Onions

@nannacroc (4049)
How do you pronounce the word onions? Strange question I now but I just wondered if anyone actually pronounces the os as os. I pronounce it as uniuns Londoners use sound nearer to an a, does anyone pronounce the os as os?
@dorypanda (1586)
Well, I pronounce it unyuns, but you knew that anyway. :P People who are pretending they're posh pronounce the os as os, but it does sound daft. :)
@gabs8513 (48803)
Hi there Nannacroc. I just pronounce it as it is spelt lol you just had me sitting here saying it to make sure lol
@lilaclady (28270)
yes a strange question but I guess there is a lot of different ways people say it, I say unyans, funny how different countries have their own way of saying things.
@owlwings (37683)
• Cambridge, England
Well, I should say that you know your unyuns, Nannacroc! The editor of the The Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology (1966), C.T.Onions, however, pronounced his NAME as if it were an Irish name (which it may have been) ... O'Nions to rhyme with O'Ryans. I don't think I have ever heard anyone pronounce 'onions' as 'on-yons' (but I have heard something approaching 'own-yuns', I believe). There are people about (especially in Cambridge) who have a very 'individual' idea about speaking the English language! Did you know, by the way, that to eat a raw onion is a very good cure for a head cold. Another remedy is to stick an onion with cloves, boil it in milk then eat the onion and drink the (hot) milk. Neither really appeal to me! Onions (and garlic) contain excellent anti-bacterial agents, so both are very healthy to eat. An onion also contains as much sugar as an apple and nearly as much vitamin C.
@nannacroc (4049)
Thank you for al this information. Well as the posh version is Oxford English the people of Cambridge have to compete somehow don't they? I don't fancy the onion milk but I do put onions in gravy whenever I can. Have a gret new year.
@nannacroc (4049)
Sorry about the spelling mistakes I didn't read the comment before I posted it.
@atchmon (140)
Well, it depends on the culture of the speaker... :)
@pumpkinjam (5557)
I've never heard anyone pronounce the"o"'s as "o"s, I say un-ee-n or un-yn. I don'tknow any other way apart from accents where they prounce u as a.