Have you, or someone you know, ever appeared in a play?

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - This is the 'Wizard' from my daughter's play, as he appeared on stage. They did a great job with sets etc., and 'he' was amazing to see.
My daughter had several 'chorus parts' in their high school musical, last spring. They presented the 'Wizard of Oz,' and did an amazing job. They're an 'arts school,' so have many talented students there. The performers, sets, costumes etc., were 'wonderful!' They're going to be presenting 'Footloose' next spring. Please share your 'theatrical stories' here. Thanks.
@carmelanirel (20979)
That is cool someonesmom, our neighbor and her family have been in many plays from the high school to community theater. Now my daughter is interested since she is great friends with the neighbors daughter who recently was Maria in West Side Story..:)
@webeishere (36353)
Even after my children were done with school I have gone to the local High School to see plays. Some of those kids are great actors/singers. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~~
My niece is in her third year of university, and is a drama major. She's quite talented, and has aspirations to act professionally, when she's through. Like your neighbours, she's been in both school and community theatre performances. I think this is where my daughter's interest came from, and she (my daughter) has some talent along these lines too. All the best to your daughter, in her endeavours. I've seen 'West Side Story' a couple of times, and have enjoyed it. Thanks for your response.
I agree, Grandpa Bob. I love high school plays!
I can't even remember the play I was in during high school. But it was set in old Roman times or something and we all wore sheets as Toga's. I was so uncoordinated in wrapping mine that I left a boob out, and the whole thing started slipping off. I just remember it being a crumpled mess that I tried to keep around me until I was done. As for the Janet Jackson part of the act, I'm not sure if anyone noticed. I was in high school and had small boobies, plus my skin blended well with the white sheet. So my audience might have been oblivious... I don't remember.
One of the jitterbugs - This really shows off the colourful costumes. They did such a great job with them.
Hi ChaJudLeoBit,This sounds like an interesting production. I'm sure you look back on the part with your costume, as funny now, although it'd be different back then. Thanks for your response. Here's another photo from my daughter's play, of one of the 'jitterbugs.'
Oh, it was pretty funny then. too. Just not until afterwards and I was telling the story.
@mummymo (23709)
I remember you telling me about this honey! I am afraid I haven't had much experience of plays apart from being in the 'choir' at a school performance of Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat - even though I can't sing a note, at least I was drowned out by the others! lol xxx
Lion and friend - The lion was amazing. He's such a talented kid.
Hi mummymo,It's wonderful that you were in 'Joseph.' I love this musical, and my niece has been in it a couple of times. I'm sure your singing is outstanding!:) Thanks for sharing, as always. Here's another photo, from my daughter's play, of the 'lion and friend.'
@webeishere (36353)
When my daughter was a preteen and teen she was very active in our church. She did many plays while with the youith group. She even traveled to Chicago to put on a play at a church there. Was cool seeing her act. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
Part of one of the sets from the school production - They had very professionally done sets for this, and really put lots of work, and effort into it.
Hi Grandpa Bob,Things like this are always exciting, especially when our kids, or other family members are involved. I enjoy seeing my daughter on stage, as well. By the way, 'the Wizard photo,' with the discussion starter, is an 'actual photo' we took from my daughter's play, of their depiction of the Wizard. Here's another photo of the set, as well. Thanks for your response.
I have appeared in a parody with my friends in high school. The parody was created by us and was about the 4 types of music: hip&hop, rock, manele (a Romanian music style) and a Romanian rich guy ho wanted to be a rap star, but the only thing that he achieved was a new bar or stupidity and self foolish. The parody was great and we received laurels from everyone there. And the all high school was talking about it for weeks. It was great.
Congratulations on your high school performance, scarfaceboston. I'm sure it was a lot of fun for all of you, who created it. It's great when something is so well received like this, after all of your hard work. Thanks for sharing.
@pyewacket (44036)
I was actually a Drama Major in college, and during my senior year in High School attended Stella Adler's School of Drama...yup I had had aspirations of being involved in the acting world, either as an actress or scenic design. One of my favorite plays I was in was The Miracle Worker where I played Helen Keller as a young girl..remember the movie with a young Patty Duke? Also seemed to forever be playing the role of Ibsen's Hedda Gabler. As much as I loved acting I also loved being involved with the scenic design crew for plays Does your daughter have dreams of being in the acting world?
Tree, from the Wizard of Oz - This tree 'really stood out!'
Hi pyewacket,I'm excited to hear that you were so involved in the theatre, back in your school days. Congratulations on winning the role of Helen Keller. I'm sure you did a great job. I love that movie, and especially the one with Patty Duke. I've also seen Melissa Gilbert in the role, and then the newer Disney version, as well. I'm not familiar with 'Hedda Gabler.' My daughter is thoroughly enjoying being in the 'performing arts' program at her high school. She worked hard to be accepted into this. She's been cast in several 'chorus parts' for the production of 'Footloose' next spring, and loved her 'Wizard' experience. She'd like to be involved in community theatre, if possible, after high school. My niece is studying acting, at the university level, and 'hopes' to be a professional actor, after she graduates. Thanks for sharing this. Here's a photo of one of the trees, from Wizard.
I was in Heaven's Gates and Hells Flames and my Youth Group also did several small skits on occasion and I would appear in several of these as we did these in other churches as well as our own often! I enjoyed these experiences very much but that is as far as I went! :) My sister-in-law was in a small scale play in her grade seven year and has played in larger scale roles in highscool...I have watched her in these productions and she is quite talented at singing and dancing! I am very proud of her :) Thanks for the great discussion as always and the addition of your photos. xxx
Tinman and friend - They really went all out with the costumes, and did such a professional job.
Hi heavenschild,Thanks for sharing this with me. That's about as far as I went too, and I definitely didn't have the talent that I've seen displayed by my niece, or my daughter. I'm not sure 'who they take after.' I'm sure your sister-in-law would be quite pleased, to know that you've paid her this compliment.;) You're welcome, and here's another Wizard photo too.
Truly your daughter was priviledged to have been a part of such a professional production! Thanks also for the photo :) xxx~Heavens~
She sure was, and you're welcome!:)
@applsofgld (2506)
My daughter is the theatrical person in my family. She is so talented and she could have gone to Hollywood and made it big time if she had of wanted too. But she gave her heart to Jesus and uses her talents for Him now. But she was in a big production in high school, Anne of Green Gables, she was Anne. She did an outstanding job, matter of fact I think she memorized all the characters lines :) She was also Mary, in It's a Wonderful Life.
Scarecrow and friend - The costumes were so colourful, and creative.
Hi applsofgld,Thanks for sharing about your daughter. Does she do a lot of church productions etc.? My niece is planning on pursuing an acting career, and is majoring in this in university. She was 'Diana' in Anne of Green Gables, when she was younger. All of these productions are great.:) Here's another Wizard photo ... the final one, of a group of three, with the scarecrow.
@weemam (13389)
My youngest grandson is 10 , he was the king in the school play last week , He said NO WAY was he going to dance with the queen lol , but he did xx
Hi weemam, That's great about your grandson. It's so much fun to see family on stage. Which king was he? I'm glad he decided to dance with the queen.:)
@weemam (13389)
I am not really sure pal , he was still a wee bit embarased when we were talking about it as he said shw was so tiny lol , I will try and findout and let you know xxx
Thanks, so much.:)
@twoey68 (13651)
I actually took a drama class in school and hated every second of it. I never had to do a play b/c about 3 weeks into the class I changed to another class b/c I couldn't stand it. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
Hi twoey, That's interesting, and I guess it's just a matter of what each person loves. My daughter's really into it, and enjoys performing so much. It's been really good for her. Thanks for your response.
My son(aged 9) was in his first play last spring. The play was the Pirates of Captain Bree (which up until then I had never heard of), the oldest child in the play was 13/14 and it was put on by the school at the local town theater. What was truly amazing was that it was a wonderful production, yet no prompting or back stage help was allowed by adults, the children were expected to help each other(which they did), even the lights and music was controlled and operated by children from the school. I was impressed! My Dad is in a pantomime in a couple of weeks as is my nephew. My Dad is 75 and he only started getting involved in these in the last few years.
Hi justabloke, That's wonderful about your son being able to participate in something like this. These things are so important to kids, and I love to see 'the arts' encouraged. A number of years ago my nephew, in grade seven at the time, was in a production of Mary Poppins. They too, did a terrific job. I've never heard of 'Captain Bree' either. Is it a musical too? That's exciting about your dad, and your nephew also, and I'd be interested to hear how things go with this. It's great that your dad's doing this now, so this helps prove, 'it's never too late.' Thanks for sharing, and welcome to myLot.
@vera5d (4007)
i was an angel once in a play called "the best christmas pageant ever"...i think i must have only been 4 or 5 because my grandma was still alive and not sick w/cancer yet...she used to be the piano player at the playhouse...i remember auditioning for the part and being too shy and on the way home i said it perfectly in the car, and i felt mad at myself about that...haha...i for some reason remember waaaay too much about childhood. in high school i played french horn in orchestra for the musicals...i liked that a lot...it was funny we had little groups of people, us "band geeks" & them "the choir snobs"...:)
Hi vera5d, My daughter's school is like this as well. They have their band cliques, choir and acting ones etc. I guess this type of thing is universal. Thanks for your response.
@Rueca08 (101)
I love watching plays but I don't like playing in it. When I heard that my aunt entered me in our school play, I saif to myself "this is a disaster..". But after some time, I started to enjoy myself.
Hi Rueca08, I really love watching plays too, and this is something my daughter and I do with my sister and her family, quite often. I'm glad you had fun in your school play. Thanks for your response.