Casino Refuses to Pay Jackpot Winner!

@worldwise1 (14887)
It seems that a man was playing the slots at the Sandia Resort and Casino in New Mexico last August when he hit a jackpot for more than $1 million dollars. You can well imagine how excited he was. He was being congratulated all around and everything was good. A short time later he was summoned into an office for a "conference." It turns out that the operators of the Indian casino flat-out told him that they would not honor his winnings because there was a computer error. They explained that the slot could not pay out more than $2,500. The man was outraged(as I would have been). He is trying to fight the decision made by the casino operators and claims he was intimidated during the conference. This story which I read on ABC News.com adds that casinos ran by Indians often operate out of the bounds of the normal law. I think this means that the law cannot touch them if they refuse to pay him. He said he was given $375 and a few free meals. I don't think he should have accepted anything until this case was settled.
@Aurone (4758)
Well. that just sucks. Computer error or not, they should have to pay up.
@worldwise1 (14887)
They probably have the good lawyers, Aurone, and this guy won't stand a chance. He would have been better off taking the $2,500 payout that they offered him.
@Aurone (4758)
Probably, but it still seems unfair. If you can't win at a casino, then why play?
@martinha (631)
• Portugal
If he won, he has the right to claim the prize. It's not his problem that they had a problem with the computer, that's the Casino problem. I think he shouldn't have accepted a thing from them because now the Casino is going to say he accepted their offer. Even knowing he should receive the prize, I don't think he will receive it. Casinos have power and they will use that power and their money to stop that man from receiving it.
@worldwise1 (14887)
It was foolish of him to accept anything from the casino, martinha. Of course, I think they have the law on their side anyway. They also said the slots are posted with a notice that each one has a $2,500 limit for payout.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I would not have taken anything. I do believe they are under different rules, but would have really had someone check into it. It looks like that if the slot pays $2500, that is what he would have gotten anyway. It is a far cry from 1 million, but $375 would have been just a slap in the face.