This question is from my mother. She has a cat smokey

he is so frisky and all over the place. I think this cat is full of happiness. My mother is wondering why smokey does not meow. I think it's not a issue for smokey has all he could want or need. He has a lot of toys,food snacks,treats,and plenty of people who love him. He has his comfy bed made from my sisters sweater placed on a cat bed. And boy does he ever love to sit on my mom's arm and look at the passing people out the window. Please answer this for her. I told her I was not going to ask this silly question. :)
I heard somewhere that in the wild cats don't meow. They only meow when they are around humans a lot. If you got the cat when he was older maybe he doesn't fell much of a need to communicate, but most kittens will quickly learn how to get your attention by meowing. I'm not completely sure about this but it is what I have heard.
No this cat is still a kitten. That is if 3 months is still kitten in the cats years. he is content with everything. Thanks so much
It's true, it's not realy unusual. I have 2 kitties, and one is a HUGE talker, and the other is silent lol...cats actually only meow and make other sounds to communicate with humans, not eachother...so if your kitty doesn't "talk" he's probably just content and happy with everything you're doing for him :o) They all have different personalities, and I used to think my talkative cat was cute, now it just gets kind of annoying at 4am when he's yapping away! Maybe she's lucky! LOL!
@wiccania (3362)
I have 2 cats, that are 15 and 13 years old this year. The younger, Poe, didn't start meowing until he was 5 or 6 years old. It was so funny for the first 2 years because it was kind of croaky sounding. Like he had a frog in his throat. I used to tell him he had a broken meow. He just never felt like meowing before that. The vet said there was nothing wrong with it.
I have to agree with you. It's been my experience that they mainly meow when they are wanting something. From your description, he doesn't want for anything. I like to think that animals are alot like humans. We don't say anything unless we need something. Your mom seems to be doing a great job of giving him lots of love and attention. :o)
@Calais (10905)
All cats are different, they have different personalities, some are not as vocal as others, Im sure that he is fine and nothing is wrong, its probably just 'him'...Its not that unusual, dont worry...
Tell your mother not to worry, cats have many ways of communicating with us and Meowing is probably a last resort when they have tried everyting else and it has failed! If Smokey is not Meowing then he is probably very content! My cat only Meows when she is feeling that I need to pay more attention to her. Reasons for her meowing are usually that I am being a bit slow in opening and delivering her food; that I haven't noticed she has used her litter tray and she would like to use it again but only when I have removed previous offensive material; or that it was a while since she last saw me and I have yet to cuddle and stroke her and tell her how beautiful she is! Normal communication between me and my cat is by body language rather than vocally - at least on her part! When I walk in the door in the evening, she winds in and out of my legs (depositing her scent) with her tail held high (happy) - that tells me "Hello, happy to see you back again!" When she pounces on her dinner and clears her plate - and purrs - this tells me she approves. When she eats a few mouthfuls, walks away, walks back, looks at me in disgust, walks away again - OK, she hates it! When she looks at me and her whiskers make a smiley shape - she's ok. When she looks at me and her whiskers are droopy - she is bored and/or sad. Nicest of all, when I pass her and her eyes meet mine, and she gives me a long, slow, blink - the cat equivalent of a kiss - I know she loves me! And when I return the same, she purrs in recognition. Cats are so much more than a Meow, and I don't think your Mum needs to wory!