Sweet life cut short

@MsTickle (24752)
Australia
We had rain today...it was so wonderful and very badly needed. We've perhaps had 2 inches all up. The dirt road out of town has been closed. Apparently two road trains carrying stock to sales ended up in the table drain and it's a huge operation to drag them out. There is a grain truck, it's a b-double and two road trains carrying stock lined up outside my door, settled in for the night cos they ain't going anywhere. I had a power failure earlier, it was only for a couple of hours, some of us were hit, some not...it's the way it goes sometimes. There were two big storms. The first one dropped two baby sparrows on my verandah. My friend Greg picked one up and we put him in a pot plant. Banjo showed us where the other one was. He was the feisty one, sqarwking and hopping mad but only half grown and not sure what his wings are for. I moved them to a hanging plant in case Mum or Dad tried to feed them. We couldn't find the nest in the eaves. I was out checking when the feisty one decided to take off. He flapped and flew ....down to the ground. He tried again but his wings are just not strong enough. I picked him up and put him back. I picked up the littler one and he snuggled up into my hair, that was a nice feeling. Then the other one again took off and sadly the little dog from up the road decide to get in on the act. I got the little one away but it was a quick sad passing. He should have listened when I told him he had to wait a little longer. Later, there was a huge gusting storm and I suddenly remembered the little one in the potplant on the verandah. He was standing up and shaking himself, half drowned but seeming stronger. I'm hoping he had a drink. I bought him inside but again, he climbed up into my shirt and hair and settled. I put him in a box with a cloth so he could feel snuggly. Looking in on him a little later he was gone! I found him further down on the table and he was trying to fly.! I tried to feed him a moth and some water but he wouldn't take it so I put him in my office in his box on the floor. I hope he lives and can be let go tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to feed him?
That is really sweet that you were trying to help the little birds out :) I know I'm extremely back up on here and I'm a week late on this one but I'd like to know how it all turned out for the little guys.
@MsTickle (24752)
Well, the following morning, I put the second little guy up in a hanging pot plant at sun-up. All the sparrows were twittering about and very excited about something. 3 hours later he was gone. I'm guessing he was able to fly away. Later that evening there was another one...out the back this time. I had read that they eat insects, worms, seeds and other things and I had some wild bird seed mix. I put him in a box with a bottle cap of water and some seed. He was rather a fat little bird and his legs were not too strong. He got out of the box during the night and tried flying off the table but he seemed ok and spent the rest of the night in his box, on the floor in the office with the door shut in case Banjo found him. I was in the office around 6 am logging on to my computer and at 7am he was sitting on the corner of his box. A little later he was sitting in a patch of sunshine. He was trying to get his balance so he could hop around but he seemed too heavy or didn't have the strength in his legs. He seemed happy sitting in the sun. At about 10am, my session over I went out to do some chores and a bit later I went in and he was gone. As in passed away. I was so sad. Later that evening I found a micro bat in the hallway and while I was cooking dinner, Banjo had put another one on the mat, at my feet in the kitchen. Banjo was sitting a few feet away, looking innocent. It was still light outside so after checking with the wildlife rescue centre, I was able to release them both, unharmed later that night in the dark.
WOW! You've had your share of birds and the like lately :) I'm so glad to hear though that they're all back in the wild and flying happily :) Thanks so much for the update!
@weemam (13389)
no suggestions what to feed him pal , but I so much enjoyed reading one of your discussions again , it was a nice feeling , take care my special friend xxxxx
@MsTickle (24752)
It's a learning curve Wee. Thanks for joining in, xxx.
@worldwise1 (14890)
That was a very kind thing for you to do, Ms Tickle, to try and save those little sparrows. Sometimes though, in spite of all we do, the worst will happen. You can take some consolation in the fact that one of their lives was spared-thanks to you.
@Lakota12 (42794)
can you find any worms? they like tehm best. so sorry the other one didnt make it and hope this morning bring beter luck of this one flying away. hugs
@lilaclady (28270)
Oh what a nice person you are, I hope the little fella survives, I often wonder how birds cope in the wind and rain, there are trees at the back of my place, it is funny you can hear them but never see them unless they fly out from the trees, they are little survivers...