Kids' Bones!

@anniepa (27236)
This may seem strange but it's something that's been bothering me for a few weeks now. I've done discussions about kids' sports and whether they can be too dangerous. I know there's a risk in anything we do and it's no different for kids so I'm certainly not inclined to say kids shouldn't play football or any other sport. However, just on my grandson's midget football team this season there have been the following injuries...an ankle broken in two places (this actually happened in school phys. ed. class), a broken wrist, another broken ankle, a possible hip fracture and a possibly collarbone fracture. All the injured boys are 11 or 12 years old and in excellent condition, none of them in the least bit overweight and all very used to physical activity on a daily basis all year around. Is it just me or is this an unusually large number of fractures or possible fractures for healthy kids of that age? It does worry me; is it in the food they eat or something else environmental or just a coincidence? Annie
@barehugs (8986)
Seems to me there's way too much priority on competitive sports in our schools. To much emphasis on winning, and Yes there are too many injuries, and some of these injured kids will go thru life with a handicap because of over zealous coaches and parents. Part of the problem is Pro Sports where there is too much pysical contact. Every season there are "Hits" as they are called in Hockey, that either break bones, break necks, or otherwise puts the unfortunate player out of the game for months of healing therapy. The Attacker gets a slap on the wrist, while the Kids get a lesson in poor sportsmanship, and bad manners. Its No coincidence!And It's become a way of life in North America.
@mkirby624 (1599)
I would rather their be competition in sports than "every kid makes the team" "every kid gets to play" and "there's no losing team" It's unrealistic. In the real world, you compete for jobs and better positions. Some people win and some people lose. if you dont' compete, you lose.
@barehugs (8986)
Imagine if you will, a world where everyone cooperates by working, and playing together, for the good and happiness of all. Broken bones are very rare because In this world Parents do not jump up and down screaming,"Kill the ba$tards!" as there are no competitive sports. The games are played without Losers, because everyone is a Winner and all are happily playing together.
@suspenseful (40316)
When I was young, we drank a lot of milk ate a lot of cheese. It sounds like a lack of calcium. Kids are drinking a lot of pop now and junk food and that is bound to have an effect. We hardly ate junk food, and even later on in the 1960s, food like chips and pop were mainly for parties. So we had very strong bones, the only ones were the ones who did not drink milk. It could also be something in the water, but I do not know what it could be.
@anniepa (27236)
Thank you for making an excellent point and I'm sorry for taking so long to reply to this. You're so right about our diets compared to those of today's kids. We sure didn't have soda (pop) machines in our schools at all and we didn't get all the chips and other junk food that kids get on a daily basis these days. that could be a factor. Annie
@worldwise1 (14887)
You could use the argument that kids are not made out of sturdy stuff today, anniepa, but I think kids are just naturally going to suffer broken bones if they lead an active lifestyle. It used to be something like a "badge of honor" when a kid broke something. It showed that they were rough and tumble kids. They naturally take risks with no regard to the consequences. I wouldn't worry so much unless these injures were a result of physical abuse.
@mkirby624 (1599)
I teach middle school and we have a kid with a broken leg, broken collar bone, broken arms, etc that play football. I dont' think it's a high number of injuries, really, just ebcause football is a dangerous sport and you take that risk when you allow them to play. Plus kids are bigger at this age than they used to be, and a lot stronger, so they hit harder.
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
Kids are bound to get injured during sports games, just as adults do. That's why I don't understand why they like it so much. My sisters and I never broke bones when we were little. Of course, we were not good enough at sports to place much either. I broke my leg for the first time a year and a half ago. It was a miracle that it took that long, as I am accident prone. I thought I was going to die from the pain. I do not think that children should play at a very young age, because their bones are still developing. I also believe that they should be very serious about their health while planning sports. Get enough sleep the night before, eat right, and don't clown around so much. Kinds get some of the worst injuries from just clowning around. My orthopedic surgery told me something that has always stuck with me. He told me to take good care of my legs, because I would need them to take care of me for the rest of my life. I know that this may sound obvious, but most people take these things for granted.
It could be the lack of calcium in their diets. Well maybe it is that they don't get enough calcium in their diet. Another reason is that the kids are more physical these days.