Discipline and the young toddler

What methods of discipline work for an 18 month old child? I have been told to put her in time out, but dont believe that would work for a child so young. What do you guys do?
There's really not much you can do at that age. So repeating yourself seems to be about the only thing that you can do. Other than taking away a favorite toy.
Thanks very much. Any advice on this topic is very helpful to me! I will try anything at this point with her!!
@rlporter (516)
Time out will work for a child that young. They do understand as long as you: give them a warning, explain what is wrong/why and what will happen the next time, BE CONSISTENT (this is where most parents fail big time), and follow-through. One-minute is all he/she needs in time out. If they come out, put them back in. Keep it up until they stay put for their time. After, explain again what was wrong/why/what will happen next time. Did I mention Consistency is KEY!!? :) Good luck.
Thank you so much! I see where Im messing up now...consistency is my downfall when it comes to disciplining her...