Donating without leaving your house.

last week I had a bag of boys clothing not in use. It was also in great use for another person's kids. My daughter placed the bag on the curb with marker written on the white bag. Boys clothing free. They were taken in no time flat. Yesterday I was given 2 beautiful long wool coats for my daughter. I was so hoping they fit her. We are now in NY and freezing. They were to small for her arms. So again we placed the on hanger hung them on the gate. I taped a note stating free. They were gone super fast by a church member. I purposely set them out when church was letting out. I could not see them hit the trash. Next week I have a leather coat to add to the gate. Please list your ways of helping out. Thanks
That's a great idea. We did the same thing when we lived in the suburbs. We just put it out and marked it free. I have a funny story though. I was trying to give an exercise bike away and it said "free" forever and no one took it. A friend suggested that I put a sign that said "$10" on it and see what happened. Well, I did and two days later someone stole it. Go figure.
LOL I can truly believe this one. I am laughing my head off. I will be telling my friends about this one. :)
@Polly1 (12649)
I guess you are freezing. I had forgot you moved to NY, your profile still says Florida. Big change for you. I just responded in your discussion about turning on the heat, yes you need heat, its gotten cold. As for your comment. Have you ever checked out freecycle. Most cities have it. Just type in freecycle and your city. There are groups that will recycle used or new things that you don't want or can't use. You post something you have, if someone wants it, they contact you, on freecycle. You can then communicate with the person and they can pick up whatever you were donating. You can also list things that you want and if someone has it and wants to donate it, they will contact you and set up a time for you to come and get it. Its all free and for anyone, Its great when you don't want to throw something away and want it to go to someone who can use it. Remember its called Freecycle and most cities have it. Its all done on the computer until you set up a time to pick up the stuff. Some people furnish their whole house this way. You can get almost anything or you can get rid of almost anything. My church has rummage sales 2 times a year and also I give to neighbors, etc. I don't throw anything in the trash that still has good use left.
I was part of freecycle Miami. It was very nice to get things picked up. There is no freecycle near my home now. I am sure still freezing as well.
@cefaz_21 (2597)
That was a good idea and so nice of you... I think we can do it here in our place too and all the itmes will be gone in few seconds. For now, we are also selling used clothes we collected from our church memebers and friends,this is a fund raising for the scholarship program of the church.
@raydene (9875)
I commend you. It is a good thing to help others..I am doing alot of fundraising for alot of worthy organizations..I have found a great company to work with..I am making a living and helping others and I seldom leave my house..With my expenses since I kicked out my cheating hubby of 27 years I can not afford to drive around much. With my heart so newly broken i find that it helps me as much as the ones I am helping..Everytime I help someone my heart heals a little more.. Big Hugs Friend
We've done that here also. Not usually with clothes but other household items. It usually only lasts 5 minutes with a free sign out on the curb. I use Freecycle a lot though to get rid of items. They come right to you and pick it up or you can choose an alternate location to give it to them. I usually donate a few items and then ask for something that we need to see if someone has it. I bring lots of stuff to charities. I donate clothes to my youngest son's school because they sell them and use the funds for the school so it helps them stay in business (they don't get funds from the state). We also swap a lot of clothes with people. I'm the go-between for a lot of families. If I find something that they can use from someone else I will get it and bring it to them. It's nice to give things away and know that you are helping someone.
@carpenter5 (6786)
You have a good heart to help others out with things that you are no longer in need of. I have gone through my closet and pulled out things that I could no longer wear for those who have lost clothing in house fires, for the poor who just need something warm to wear or for garage sales for various charities. Next week the Senior class at my daughter's school is having a sale to raise money for their Senior mission trip. I have donated all kinds of things that I no longer use to them.
@crazynurse (7489)
That is such a wonderful thing that you do! I live on a very small, out-of-the way street that might see 3-4 cars per day so that wouldn't work for me. I work right down the street from our homeless shelter and a low-rent housing complex. I often take my items and just sit them on their doorsteps! I wish my town had a Free-cycle or Craig's list, but we don't. Kudos to you for your kind heart!
@spoiled311 (5502)
hi gifts! that is nice...but i think it is not applicable here in our place. someone with bad intentions might take it and sell it to somebody else. so the purpose of helping will not be fulfilled. in my case, i purposefully give out my clothes and other stuff to people who i think will need them. i give these to them personally, as i also know a lot of people in need. anyway, let us just be sensitive to the needs around us because for sure, there are a lot. take care and always continue doing good. God bless you! :-)
I couldn't trust people like you do. I know if I donated anything it would be sold. Especially in my neighborhood. I have a lot of baby clothes I am only willing to give it to someone I know that will use it. My bf and I have storage so that's where we stick everything we don't need or use. Eventually we will need it again.
@sweetdesign (5151)
I list my still usable stuff I know longer want or need on my local freecycle board. I can then pick a new home for the item(s) from the responders and arrange for a pick up time. It is great and my stuff gets used by another family who needs or wants it.
well u have a very kind heart.but u can't really be sure that the person who has taken it really needs it.maybe he is selling it to somebody...why don't you donate it to somebody needy with your own hands like that u have the satisfaction that it reached some needy.
@subathra (3519)
Thats so nice of you to help the needy by donating in this manner..actually we have a cupboard in our house where all family members place old clothes after washing it..we have a regular visit from different orphanges in our locality atleast once in a month and they visit every door steps to collect clothes and money..we the people donate whatever we can and my mom always donate clothes to them..
• Kuwait
In our place there is nothing to happens like that,,, we need to reach out to donate and help others,,, there are some beggars that knocks our door but aside from that nothing like that...Thanks God.