visiting college

Well, here I am. It's 6:34 in the evening and I'm 3 hours from home sitting of all places in an empty college dorm room. It's been a long time since I've spent a quiet evening alone in an empty room with nothing on the walls, just two beds, two dressers, two desks and a small refrigerator sitting on the counter. I can hear the girls in the hallway...running up and down the stairs, calling to each other as they head to one place or another on campus. I'm here because Lauren wants to go to school here next fall. We have traveled to Walnut Ridge Arkansas to Williams Baptist College so that she can participate in an Honors Day tomorrow. It is a special preview day for High school seniors with at least a 3.5 GPA...which she has. She will gain an honor's scholarship, that is renewable for all 8 semesters of school for being a part of the day tomorrow. We decided to drive up a day early...so we wouldn't have to leave at 5 in the morning to get here on time! We received tickets for dinner in the cafeteria....Lauren met a young woman who is a sophomore here...and within minutes, I'd been abandoned. But instead of being sad, I have a peace in my heart, that I've not had at any of the other campuses we've visited. This is where God wants Lauren. I felt it the minute we drove on campus. So fly away little one. Spread your wings and soar like an eagle...and I'll know that God will watch over you just as He does each and every sparrow in flight!
@terri0824 (4991)
I read your devotion to this before I read this discussion. And as I was reading it I was wondering if your devotions were life experiences or copied from a devotional. The more I read it, it sounded like your experience. Glad I read this discussion to get confirmation that it is life experience!
Each of the devotions that are posted here are mine. Although, I haven't written much in the last few weeks. God has really been dealing with me about this, but I needed a break, which He understood. However, break time is over and I know it, but can't seem to get motivated. I am glad that you are enjoying them. If you will PM me and send me your e-mail, I would be glad to add you to the list that I send the devotions and prayer requests out to each day.
@riyasam (16571)
well,all the best from for your little one as she embarks on her new journey.and i do envy the solitude you are getting now,which i really crave ,which is a rarity as one starts a family.
Oh I remember the days of no solitude! There are times now when I'd give just about anything to be able to just wrap my arms around my little ones and hold them close without them rolling their eyes and asking me if I was ok. I am in what I think is the beginning of "the change" and so I bawl all the time now. Not a pretty sight.
@mi2ok02 (406)
I have just had to let my 18 year old go the day after her birthday. That was last Saturday 11-10-07. I know how much your heart must ache even after knowing she is where God has led her to be. My oldest decided to return to her birth state, Michigan (we are in Oklahoma) and be with her father for a while. She has had some trouble already trying to make herself ready for adulthood. Maybe her dad can help. Anyway, I still have 3 more in the house but still, it is hard for me to realize that she is gone and won't be at the dinner table or be here for the upcoming holidays. I will call and talk to her often but there is still an empty feeling that I'll just have to adjust to.
I just went through that with my oldest as well. He moved out and moved in with my brother. It was hard to let go, even knowing that he was across town and I could see him if I wanted. I can't imagine him being 4 or 5 states away. I know how I felt at 19 being separated from my mother after Mike and I married and we moved to Florida.
@villageanne (8554)
I belive that we all need to find time to be alone with no noise, no phones, no radio or anything expept our thoughts. I believe that it is at this time that the Lord will reveal the things that he wants us to know. That is why Jesus always went out alone. To teach us that we need to be alone with silence to really feel and listen to the soft quiet promptings of the Spirit.
One of my favorite Steven Curtis Chapman songs is one called "Be still and Know" and comes straight from the bible. Be still and know that I am God. It says be still and know that I am God, Be still and know that I am holy. We just tend to forget those things sometimes because we are all so busy all the time. I love to be able to go in the spring time and just sit on a park bench and watch all that god has created. The babies that have just been born, the flowers that are just beginning to bud...it's awesome.