letting go - a blessing in disguise

last may 5,1992 my father was rushed to the hospital due to heartattach and he was comatose for a couple of days. my uncle, who happens to be our family doctor as well, told my mother that even if my father survived he will still be in a vegetable state. that time my mother made the hardest decision of her entire life, letting go of my father. she then agreed to took out the dextrose which is last thing that made my father breath. we love him so much and we do believe in miracles but sometimes we have to face the reality. living in a vegetable state will only make him suffer more and one of us will have to stop studying to take care of him since our mom has to work. some may say its euthenasia in one way but we have to let him go. as the years passed by, my mom keep thinking of "what if's". but at the end of it, she just look at it as a blessing in disguise. i guess i have to agree with her.
@dianne17k (600)
Yes, I know it's one tough decision to make. Euthanasia still remains to be a debatable topic across the globe. But I think it's acceptable given the circumstances. To live in a vegetable state isn't called living at all so why bother to continue living, right? In your case, I think your mother made the right call since only a miracle could have reversed the effects of the coma and we all know miracles don't always happen.
right, i guess tough decision makes a woman tough.
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
I agree as sad as it is. You all are better off that she did let him go. Just like my grandmother. I hated that she was put in humana and I think she might have lived longer if she hadn't been. At the same time it was hard watching her suffer.
it is really hard to see someone you loved so much to suffer a lot. its quite hard to let it go though.
@Mirita (2668)
I agree with your family in the difficult decision that all of you had to do. Living in a vegetable state makes no sense and is best to stop the suffering and let him go with God. I'm sure that he agrees with the decision made by all of you and he is looking after all of you.
yes i know that he's happy wherever he is right now and do hope he is happy of what we have achieve.