traveling with baby

By Amy
Abernathy, Texas
Please no baby bashing here. I'm hoping the tips aren't going to be to leave baby home. I'm going to be flying out to see my husband's family for Thanksgiving so they can all meet the baby at once. They paid for the whole trip for us which was nice. And soon will be visiting my mom, she has cancer and I think its important for her to meet the baby. We will be moving to another state soon as well. Any tips for flying with a baby?
Hey Art, I dont see why you wouldnt want to take your son, and is it really odd to take your baby on a plane with you? Ive never heard that before. Hmmm Well, my friend was flying to Germany to be with her husband and her and their daughter got seperated on the plane. They didnt have seats next to eachother. I was shocked!!!! There is no way in hell I would allow my child to be seated elsewhere on the plane. Especially not a flight that would take 13 hours and have a plane switch in there somewhere. She said she tried to talk with the people sitting next to her and her daughter to switch and they wouldnt!! Could you imagine? The flight attendents said there was nothing they could do. I think I would have gotten off the plane!! I guess I should mention, the child was 3, not an infant or anything, but still, too young to be sitting elsewhere on the plane. So dont let this happen!! ;) Have a great trip! I hope your visit will make your mum feel better. Im sure she is looking forward to seeing her granbaby!! Bay xx
• Abernathy, Texas
I won't let that happen - he sits with us. I've read so many forums that are basically complaints against babies flying. They say leave them home! And there was a baby behind me on the plane and the guy beside me was so rude about them. He obviously hated kids. The wierd thing is he was so nice to me and I was pregnant at the time. I kept rubbing my belly when he stage whispered something about the baby and chld behind us.
• Abernathy, Texas
His mom paid for Thanksgiving - for us to visit, we're hoping to be able to buy tickets for me and the baby to go to Ohio before the years out. Its important.
Hmm, well I dont see why you wouldnt take him with you. I mean if the airline accomodates for a baby, then why not? LOL That guy sure didnt get the hint did he? I mean I could probably see his frustration, but complaining about it is not going to make it stop or go away. So why say something in a situation like that? Your up in the air for crying out loud, what was the lady going to do, get up and get off the plane? LOL Bay xx
@foxygirle (377)
Travelling with babies is one of the most unforgetable experinced i had and if will be given a choice I would not do it again. But since its a free trip and you need to see your husband's family and your mom, then you need to plan ahead since its really hard to expect anything from babies. Our going to hongkong trip was no problem, my baby just slept all the way and way even happy to be riding the plane for the first time. Our trouble was the return trip, she was grouchy already in the airport and was crying during take off and wont stop when the plane reach the flying altitude. We were very embarass by the look we got from the other passengers but what can we do, our baby just kept on crying. SOme would advise to give low dosage of cold medicine so that your baby can sleep during the flight duration, ask your pediatrician about it. Babies do get stress seeing lots of people on board and unfamiliar turf can cause anxiety so better bring her favorite toys or blankies. Goodluck.
• Abernathy, Texas
We're hoping when we travel across the world to TaiPei to visit relatives that aren't immediate family that he will be older. Wow, I will ask the doctor about that. They gave him tylenol after his circumcision and after one set of his vaccinations and he slept and slept!
@wdiong (1818)
Here's some tips: Take your own baby food, bowl and utensils for an infant. Some airlines do have tins of baby food on board - but most likely not what your baby likes best! Disposable bibs are a great idea for infant mealtimes on board an airplane. Disposable bottle liners that are pre-sterilised in a roll are excellent for long plane journeys. Carry a bottle of pre-boiled water with you too, then make up the bottle in the pre-sterilised bag and ask the attendant to warm it by standing briefly in a bowl of hot water. Ask for bottles and meals to be warmed well in advance of when you need them. Cabin crew don't have a microwave and have to heat using hot water in the galley. This takes time. For more tips, check out www.flyingwithkids.com :)
• Abernathy, Texas
Actually mommy is his favourite - but he'll get formula and other snacks for the airline I hope the attendent will do that - that's how we warm them upp at home. Thanks for the address!
Well ma'am travellin with your child will be fine as long as the baby is healthy... and i believe your child is of full health... the best opinion would be to refer to a family doctor... they would give best advice you can get...
Make sure you are seated together. That is first and foremost. Bring along some of baby's favorite things and few surprises that baby has never seen before in case baby needs a good distraction. A few favorite snacks and some juice or milk or whatever baby drinks. Baby's ears will be sore as you ascend and descend in altitude so be prepared for some fussiness. Give sips of juice water or milk during those times. Some baby's just sleep as the motion of the plane lulls them to sleep, others are alert and want to see everything! Also, be prepared...plane bathrooms are very very small and should you have to change baby you will have to sit on the closed commode and lay baby on your lap so have a pad or blanket you can spread on your lap. Not an easy task especially if you are tall! Hopefully your flight will be short and you won't have any major difficulties. We just did a 5 and 1/2 hour flight with our 5 year old and she did great but then, she is older. A lady on the plane had a 4 month old and they just kept him really busy and it worked out fine.
Have a bottle ready for take off please!!! I learned this the hard way going to New York with my son. He was a day shy of being a month old when we took the trip. We started taxi-ing down the runway, and my son got to looking around as if to say "this car is going awful fast." We began to leave the ground and my son yelled out with a shout! "Oh Lord we done left the ground! Tell this man to slow down!!!" Actually he was crying because his ears were given a lot of pressure due to the altitude. I gave him a bottle, and the sucking action allowed his ears to pop and him to become settled. Even though I know its because some of the people on planes aren't parents, and don't understand babies moods, people on the plane will get angry if there is excessive crying on the plane. So you're best bet is to keep plenty of small toys on hand, make sure the baby is dry and comfortable, and for God's sake, have that bottle ready for take off!!!
• Abernathy, Texas
So funny - giving words to his crying! I'm so hoping he'll drink from the bottle - he doesn't always take it - he knows I'm the good stuff! I don't blame him - bottled forumula is yucky while nursing milk is sweet like a dessert. I've seen other discussions on the web of angry travelers who say leave your baby at home! My mom has a right to see the baby - she's 73 and has cancer and can't travel. And my husband's family has a right to meet him too. We will nurse him if necesary. Its legal, but I'm self conscious - plus he pulls on and off - but I got a special thin nursing shawl - and my husband id 6'4 - just huge so if we go on first and get a window seat we should be set. And we can set him in a third seat if its empty - we're bring his car seat on the plane. Thanks for the advice!
@wavelander (1530)
• Portugal
The only tip i can give you is... don't let the baby take over the plane! HE CAN'T FLY A PLANE! LOL Use his personal things, don't use the plane objects!