Have you ICE'd your cellphone yet?

@dmillman (2273)
I got an e-mail a while ago about ICE (In Case of Emergency) and I just wanted to make sure that all of my myLot buddies knew about it to, and helped to spread the word. You put a new contact in your phone with the name ICE. I put a space in front of mine so it would be the first "name" on my contact list. Supposedly, emergency services always check a person's cell phone for contact information, and that if you put ICE on your contact list, it will be easier for them to determine who to call. At first when I read this, I thought it was smart, but my husband is listed in there, with the rest of my family. Then I realized that I have him listed under his first name, and my parents are listed as Mom and Dad, so that if an emergency responder found my phone, they'd probably call Mom or Dad instead of trying to identify who is who on my contact list. I realized a few weeks ago that not everyone knows this, as I accidentally left my purse at a store, with my cell phone in it, and instead of calling ICE, they called Mom. So, I thought I'd try to do my part in helping to spread the word about this great idea. You never know, it could save your life or the life of someone you know!
@jaredlp (418)
actually should still keep something in wallet or purse, be amazed how often in a emergency a cell phone isnt an option, either due to damage, battery, or missing. also i dont see how ice is that much better then the blaring MOM that i have in my phone.
@dmillman (2273)
Oh yes, I agree completely. It's just something extra to have in addition to. This way it's just easier to know who you want to be called in an emergency. What if you and your mother are estranged and you just have her number in there for other reasons? What if you don't want her making medical decisions for you? That's what the purpose behind ICE is, that's all. I was just mentioning it here to try to help spread the word, that's all.
@cupoftea (715)
I have done that. If it helps or not I do'nt know, but it only takes a second to do it. Can't hurt.
@jaredlp (418)
yeah true only takes a sec. as far as makeing the medical decessions go im not sure how much ICE can help, may help get person that can to the hospital faster but without the proper legal work to show why you can then really out of luck. as a caregiver i know i always have to take the guys books with me that has all the consent forms signed so i can autherize any treatment at all.
I haven't yet ICE'd my phone, but I should, and my mom keeps reminding me to do it! Her digits are in there, so if anyone looked, they would see MOM!! I think this would give them a clue...
Paramedics or firemen many not have the time to check your cell phone. It's a good idea in theory, but if you're seriously injured in a car crash, emergency workers and not going to take time to find your phone, look up your ICE information and then call, all the while you're on the side of the road with a serious injury.
@dmillman (2273)
Well, it's a great idea that I know works. The more information that they have about you, the better - especially if it's important. What the heck would it hurt you to add the information? It could be all the difference!