If You Were President

I was thinking about this earlier today. If you were president of the United States, what would you do? I think my first action would be to try and legalize gay marriage. I mean, in today's world, homosexuals are considered second class citizens for the way they were born. Many studies in other countries who legalized gaymarriages, have concluded that homosexual marriages did nothing to cause society to crumble or anything like that. They are able to go about their lives without a second glance, which makes them normal. That is the whole point, they are all normal people just like anybody else. The Constitution states that all men are created equal, with equal opportunities. This applies to every American citizen, not just a group of them. I'll post more responses as I think of them.
@suspenseful (40326)
I would not make homosexual marriage legal. People are not born homosexuals. If they were, they would be different down below. So it is all in their heads and what went on in their lives AFTER they are born. Besides it has not been that long since homosexual marriage has been around. It takes time for the results to cumulate. After the men of Sodom and Gomorrah did not all become homosexuals in one generation. And would not the act make it harder for two girls or two men to live together in a platonic relationship since there would be the assumption of them being lesbians or homosexuals. Grown men or women will be staying home with their parents until they get married or if they are single and cannot afford to live in an apartment by themselves, forever.
I know what you mean about some places giving two males or two females a hard time living together. Where I live, some places won't allow two people of the same gender to move in together, even if they are brothers! Or even father and son, and that is just messed up. The rest of the post, I have no idea what you are talking about. It's really confusing.
@SEOGUY (906)
Only problem, The presedent can not change laws or create laws. Thats what congress does. Secondly this is a states issue as states deside what is marage in there state. And thirdly why would any one want the federal government to create new laws period. If gay marage is to be decided it will be on the states level.
New laws are created all the time by the president from what I understand. There have been many new Bills added into the Constitution throughout the years. I forgot all about the Congress voting on these types of things though lol. Thanks for reminding me about that. I don't think any states marry homosexuals these days. I think they were banned to do that after the events that took place in Massechussettes. I could be wrong though so I should research that a bit.
@SEOGUY (906)
Gays can be married in Vermont I beleive, The presedent can do certain things by Executive order, but not change laws beleive me. He can make orders only to Inforce laws already on the books, as when Johnsom ordered federal troops to little rock to inforce the Intergration and desegrigation. He can also order things to national defence. The executive branch (presedency) only has the power to inforce law, the Legistative branch i.e the congress writes laws and the senate ratifies the law, The judicial i.e the supream court interpets the law and makes judgments on the law but can not inforce. This is wht is called seperation of powers, no one branch can have the ability to govern, People give too much credit to the president, He alone does not govern, but all three act as balance and counter balance. If the president was to try and make a law, Congress would chalange the law with the judicial (supream court) and it would be over turned becouse it is not constitutional. further more the constatution states that anything not covered by the constitutuion is left to the states to decide. Theirfore any law not covered under the constitution is states rirghts. Most states leave it to thier populations to decide new laws of states. Thanks. Good post/
Thanks for explaining that to me about the branches of government. I had taken Government my Senior year of High School, but we didn't cover it in detail. As you can tell, I didn't learn much in that class lol. The TAAS test (every person in Texas had to take this test at the time in order to graduate,) was high priority. All we did was study for that one test, so academics wasn't as good as it could've been or should've been. These days, they have the TAKS test, which is just as bad, if not worse. Anyways, the only problem with certain states allowing gay marriage while others don't, is the fact that people can be legally married in that one state and when they go back home, the marriage doesn't mean anything. So, the couple would probably end up moving to the state they were married in just to get the legal benefits given to them through their union.
@williamjisir (22909)
Anyway I support your idea for homosexual marriage to be legal in the States. But it seems to be legal in some of the states, right? I am not so sure about it. I just guess so. I think that you are right to consider it as normal as heterosexual marriage as everyone is born to be human.
I think homosexual marriage WAS legal in Massachussettes (sp?) for a little while, but I believe it was banned or something? I don't remember because it's been a while since I've seen anything on the news about it. I'll do some research on the subject and see what's going on with it.
Thanks in advance for your checking on the Internet for the information to get it confirmed.
I definitely agree with you about legalizing gay marriage. I don't see what the big deal is. If two people are in love with eachother, they should be able to do what they want, and they should have the same rights as anyone else. It is discrimination that gays are not allowed to marry, as straight people are.
Thanks for the response. I was gonna reply to my discussion, but decided to wait until I got some responses first. The second thing I would do is go over the current state of things in the country. I would go over the federal spending budget and see which items can either be taken off the list altogether, or decrease the spending in the items. I saw on the news how in one state, they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a county fair! That is really wasteful spending. The local government should be the one that donates some of the money for that event, not the federal government. The people of the town can also help raise the money in one way or another.