Guidance counselor tries to yank out student's grills - news story from Miami

@miamilady (4924)
I heard about this one as I was driving my children to school today. Here's the link http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI63789/ Apparently the guidance councelor was outraged because this child was wearing "grills" to school. Apparently there are removable grills and there are grills that are not removable. Maybe she didn't know the difference. She stuck her hand in the childs mouth and yanked it out. It did some damage. They had a call in segement on the radio show I was listening to. Some people were saying it was wrong of the conselor to do that. Some were saying that the parents were wrong for allowing their child to have grills. I think both the counselor and the parents were using bad judgement. What do you think?
@Destiny007 (5820)
While the parent may have used bad judgment in giving the kid those grills... (why the heck couldn't they just call them gold crowns in the first place?).... The counselor used extremely bad judgment in trying to remove them. By doing so this opens the school up for child abuse and civil rights violations, especially since the school has no rules against these grills. The counselor is obviously not qualified to do dental procedures so there is another charge right there. I am torn between the terms stupid and clueless to describe this action. At any rate, the school will probably pay for this little stunt.
Hehe How about moron? "a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgement" I hope they sue the counselor and not really the school. Im sure they will be involved since they hired such a person to treat a child like this. Bay xx
@miamilady (4924)
I do think it would be better if people would sue the individual and hold them responsible for their actions rather than the institution who hires them. Of course the bigger entity is who holds the $$$. I also wonder how some of these administrators and teachers get and keep their jobs. Actually, I know the answers are probably that we have a shortage of teachers and school board policies and teachers unions make it nearly impossible to hire someone once they get into the system. It's a shame. There are some amazing people working in the school system, but there are some amazingly imcompetent folks working there too.
WTF!?!?! Excuse me there, but that is just outrageous! Yes on both parties, but more so on the counselor! What does she care if the parent bought his child some "grills"? Was it harming the counselor in anyway for the kid to have gold crowns on his teeth? I know many older people who have gold crowns and had them before "grills" were even popular! So its not that they just appeared as a fashion statement in the past few years or so and only originated from rap artists. Thats what she was doing, she was associating this with something she really doesnt think is appropriate. Well its not her child to think wether they are appropriate or not. And when she had to keep yanking on them, and saw they were not coming right out, why didnt she stop??? It may not have been the right thing to reward a child with, but thats the decision of the parent. Not a counselor at a school. I hope they sue, and not the school, sue the counselor personally. That counselor stepped way out of her boundaries. Bay xx
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
What are grills. I am assuming that it has something to do with braces. All I know is that there is no excuse for what the counselor did. She had no right to yank anything out of any child's mouth. If she asked her to remove it and the child did not, then the parents should have been called.
@dbhattji (2507)
What are grills ? Is it the same as braces that we use to straighten teeth?
@musicman6 (2370)
If its wrong to wear grills, its wrong to wear rings, earrings,bracelets, necklaces, makeup,tatoos,! If that counselor had done that to my child,I would have stuffed those grills down there in him, where the sun don't shine! Whether it was wrong or right, it wasn't his place to remove them, because he violated her personal space!
@Flight84 (3050)
The counselor definitely had no right to put her hand in the child's mouth and rip out anything. I hope she has to pay for all damages. As for the parents, those things aren't cheap from what I hear, so why let the kid wear it to school? Grills are the thing now, but perhaps not in a school setting or even on a young child. I couldn't believe it was a fifth grader! I guess it comes in all ages, but the guidence counselor should not have touched that child.
@THKOhio (330)
I think that the parents and the counselor made bad choices, as you said. Sounds like yet another item the school districts need to add to their dress code as not being allowed. I would never allow a child of mine to wear something like that, but to each their own, I suppose. I guess the removeable one wouldn't be AS bad, as they could take it out when they went to school...
@naty1941 (2336)
The Counselor is out of order she should have contacted the parents if they don't allow gold teeth in that school.
@Lakota12 (42684)
Think I know what a grill is now lol I was thinking a grill on a car. But I see no right that the conseal had for puting her hand in the kids mouth.!
@pismeof (855)
The guidance counselor should of had Her fingers bit off."Nuff Said"
@thefortunes (2368)
• Netherlands
Hi Miamylady, this is definitely a very wrong thing to do. She should have called the parents instead of janking the grill out of the child's mouth. I'd be so outraged if this was my child, really, I think this was an awful act of incompetence of the teacher TheFortunes
I agree. The parent shouldn't have bought the grills and the counselor was wrong trying to remove them.Back in my day, the child would have been sent to the princpal's office and his/her parent, most likely his/her mother, would have been called.Then both parent and principal would have had a talk. And between the two of them there would have come to an understanding. The grills would be bad for school and the child wouldn't wear them at school.And that would be that. Now I bet the child's family can and will sue the school.