Do your cat(s) chew on cords?

Cute kittie dressed up - No, this isn't my cat, just thought the pic was cute!
@jovimom (1576)
I couldn't figure out why my computer speakers wouldn't work. I started looking and the cord was almost chewed in two!! I put black electrical tape around it and now they work. This isn't the first time my cat(I have 2) has chewed on cords. I know which cat it is too. I love him to death but it makes me nervous he could start a fire someday. He has also chewed my phone cord and I had to tape it too! What do you do? We've tried the spray but it doesn't seem to work. I've recently tried putting what cords I can on a thumb tack higher on the wall and it helps, but I can't do it w/all my cords...
@arkaf61 (10882)
UP to a few weeks ago I never noticed that my cats chewed on cords. Actually ,they didn't. But a few weeks ago, fluffy my oldest cat, did chew a cord. Not only we were worried about a fire, but we were really upset because I had just bought a cell for my daughter and she was charging it for the first time . That was the cord fluffy chewed. I wonder if she did it because it was something new in the house? THe fact is that after that she didn't chew on any more cords, so I'm still puzzled. But we had to spend money to buy another charger for my daughter grrr :) As for what we did, I confess I didn't do anything. I already have most cords out of the way, and even the few ones that are on sight, she never chewed on them, so I'm not sure of what happened.
@jovimom (1576)
Could have just been the new smell. My cat has definitely torn my speakers up, I will have to eventually get new ones....
@arkaf61 (10882)
Yes I think you're right, it was because it was new. But the strange thing is that this was the first time she did that, and we have our cell phones charging all the time. But yes, the new smell might have done it:) Sorry to hear about your speakers... it would be nice if you could discount the money you'll have to spend from her allowance LOL THat's what my daughter told fluffy when she found out heheheh
@jovimom (1576)
Wouldn't it though? That is hilarious!
@uath13 (8207)
My sister had a rabbit that used to do that. Notice the word USED. He finally got himself cooked doing it. You could try getting some of the wireing liners & putting them over the exposed lines. That will make them thicker & harder to chew & give him more layers to chew through before he hits the metal.
@jovimom (1576)
That sucks about the rabbit! That's another thing I'm worried about w/my cat. I don't know, like she said below, with my cats they chew on plastic too!!
@uath13 (8207)
Perhaps instead of Sacrificialclam your screen name should have been Seuicidalcat. JKD the metal coil wrap sounds good. They also make a automotive wire harness thats metal that would work well , though a little more expensive.
@uath13 (8207)
Actually there's just a burnt hare smell...
Hi there...for deterring inappropriate cat behaviour around electrical wires consider using a cable wire loom to bundle up the the wires. The loom is very inexpensive and not only does it prevent the cat from tangling in the wires, but also tidies the area up as well. Cable Organizer Wire Loom: http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/ For the wires that are difficult to bundle consider using either apple cider vinegar or a pet-friendly deterrent spray-on product called Grannick's Bitter AppleĀ® http://www.grannicks.com usually found at most pet stores. It is a citrusy scent that once a cat tastes will generally avoid those areas which have that particular odour. Rather than directly spray these onto the wires and plugs, first unplug the surge suppressor then mist the solution on your hand to coat the wires manually. Source: Animal Trainer to domestic and exotic cats 27 year friendship with a veterinarian as well :-)
@jovimom (1576)
Well, thank-you very much for all this information. I have tried something close to bitter apple before and it didn't work, maybe because it was a generic form....My husband is an electrician, so I will let him know about the cable wire loom. Thanks again for being so informative and helpful! :)
Hi there again...my pleasure. I train many cats and some methods are quite effective and then there are the cats who are superior to those tried and true methods. Other odours that cats find offensive:coffee grounds, citronella as well as any other citrusy scents, cayeene pper, lavender oil, lemon grass oil, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, mustard oil and sometimes capsaicin pepper.
@angemac23 (2005)
My cats chew on cords too among many other things!
@jovimom (1576)
Yes, toilet paper, plastic bags, or any type of plastic left out....my cats are awful! If I don't put my bread in the bread box, they'll be on the counter chewing on the bread bag. LITTLE BRATS!!
@arkaf61 (10882)
OH yeah the plastic bags. Can't leave any out either because they're really go for it :)
I'm raising three orphaned kittens right now that are about 7 weeks old and they chew on EVERYTHING. LOL They have been in to their share of cords around my house as well but nothing has been chewed through yet. I hope that doesn't happen either. LOL
@jovimom (1576)
Awwww, that is so sweet! I'll bet they are just as cute as can be! That's a good thing they haven't managed to chew thru any yet, hopefully they never will!
This is an easy fix... go to your local pet store (i know PetSmart carries it) and get a bottle of bitter apple spray. Spray the cords and anything else the cats chew, but shouldn't. It is natural and does not harm them, but they hate the taste.
@jovimom (1576)
Yes, I bought a generic version before and it didn't work. So, maybe I just need to buy the real thing, it can't be that expensive. Plus he's already chewed my speaker cords to bits, so I need to do something. Who knows what else he has destroyed that I just don't know about yet,lol!
@anewlevel (174)
My cat chewed on an electrical cord once when she was a kitten. She got zapped a bit and she never chewed an electrical cord again after that. Now I have to make sure that our stereo antenna wire is out of her reach, because I found that she had chewed that up. Other than that, she leaves all my computer-related cords alone. Thank goodness for that because there are a lot of them, and they are out in the open.
@jovimom (1576)
I kinda wish my cat would, just so maybe he would quit. Yes, I had to hide our stereo wire in my end table drawer so he can't chew on it anymore!
@rimsha (806)
• Pakistan
Sorry I haven't cat.