Men gets 7,000 lahses in Saudi Arabia...

@babykay (2133)
Ireland
...for the crime of Sodomy. The 2 men were flogged publicly, they only received a portion of the 7,000 lashes and were returned to prison. It seems that they will receive more lahses at a later date. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-5659.html What sort of a place is this? What kind of cretins are these idiots that they do this to men for the crime of expressing their sexuality? I believe the rest of the world, at least the civilized world, should boycott Saudi and other such hell holes in a similar way to the economic embargo that was placed on South Africa. What do you think?
For starters, Saudi Arabia is a strongly Islamic country, they believe strongly in Islam which is reflected both in their culture and way of life. For them sodomy is a crime, as is adultery. They look upon such acts as heinious and against the teachings of the Quran. Please note that homosexuality is considered to be a sin in Islam, as is with alot of religions in the world. They look upon homosexuality as abnormal and not consistent with their teachings. Plus another fact is that Saudi does not have a constitution or a set of rules or guidlines, instead each and every crime is reviewed by a panel of people who look into the Quran and then try to get a punishment in lines with its teachings, in other words, the punishments can vary from crime to crime .
@babykay (2133)
As you said, a lot of religions believe that homosexual acts are wrong. But not a lot of counries execute or flog people for this, in fact the only ones I am aware of are the Muslim countries. I think it is wrong.
@wisedragon (2331)
rape - rape is worse than homosexuality
There are many Filipinas being raped in the Middle East. The perpetrators are rarely arrested or punished. Where's the justice in that? Rape is worse than homosexuality!
@babykay (2133)
yeah there are many women being raped there, within marriages (some children), philipinos, nigerians, sri lankans, its be kip
In order for us to understand their beliefs and principles, I think it would be best to gather facts and information about their religion. We need to learn about Islam. Somebody had suggested that we read this book entitled "Understanding the Koran". With more unformation comes better understanding. It would be tough to fully absorb their ideas but it's worth the try, I think.
@babykay (2133)
I think you are very right in that we need to understand other cultures and belief systems to the ones we are familiar with. But don't you think that this idea should be a 2 way thing? Don't you think that the people who torture people because they are Gay should instead learn about Gay issues, concerns and rights? I do. No person has the right to beat, torture or denigrate another person because they like to sleep with other consenting adults.
@babykay (2133)
I'm all for religious tolerance, but I think we have to see the Islamic fundamentalists for this evil b$tards that they are. Their beliefs are an anathema to all the values of we hold dear in the west. Islam is not just a spiritual religion, but one that imposes a law (Sharia) that is anti-gay, sexist, anti-democracy, anti-freedom of thought, speech, and religion. There is much evil being perpetrated in the name of Islam. We in the west are quick to denounce the evil done in the past in the name of capitalism, christianity, imperialism (well, some of us are). And sure, much of the problems in the Middle East have occurred due to these. But this should not excuse or make tolerable these atrocities.