times, I brought the fireflies to me! All I had to do was get a flashlight at night and just flash it at the fireflies. After a few flashes like signals most times the fireflies would be at my hand. One time a few friends and I got a few fireflies in a jar but our jar was custom made with different tints of glass. It really made a good lightshow. Its sad though, around here the fireflies are becoming fewer and fewer.
Very cool thank you.
@plumwish07 (4060)
he he he he, so sad that i hate bugs and its family. the things that i remembered when i was child, i like to catched tiny fish in small river near my house. i just catched them for playing and put it back :)
thank you for giving me best response in your discussion :)
@KrisNY (7592)
Yes I did--- I loved this- Funny thing is- My daughter and I do this now- It's one of our favorite things to do at night outside- Usually we have a campfire- roast marshmallows- and then go to the side yard and catch lightning bugs (we call them)- She is great at it- I usually only get them once they land on the ground and light up- We run all over the yard- I bought her a dollar store bug keeper years ago-- it's what we still use. I hope she does this with her children someday!
Im sure she will.
@deebomb (15323)
I never saw a fire fly until I lived in Kansas.There they were all over the place. i wasn't in any shape to chase and catch them but enjoyed watching my grandchildren doing it. I would save jars so they could do that. It ws great fun watching their excitment when they caught one. I now live in South Carolina and don't see many here just one once in a while.
@kaplya (1578)
what i remember is that i with my friends used to catch different sort of flies and butterflies in our childhood, with bare hands!;) it was quite fun at that time to catch some butterfly sitting on a flower by its wings(if you call that so;)).
@jolenegreen (1209)
Yes I remember. We used to do this all the time! Nowadays there are hardley any firflies out anymore. When I was little there were millions everywhere. Now u would be lucky to see 3 or 4. Kinda sucks my children wont beable to do the same
@jillmalitz (5132)
Oh yeah we did that. I was fascinated by them. I have not seen a firefly in years. Of course I live in Houston so maybe they dont like city life.
@carolbee (16241)
I also recall hunting fireflies with friends. We would chase them in the backyard, put them in a jar with holes in the lids and keep them as pets. Something else we would do, which is horrible looking back on it, was to remove the light and wear it on our fingers as a ring. Might get my head chopped off by any animal activist reading this discussion! Sorry, we didn't mean to be harmful or mean. It was the "in" thing to do when kids.