No arms or no legs?

@James72 (26829)
Australia
What do you think would make life more difficult overall? Not being able to walk or not being able to touch, feel and handle things with your fingers/hands? Many people I assume would immediately say they would prefer to have no legs; but think about it. There are unbelievably talented artists, writers etc out there that very effectively live their lives with no hands.... Driving cars, raising children.... The human ability to compensate is amazing!Take into account as well the advances in technology for prostheses..... Which situation would you rather be in if there had to be one or the other??
@SViswan (12071)
Tough one! I don't want to choose ! I move about a lot and use my hands a lot (yes..even when I am talking)! I'd hate it if I couldn't walk and not be able to move around with my kids. And no arms? I can't do all the stuff I do without arms!I've given it some thought...maybe I'd rather have no legs than no arms.
@James72 (26829)
Yes it is a tough one as there are pros and cons for each! Funnily enough I am sure that you would adapt pretty quickly to do all the things with your feet that you did with your arms if the situation arose! Human adaptability is pretty astounding when you think about it. Not being able to run around with your children would definitely be tough; at the other end of the spectrum though, the thought of not being able to use your hands to hold your kids is quite depressing as well. Thanks for responding.
@SViswan (12071)
I'm sure I will find a way to do things if I didn't have arms or legs. I'm not one to sit and cry over what I don't have. I'd find a way around to do things. I might regret it at first...but I'll soon be able to move along I guess.
@academic2 (7009)
• Uganda
No one desires any form of disbility, and I feel your question is as twisted as the first response has desired it-i say this because by defintion disability is a defect that departs from the normal and affects the functioning of the defectiv body parts- if i had my way, I would wish that every person stays clear of disability, but I also know that we are all potentially diabled people!
@James72 (26829)
To be honest; when you post a topic such as this (and for the record my intention was certainly not to be "twisted"!) you don't expect there to be an involvement at such a level as this. I am very appreciative that it has resulted in this outcome actually as it takes the topic to a very real level that we can all benefit from. Thank you for your response.
@raijin (10373)
I'd go for no arms, atleast I can accept the fact that I can make good use of my feet for travelling and also improve my skills in writing using my feet. That's true, there are lots of disabled people who made good in improving the resources they have. Some even excelled to sports and arts, some proved to others that they are more capable of accomplishing things over those NORMAL people with complete limbs..
@James72 (26829)
I had assumed that many people would prefer to have their hands rather than their legs/feet! And I agree 100% that some of these people achieve excellence over and above an able bodied person; some of the paintings I have seen foot artists do for example are amazing and I would never be able to come even close to the same level of skill! Thanks for responding.