Let's Talk Mac 'n' Cheese!

@anniepa (27114)
How do you make yours or how do you like it? Cheddar cheese or American? Sharp or mild? Velveeta, anyone? Or do you just cheat and use the boxed varieties? I have a super-secret family recipe; well, it's not really a secret but my family thinks it's super! How do you prepare/prefer yours? Annie
@kareng (7986)
When I make it, I love it from scratch. I usually use a cheddar cheese, either medium or sharp. Sometimes I will use Velveeta melted down. Yum...now you have me hungry!! Btw, what is your family recipe? Inquiring minds want to know!
@anniepa (27114)
It's really quite simple. Of course, I boil my macaroni - I usually use elbow, but any shape will do. While it's boiling, put a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of milk (I don't use quite a whole can of milk because I like to nice and thick) in a sauce pan; you can double this if you're making an extra big dish. Heat it to almost boiling and as it's heating either cut small pieces at a time of the extra sharp cheddar cheese or use the package that's already grated. We like the New York State cheese. Stir frequently as it heats until the cheese melts. Mix the cooked macaroni with the cheese mixture and put some more cheese on top, if desired then bake at 370-400 degrees about 30-45 minutes until it's golden brown and cheese on top is melted. Delish! Annie
@kareng (7986)
Thanks, Annie!
@pyewacket (43962)
Well if I'm feeling a bit lazy I'll grab for the mac'n'cheese from a box, but I'd much rather make my own homemade. First of course I cook up the macaroni, then I make a white sauce and add A LOT of cheese and I prefer the extra sharp kind..then mix into the macaroni...if I was to be real fussy, I put it in a casserole dish, sprinkle breadcrumbs over it and place bits of margarine on top and then bake it...oh, nuts..now I'm hungry! Wouldn't mind some right now!
@pyewacket (43962)
Oh--don't use Velvetta, just get a brick of the Extra Sharp Cheese and grate it myself
@webeishere (36377)
I haven't had any home made mac cheese since my mom passed away. She made hers with Velveeta. I do not know the process though. But I eat the Kraft boxed type with the shell pasta only. I hate the elbow type boxed variety. HAHAHAHA! Fussy me huh? HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@anniepa (27114)
Nothing wrong with being a bit fussy, Grandpa Bob! I like the Kraft myself but I do love homemade, especially with a holiday meal. It's one of our staples for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinners. My daughter and I fight over whose is best and of course nobody wants to tell us the truth or they know they're in trouble from one of us...lol! Annie
@neenasatine (2842)
i making mac n cheese.. i usually prefer cheddar cheese and processed cheese such as Eden and Cheez Whiz... Eden and Cheez Whiz are brand name of cheeses
well if i am just mkaing it like for dinner one night i use the regular boxed kinf usually kraft.. But for thanksgiving or well my thanksgiving since i am not cooking till tomarow night i am making baked macaroni.ganna attempt to make it like my grandmas, boil the noodles of course, then mix 1 egg with the noodles, spices like garlic and soulfood seasonning or whatever u preffer then spread shreddded cheese everywere thick.. let back for like 10 minutes put alittle butter and milk mix up and put more cheese...and vake 10 more minutes, then take out more cheese and then 5 minutes and then its done:) i am ganna sprinkle parmesean cheese over top of mine yuum:)
@moneyandgc (3438)
My grandma makes really good homemade mac and cheese but I have never tried to make it myself. I really like the regular elbow Kraft variety. My favorite way to eat it is to cook up some ground beef and mix it in.
@suspenseful (40326)
When I was young, we had a macaroni and cheese recipe. Had to grate our own cheese, had to add so much milk, onions, butter, stir it and we had bread crumbs on top. Now we use the boxed variety, pref. Krafts but now we are using the Superstore variety that tastes quite good, but I add hot dogs, ham, or sausages to it, and sometimes to give it a bit of more flavor I will add a touch of cayenne pepper. I like old cheddar cheese, but it is expensive, and using quite a bit to make mac and cheese instead of having a slice or two on a sandwich, well I have to use quite a bit.
When I was little,my mom used to make it from scratch until my dad and I tried Kraft Dinner.We both prefered it to hers and instead of being insulted,she was happy. I guess it was time consuming to make it.The bad part of this story is that her recipe is now lost.I remember that it was made with cheddar but that is all I can remember.My favorite now is Kraft deluxe with Sharp cheddar cheese.It is made with elbow pasta and a sharp cheddar cheese sauce.It is easy to make, or I wouldn't be able to make it.
@dreamy1 (3818)
I use the shredded cheese in the package but mostly it's cheddar. I use ziti sometimes or elbow macaroni. In a pot I melt some butter and add flour almost like making a roux then add salt, pepper, milk and then cheese. I put some cooked macaroni in a dish then pour some sauce over it then add more maccaroni and cheese sauce until the dish is filled then I'll pour milk over it to fill in the gaps and sprinkle cheese on the top and bake. That's how my mother makes hers so I make mine like that too.
@Rozie37 (15505)
• Turkmenistan
I cheat and use the box. I mix the white cheddar with the yellow and add extra slices. But, I love my sisters mac and cheese. I had two servings today. She uses seven cheeses, it was wonderful.