Canadian Thanksgiving...What Are You Thankful For?

It is thanksgiving here and part of our family tradition on this weekend was to pause and consider what are been thankful. With my spiritual beliefs Fall marks another cycle of endings and new beginnings. Every four months seasons change and we view changing cycles as a chance to think about new beginnings and how far we have come from where we once were. This morning David and I chatted about what we are thankful for and I'll share few of those with you. Then if you are up for it I'd love to hear about some of things you have an 'attitude of gratitude' about in your lives...whether it is your traditional thanksgiving or not. So here goes...I am thankful for the gift of life because it is and of itself is a blessing. There is deep appreciation that the health problems David had in the last couple of years have improved dramatically...and he truly is on a new path...as am I. Looking at where we've been and what we have come through we have learned some amazing life lessons...how to contain our energies and financial in-go and out-go within our means. From other discussions you know David and I value our love and the bonds we share within our sacred partnership as well as the friends who walk our path with us. I am also sincerely grateful for the sense of connection to friends within Mylot Land. Having a home, community, pets and work that fulfills us, being in good health...and that my recent knee injury is improving is something I am grateful about on this Thanksgiving weekend. Having good food, laughter, comfort within the lifestyle we have..yes, there is much to be thankful for. So here we go again..we have talked about who love and why...but how about sharing what we are grateful for and why. Is it life lessons you have learned...connections you have...what falls within your attitude of gratitude this weekend? Wishing you the best life has to offer...and a Happy Thanksgiving for anyone who is celebrating it...and for those who are not...what are you thankful for?
@rosie_123 (6118)
Hi Raia. And I wish you and David a happy Thanksgiving. I must admit until I joined myLot I never knew that Canada had a Thanksgivig - we only hear about the American version over here, and must admit I don't know very much about that either. As for what I am thankful for....... well first and foremost my health I guess. OK - I am getting older now, and have a few more aches and pains than I used to, - but on the whole I have done pretty well in the health department. Second, - of course - I am thankful that I met my beloved Eduardo and have shared my life with him happily for 20+ years now. And better not forget my cats of course, who bring me so much love, fun and companionship. Thankful too, for my parents, who bought me up to be a independant minded woman - gave me a good education, encouraged me to go to University, supported me financially, forgave my mistakes, and always loved me. And fr my girlfriends who have laughed wth me, cried with me, and shared my ife with me over the years. On a more general note - don't want to sound xenophobic, but I am grateful to have been born here in the UK, where democracy and freedom of speech are a Number 1 priority. We have free Health Care, free education, a good benefits system, great standards of kindness and charity to my beloved animals, strict rules against racism, sexism, agesim and homophobia - and there are no religious zealots telling us what to wear, or how to live etc. So I am proud and thankful to be a citizen of Europe, and a free woman in a Western culture. Have a happy weekend:-))
The blessing of love and friendship - This is a photo of my hubby and me after sharing a meal with our neighbor and friend next door. Love and friendship is a blessing on thanksgiving or and other time!
Hi Rose..good to hear from you as always. It is interesting the things we pick up about other people and cultures through the internet and discussion forums. Yes, we have Thanksgiving and in our area it tied into the Aboriginal and agricultural celebration about the harvest coming in and preparation for the long winter months ahead. We are in a largely farm community and houses are usually decked out in Autumn symbols with the pumpkins, hay bails, scarecrows..and they go into more dramatic statements for Halloween. So it is a meaningful time and we always think of Thanksgiving as the official end of summer and a time to prepare for the 'cocooning effects' of winter. Your appreciation for the gifts your family provided growing up and the valuable life lessons you learned through their love and support. Also, you observations and gratitude about what you value and are thankful for in the country you live is a wonderful thing to remember and celebrate. That is why I love discussions like these because it give us a chance to say; "Thank you for reminding me of that...because I also feel the same way." I watched a documentary about 'Women Behind the Veil' a couple of weeks ago. It is still rather haunting to me to see how may women are still so diminished by the country and cultures they live in. It is a common practice for women in the middle east to set themselves on fire to remove themselves from an intolerable life. When they 'live' they are horribly disfigured and suffering even more pain on every level than they were in before. The lack of obstetric care for woman and their babies throughout the world is something that is in sharp contrast to what you said about how fortunate we are to be as you sai.."Free women in a western culture." Wow...that is a biggie and so very true. Having health. and universal health care...creaky joints notwithstanding....and to love and be loved by spouses, family, friends and pets. Yes, my friend we both have many things to be thankful for this weekend...and any other. i have included a photo of David and I with a friend. Lovely post again..thank you for your always articulate and thoughtful additions. Raia
@rosie_123 (6118)
Lovely photo my friend - thanks for sharing. I saw a similar programme to the one you describe when I was back in Russia with some relatives last year. Strangely - it was also alled "Women Behind the Veil" - maybe it was the same programme dubbed into different languages? The obstetrics and gynaecological side of things struck me too - these poor women - many no more than children - going through such terrors. Anyway - it is bedtime here now, so I will once again wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Eduardo is out on his Friday night "Boys Night Out" (though he is a bit too old to be called a "boy" now - LOL!), and I usually go to pick him up so he doesn't have to drink and drive, - but he can't drink at the moment, as he is on antibitoics for a throat infection, so he is driving, and I get to have a early night:-)) Take care. Love, Rose xxx
Hi Rose.. Thanks for you quick reply. When you said it was bedtime...I had to pause. It is 4 PM here and I looked up at our clock and momentarily went..oh yes...there is something like an 8 hour time change that I forgot about. It is one of those things that Mylotting seems to create...a nebulous feeling of fluidity where we are all in present time as we chat even though our time zones vary dramatically. I am wondering if it was the same program. The host was CNN's Christie Annanmpou. I am sure I mangled her last name horribly. (laugh) But anyhow it was a one hour feature. She also did one called God's Warriors that included the diminished sense of worth and lack of rights for women in all extreme fundamentalist religions. If I ever came into large sums of money women's rights across the world is something I would live to fund. Glad you liked the photo...it is fun to add dimensions to our discussions through our photos when we feel the desire to. I have checked back and looked at your image of Sir Henry...because I love ginger cats! I know that antibiotics can create feelings of tiredness so I hope you and Eduardo have a good sleep and an enjoyable weekend in whatever you decide to do. Love and blessings to you too Rose... Raia
@theprogamer (10539)
Oh yea Raia I forgot it was Thanksgiving in Canada. Happy Thanksgiving Raia, I'm wishing you and your loved ones the best. I'm glad David's health is improving too. I think you said it all what to be grateful for. I can't really add much else, just well wishes to other people, especially those in need of support, generosity and companionship.
I love Mylot...and friends like you and so many others that drop by to extend holiday greetings and warm wishes to one and all. I appreciate your acknowledgment about David's health...it is one of the things I am most grateful for. Health challenges serve an amazing purpose though..they sure have a way of putting everything into perspective. When all is said and done if you do not have that everything if life changes and one needs to truly decide what matters. In any amazing way we have our priorities really straight and fully intend to keep them as our life returns to a larger commitment to our work and outwardly directed endeavors. So thank you for dropping by and reminding all of us that within our own blessings we need to be mindful of those who are less fortunate. Warm regards, Raia
@kevere26 (223)
What you've said is a wonderful gift for all of us. I couldn't have said it better myself! I was born in Canada and always smile when Americans think that our holidays are somehow different! I do wish that the USA would celebrate Thanksgiving in October to avoid the short time span between this holiday and Christmas! Have a wonderful Sunday!
Hi Kevere.. Thank you for your warm appreciation about the topic and my comments. I tend to agree with you about having Thanksgiving in October. For me it always seems fitting to say goodbye to summer..and move into a new cycle. The period between October, November is a lovely time. I do not think I would like to have the holidays so close together. It probably has something to do with consumerism evidently the Thanksgiving weekend in the United States that whole weekend is the kick off to Christmas and sales are booming. Marketing and money....it will get the moguls attention every time! Anyway, thank you for you comments and I am having a lovely Sunday with my watching some television and doing Mylot in our great room with our 5 cats and 2 dogs. I have just had some brunch with a freshly brewed cup of coffee with flavored creamer....hmmmm I do have a lot to be thankful for...and I am. Nice chatting, welcome to Mylot and I hope you drop by again. Raia
@andyliuzn (991)
I am thankful for my parents giving birth to me. I am thankful that I could know so many good friends in the world. I am thankful that I could have an elder brother and elder sister so that we could have a great childhood. I am thankful that I could speak different kind of languages so that I could know quite some different cultures and people around the world. I am thankful that I know mylot and I could learn quite some people and their stories here in mylot... Andy
Hi Andy, Thank you for stopping by and sharing what you are thankful for. You certainly have a wonderful attitude of gratitude for things you hold dear it is enjoyable to read about it. Topics like these always create an upbeat feeling and provide other reminders for me about how much there is to be grateful for. I appreciate what you have added. Raia
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
I want to answer this post but you have said almost word for word how I feel. The one thing I want to add is I have the best daughter, son in law, and two of the most beautiful grandchildren. I am so grateful for my small family. The one very important thing I am truly grateful for is all the friends on my friends list and anyone else that have prayed for me over the past year. I have been fighting serious health issues and I do believe in the power of prayer and I also believe there has been prayers said for me from people I have never met. I have not met any of the friends on my list but I am grateful you're all here. (((BIG HUGS)))
Hi again... Yes, much of what most of us feel a deep sense of gratitude about comes from what I call 'simple abundance.' A sense of being connected to Something larger than ourselves, our family friends, pets and a sense of community. I agree with you about Mylot being an amazing place to exchnage warm fuzzies and to realize that even seeming 'strangers' can and do care about each other. You are also in my thoughts and prayers...even though we've only known each other a few months..your big, caring, compassionate heart comes through in all you share. It is my sincere hope that your life will get easier and that the prayer support facilitates that for you along with the proactive approach that you take. So wrap yourself up in that love and I sincerely hope you and your family continue to have the many blessings you deserve. Warmest regards, Raia
@sunshine4 (8709)
Happy Thanksgiving to you. We don't have Thanksgiving until Nov here in the US but we also discuss what we are thankful for. I am thankful for my friends and family and the good health that all of us have. Have a great Thanksgiving.
Hi and thanks for your Thanksgiving greetings...much appreciated. Yes our rituals and celebrations do create a time to slow down, reflect and remember the many blessings life has to offer. Your views are akin to yours...and when your family celebrates Thanksgiving in the U.S....I hope you have a great weekend! Best regards, Raia
@Nykkee (2523)
This Thanksgiving I am thankful for my husband, my family, me pets, my friends, and my home. I am also very thankful that we will be elebrateing the holiday at MY parents house and NOT at my in-laws's. ;)
Hi and thanks for adding your comments... Your appreciation runs along the same lines as mine. I got a bit of a chuckle out of your comments about spending the holiday with your family instead of the in-laws. I do not think you are alone on that viewpoint...more than would be willing to admit feel that way too! Both my hubby and my parents have passed on...so that is not a tug of war we are engaged in. Anyway Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.. Raia
@Lakota12 (42684)
our thanksgiving is the last Thrusday of Nov. So it is early to think about all this. as we never thought of what we are tahnkful for on any one day or weekend as I think of it every day .Thankful that I a still alive a kicking ( even tho sometimes I wish I was with hunny] thankful for my kids and grandkids (even the ones I dont see} That my mom is still around and I can talk to her on the phone which I need to do. and that I see all the wonderful things in the world! also had great news that a doctor can fix my sis in law eye so she will be able to see out of it once again, the other eye is hopeless as the last doc cut the nerces to it.and am hoping this puts her in better health as well as her daughter they have found a good eye doctor that will make things better for them. and for all my close friends here on mylot with in almost a year I have foud 2 new friends that gather round in here and chat and just plain enjoy one another !. Some times me thinks better than a big happy family . hugs and blessings to all
Yes, it is interesting that Canadians and Americans celebrate this day at different times. I really appreciate your comments about counting our blessings every day. I have a book that I periodically make a list of all the good things that make life sweet and meaningful in large and small ways. Within my spiritual beliefs the more we focus on something the bigger it becomes. So to me it only makes sense to give the greatest attention to the good in life rather than magnifying things that we feel are missing. I know that this is who you are Lakota...you continually show that you are grateful for your blessings and certainly do not focus on your challenges and that is why your journey and how you are approaching it is so very admirable. Being thankful for being alive and kicking is something I am grateful for becuase in the short time we've known each other I am grateful for your presence in my life. I am glad you still have your Mom...I miss mine every day and especially on holiday weekends like this. David and I always spend them with Mom and Dad and she loved preparing things for us. We'd ask them to come over so it wouldn't be as much work for her...but until my father passed away in 1998 she always wanted us there. Since their passing we David and i have had to create new traditions and we are...but their presence in our lives will always be missed. How wonderful to hear that your sister will regain sight in one eye. I sincerely hope it all works out...Mom has lost the sight in one eye and the other one was improved by surgery as well. Oh yes, Mylot...and the amazing connections we share here. I agree that we do feel like one big happy family and the bonds we form are a wonderful gift to the spirit. So thanks again my dear friend for adding some wonderful comments to the topic and always know that David and I continue to wish you and your family all the good you so deserve...not only on the day we celebrate Thanksgiving but for many years to come. Hugs and warm and loving regards, Raia
@Lakota12 (42684)
Its my sis in law about the eyes hubbys sis one of them only 3 girls are still alive out of 8 kids. and If my mom goes there will be a hole there but dont know about missing her much fio I really havent been around her all thast much and now when we talk since her stroke it is not the same I was daddys ggirl Wendy was and is mommas girl I think we left our brother in between as he is. dont think he did much with either dad or mom . and I left home back in 57 so to me I am closer to my in laws than my own family . altho I think me and my brother are close. as fo r my sis she was born way after I left home so we didnt get close really she is only 4 years older than Linda I think I got way off here lol Am just rambling. Hey the phone works both ways ya know am here the rest of today and tomorrow and the next day and next dont have to go any where till Tuesday then have to get car tags. hugs
It is funny how family ties work and how it is possible to have friends or in-laws that feel more like family than when we are among those we were raised with. That is the case for David and I. The fact that you are closer to your in-laws is nice to hear because you have a shared love of your hubby and can probably share stories. That is the one thing I do miss is that David and I have our own stories about Mom and Dad...and my friend Carole..but other than that most of our new friends and people in Manitou never knew them so there is no history there. I guess not being close to you Mom has some positives and negatives...you see less of her but it can and often does make it easier to adjust when their time does come. Anyway, just catching up before signing off. I see you 'intuited' the chat DarkWing and I had about offering her feathers. It was clear to me that you sense things. I know you, her and I have a kinship and the sense of soul sisters keeps growing. Mylot is proving a great place to connect with 'new' friends that area actually old friends as you and I already discussed. In regard to a phone chat...I am not sure how the rest of our weekend is going to go as yet. We might be around...or maybe we'll be visiting friends. I trust we'll chat in person soon..but I am glad we are keeping in touch by e-mail in the meantime. I will be wanting to chat for sure after your appointment on the 11th after you've seen your doctor. David and I continue to hold you in our thoughts and prayers...because we care. Wishing you more blessings and big hugs... Raia
@Darkwing (21588)
Toadstool - A toadstool in the woods in Bolney.
Hi Raia and Happy Thanksgiving to you! With my beliefs, I have recently celebrated Mabon, the second harvest festival (which is what Thanksgiving is), but my final harvest will not begin to be celebrated until 31st October, Samhain. These harvest festivals and indeed, the Yule period are times of reflection for us anyway, so I have basics to consider. I have a feeling you'll be able to predict what I'm going to say here but I'm going to say it anyway! ha ha ha. You know how similar we are, so if you bear that in mind, it'll be just fine!:) Firstly, I'm thankful for the great gift of life, and its lessons; the path to wisdom and hopefully, happiness. I'm thankful for the gift of love... enough love to share with my family and friends, close or otherwise, as well as all other humankind in whatever walks of life. I'm thankful for the love my family give to me, the caring, the sharing, the support and encouragement which helps us all through life. I'm thankful for the gifts of our Earth Mother, the harvest, the trees and the beauty of the flowers, the rainbows, the sky, the Sun, the Moon, the water and the general landscape, including all living things. Finally, I'm grateful for having been blessed with an able, healthy body, that I may walk my path, encountering others who will benefit from my help and perhaps my experiences and who return any of these offerings with a sparkling smile. That's about it, my friend, and I don't mind betting you got to each of those before me!:) After all, the connection between us is strong, and our meeting in Mylot was quite timely. Brightest Blessings, my dear friend and Soul Sister. xx
Thank you for your lovely addition to the topic. Yes, dear one we have many similarities in what we value and are thankful for...but I love reading yours. It is very affirming and shows the energetic resonance we have. Reading this is inspiring and many who added to this discussion gave me reason to pause and realize that many more than are often known do share a quiet attitude of gratitude in their daily lives. That can and does, bring more light and love into our Oneness and it is uplifting for me to have that reaffirmed. I have come to be thankful for my connection to you and others here in Mylot Land. The sense of global connectedness is a blessing in my life and why I love to show up every day and touch in with valued friends...and soul sisters like you. I certainly agree that our deepening bond is fulfilling some purpose that we have yes to fully understand...but that is the enjoyment with the process of discovery. So many continued blessings to you.. Warm and loving regards, Raia
Hi again... I haven't been on Mylot as much and regret that I missed your response to this. I loved the enclosed image. I also am very open to discussing your emerging pathways. That is the reason I suggested that we exchange e-mail addresses and other ways of keeping in touch. It is so true that the connections we make do provide so much illumination in subtle and profound ways. It is why I celebrate the One Song when it occurs because it is a constant reminder of spiritual connectedness. So thanks you again... for opening yourself to me...our sisterhood is a gift that keeps on giivng. Warm, loving, light filled regards, Raia
@Darkwing (21588)
Thank you, Raia. I'm just a tad busy right now but I will be in touch. As if Yule and Christmas aren't busy enough times, and Samhain in between, a couple of my friends in the village are getting married in St. Lucia in a couple of weeks, and only close family are attending. Then, when they come home, they're having a party at the pub, for friends, and they asked if I'd make them a wedding cake... ok, that wouldn't be a problem, but as the male partner likes chocolate, Dawn asked me to make an all-chocolate cake. Can you imagine me with chocolate dotted all over me? ha ha ha. I have yet to work out the decoration but I guess white chocolate leaves trailing from the top, down onto the other cake and onto the board? I'm not sure, but I'll get there, I guess. It's not a thing you can do way ahead, so it's going to be a bit of a rush that week!!! :) Brightest Blessings.
@alamode (3073)
One thing I am thankful for is our Canadian friends! All who are here on mylot, and all we met while working and traveling in B.C. We are good neighbors, and I feel that way about everyone... from Victoria shopkeepers to the folks who run the lodges we've stayed in, the ferry employees and even the border people, just to mention a few. We've always been treated graciously, even under harsh circumstances. We are looking forward to our next trip 'up'... until then, have a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration and we'll see you soon!
Hi alamode. Comments like yours are why I love chatting on Mylot. Your attitude of gratitude about your Canadian neighbors is wonderful to hear. When we watched Michael Moore's documentary Bowling for Columbine he explored how Canadians are more laid back with 'down home' mentality. He also observed that we appear to be less fearful about the outworking of things and maybe that is why people here do seem to be able to be open and relaxed around stranger. In any case it is good to hear that you enjoy coming to Canada. If you ever travel to North Dakota we are only a stone's throw from the boarder and you'd be welcome to drop by and have a visit. Keep that in mind..and I mean that sincerely my friend. Warmest regards, as always Raia
@alamode (3073)
Be careful with those invitations! Hun was in North Dakota last week on business, and stopped to see our youngest and her family in Minot... they are stationed there with the Air Force. We are planning to go back in the spring, when our grandson graduates. Fingers crossed, nothing will come up between now and then... I would love to meet you and your Sweetie! Have a happy holiday! jelo
Wow..how kewl is that!!! I got those 'goose-bump' Angel Walks when I read your post. I did not make that offer lightly...if you and your hun are in our neck of the woods we'd be more than happy to have you stop by...or maybe we could even meet you in Minot. We love it there and there was a hotel we used to stay at that had rates that were on par with the Canadian dollar. We also love the Minot zoo and have gone down there for min-vacations in the past...and Spring might be a great time to go again. So...there are some amazing things outworking through Mylot...at times it could be a little mind blowing..but these kinds of things are not knew to me. I do not believe in accidents or coincidences and trust that everything happens for a reason even when I do not understand what it is sometimes. Other times I have had 'ah-hah' moments where in hindsight I go...hmmm so that is why that happened...now I get it! Anyway..good to have you come back and add the interesting footnote to my invite...it is there. Lets see what happens between now and Spring. We could be sharing a laugh, a hug and some fun times in person. In the meantime we'll keep on here...and chat some more. It certainly allows us to get to know more about each other. Wishing you, your hun and your family many blessings... Warm regards, Raia
@kalav56 (11503)
Be it Canadian thanksgiving or Indian thanksgiving, I am most thankful to God for my being alive, for my wonderful family, for having all my faculties, my looks, intelligence and most importantly , every passing day of the year. I am most thankful to God for the Bounties of nature, for umpteen things that we simply take for granted ,for everything in life. Today, my special thanks is for Raia's above discussion because though I have felt this in my heart, today I am spelling it out in black and white AND I feel very happy doing this.
Hello again my wise, wonderful new on-line friend. I love hearing from you and reading about your views and the wisdom they contain. Mylot and all the members are fortunate to have you here...because you add a lot of insight to every response you make. I so agree with you about your daily 'attitude of gratitude' approach to living. It is true in our busy-ness sometimes we forget to remember the countless, bountiful blessings we enjoy every day in large and small ways. Sharing conversations with thoughtful woman like you is one of the main reasons I love Mylot...that and the friendships that evolve as we get to know each other more. I am very appreciative of your participation in Perspectives topics...you add a lot to them! Thank you so much. Raia
@vicki2876 (5640)
Well we are getting ready for our thanksgiving tomorrow at our house. I did some calls out west this morning because all my family is out there. We don't really have too many traditions here coming from a disfunctional background so we are making our own! Every year the kids collect the colored leaves and we decorate the house. We do have a big meal too. We get all dressed up fancy and use fancy glasses and plates. We also each go into other rooms so noone sees and draw or write down all the things we are thankful for and present it to each other before we eat. Even though we are a small family and don't have extended family to go to or anything we are still very thankful for who we have in our lives and the things we have. Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi Vicki... I am sorry that I missed your response...I am not sure how that happened, but I do appreciate your lovely addition to the Thanksgiving discussion. It sounds as if you have put some wonderful traditions in place. We share a parallel experience with not having any extended family either, and David and I both grew up with a lot of dysfunction. With both sets of parents gone and no kids of our own we celebrate with friends and feel grateful that we have what we call our 'soul family.' Thanks for coming by and even though it is belated Thanksgiving greetings...I hope the blessings you enjoy now continue throughout your lives. Warm regards, Raia