How to type faster, any ideas?

@writersedge (22579)
Hi, I'm trying to type faster. I have a typing test coming up very soon. Do you know how to type more than 35 words a minute? Can you give me any advice on how to type faster? Do you know of any sites that help increase typing speed? I only know learn2type. But it mostly is for beginners learning the keyboard, and also has some tests for speed. Thank you for whatever you can do.
I know a shortcut to type fast. Just try to chat more via the net and after a few days you will find your typing speed increase a lot.
@writersedge (22579)
I can type what I'm thinking rapidly already. But reading and typing what someone else thought, way slower. The reason is exactly that, I type what I think all the time, but don't read and type what someone else thinks very much. Took the test today, and I think I passed anyway, but slowly. Take care
@quanto50 (142)
• Sweden
actually typing fast comes with the time and of course in accordance with your typing habits.For example how often do you really need and must type in order to get something achieved or done?or what are you going to need the typing for and how urgently and seriously you are going to need it.Because I gained my typing skills by the time.Because the more you practice , the more you type faster and there is no better way of doing it faster and ina more efficient way.So just try to type more often and just feel like that you really need to or like to type what you would type.
@writersedge (22579)
See my new post, just took the test.
@MarieJ23 (1041)
Hi friend! As far as I remember, the very important thing that you need to do is to familiarize the keys in the keyboard. There are specific placement of your fingers in the keyboard. Once you're familiar with the keys and what finger should hit that key, then you can just type without looking into the keyboard. During my high school time, we were taught about it. We tried even on the typewriter before going to the PC. Typewriter was difficult because you need to push the keys harder. Try to have some sample documents that you can practice on. As for me, the familiarization of the keyboard's keys and what finger should I use for that specific key helps me a lot. Right now, I can type faster even without looking on the keyboard. Just practice my friend and soon you'll be fast too.
@writersedge (22579)
I know the home row keys, I just don't seem to get much faster. I leaned when I was 17 or 18 and now I'm 49 years old, you would think I'd be faster by now. I am faster than then, but not by very much. Take care
@drannhh (15245)
I learned the same way that Goth did, but when I had to brush up to pass job placement tests, I used software to increase speed. My favorite was a game where letters fell from the sky and you would shoot them down by hitting the right key fast enough. Then from letters it went to words. I think the name of it was Word Drop or something like that. The best thing about using game software to increase typing speed is that it gets you in the habit of being relaxed. I thank the Word Drop game for the fact that I was able to sit and type very fast and still be relaxed enough to be accurate and keep going with 7 different bosses screaming at each other over my head. You can ask them to please shut up, but they don't, you know, especially in a busy law office. This one appears to be similar: http://www.topshareware.com/Type-Fast-download-35429.htm It is very important to know where the keys are without looking, so in the old days they made up tape a sheet of paper over the keyboard and type under it. I used to practice just hitting imaginary keys on my lap everywhere, like riding the bus, for example. Be sure to rest frequently and just keep pushing to go faster and faster. I have passed tests at 90 wpm in the past with no more than 3 mistakes, but anyone who sees all the typos I leave in myLot replies would never believe it. It has been many years since I had to type for a living, you see.
@writersedge (22579)
Those games are fun. There used to be fore free ones. I really wish I could type 90 words a min. At learn2type, the most I've ever gotten is 50 wpm with 3 errors. But I can't keep up that pace very long. Interesting, topshareware, will need to check it out. 7 different bosses screaming at each other over your head, what kind of a nutcase law office was that? No wonder you're not there any more. Take care and I bet you enjoy peace and quiet after all that.
I am a touch typist and was trained way back in the sixties. We were taught to type on a heavy old manual typewriter with a shield placed over the keyboard so we couldn't see the keys. The best exercise I can recommend would be to take a page from a newspaper or magazine, and type the words you see at eye level if possible. It is quite surprising when you realise that you are gradually getting faster and faster as your fingers become more flexible and you concentrate on the reading rather than the typing
@writersedge (22579)
I also learned on a manual typewriter. I was hoping for advice on getting typing practice for business applications since I will be typing for an office. But copying the paper is free and is worth a try.
@alamode (3073)
I don't think '4-finger jelo' can help you with this one! But I'll be checking back to see what info you get... I could use some help myself!
@writersedge (22579)
Hi Alamonde, I type what I think very fast now, thanks to Mylot and Helium. But I don't type what I see in front of me very fast and formatting, etc. So I will be very interested in seeing if anyone can help me. Take care
It will take for many months or even years for you to master the keyboard and be able to type faster. What is important right now is to type and type and try to concentrate from what you are doing. If you are still a beginner, then it is likely that you have to see the keyboard first while typing. After gradual improvement while typing, you will just realize that you do not anymore look on the keyboard. This is because of the instinct and memorization that you already enhance while typing. If you have a typing test, then you need to practice extensively and regularly. Have a nice day and God speed!
@quanto50 (142)
• Sweden
Ok I congratulate you with your test.. so was it hard or easy for you? what mark did you get like in terms of poor normal or the best? I think typing will be one of the most important credentials in type work or in any kind of computer related jobs and I think it will ease your job approval wish you further success
@writersedge (22579)
It was hard. I kept trying to go my fastest, but then I would make a mistake and have to go back. But I wouldn't see the mistake until a word later because the words were coming up late. Some people type 90 words a minute, they would be five words down before errors showed up and using the mouse to make corrections was blocked. So I probably typed 50 words a min. with all the deletions and back spaces. Plus 2 spaces after the period, I'm used to one. Years ago I took a test where it was the other way around. I was used to 2 and made errors because they only wanted 1! Take care and thank you for caring and the congrats!
@jiangli (363)
Just as you ,i type slowly ,whether its Eglish or chinese! You can find some materials to study touch typing
@writersedge (22579)
"You can find materials to study touch typing," I know the home row keys and that's what I was asking for, the materials to study to go faster. Take care
@applsofgld (2506)
I don't know of any sites to go to, although I am sure there are some really good ones out there. I learned to type in the 8th grade, and that was a very very long time ago, trust me. But I was very good at it according to my teacher, and it stuck with me. I can tell you, that practice practice practice will help you the most. Best of luck with it.
@writersedge (22579)
I took touch typing in High School. Got 30 wpm. But years later, I still am not much faster. Strangely, I can type from my head at Mylot or even for Helium very quickly, but not what someone else has written. Take care.