Vets' office hours

@scribe1 (1207)
For the most part, veterinarians are competent, hard-working individuals. But I've noticed that none of them seem to be available for emergencies that unfortunately happen AFTER office hours. Early last October, when my Tabitha became extremely ill (she couldn't even lift her fluffy tail as she used the litterbox), I drove around with her in the carrier, looking for help. Unfortunately, she died on the way. Maybe a few select vets' offices could be set up like emergency clinics, with vets working on shifts like doctors for humans. Then tragedies like I've experienced last year could be minimized.
@maybebaby (1231)
We have an after hours emergency vet in where I live. It has done us wonders as I've had to go there with my dog on two seperate occaisions so far. She had a glucoma flare up that needed immediate attention to get the pressures down the the emergency vet did a great job. Of course it is more expensive than the regular vet, but frankly, who cares. They are saving your pets life after all.
I am really sorry to hear about your cat. Just for future reference, if you call your vet's number, on their machine they will usually give a number of the emergency/after hours vet or one of the vets is oncall. If you leave a message, their pager will ring and they will retrieve it. I have been called within a few minutes of calling. In my case, they were able to talk me through my dog's problem and disaster was averted but if I needed it they gave me the address of the vet hospital in the next town or would have met me at the office. One local vet puts a sign on the door at night with the number as well.
@moxalot (100)
I'm sorry to hear about your Tabitha. It can be frustrating when our 4 legged children are sick. I know the veterinarian I worked for had a beeper for after hours emergencies. The veterinarian I use for Josie and Spec now has an after hour emergency number also. I had to use once last year when my old girl (Sprite) had a stroke. She was 20 years old with a bad heart... And if they couldn't deal with an emergency then they had the number to an animal emergency clinic. I don't know where you live, but here in St. Louis they have several AEC's. There is one in North County (it's only open at night). There is one in South County (that one is open 24 hours). And then there are a few others around the area. It's surprising that the vet didn't have an after hours number for emergencies. I'm sorry to hear about poor Tabitha. It's amazing that cats have the ability to not show how sick they are. I imagine it's a survival thing... Best Wishes
Yes very correct. As it is the number of vets are few when compared to human doctors and then also their working times are spaced apart to accommodate a lot of animals at different places. They have a fixed time and day of the week when they visit a particular clinic for a fixed period of time. you can go there for pre-appointed check-ups. But for emergency situations, there is no place you can turn to for help. The problem is further compounded by the lack of a proper vet hospital in most cities.
@sedel1027 (17868)
In our area there are 3 after hours clinics that are not far for where we live. We even have one vets office that has Sunday hours just for regular vet visits. Normally, if you have a regular vet and you call their office after hours there is a number on their answering machine about how you can call in an emergency. There are usually after hours or emergency vets listed in the phone books as well. Also, I have heard of people taking animals to the human ER and often they will at least try to treat the animal or bring in a vet to treat the animal.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Oh scribe1. I'm so sorry that happened to you. That had to be hard. Try to remind yourself, you did the best you could which you did. You tried to find help and you couldn't. That's more than some people would do. Look in your phone book or call and ask your veterinarian about an after hours clinic and where it is so in case you'll need it again. I've had to use the one near us a few times in which I thanked God that it was there or else I'd not know what I'd do. Maybe find the vet through the white pages and call him/her at home? I'd have done anything - in my right mind, for my babies. Bless your heart!