How do you prevent plastic cups from melting in the microwave?

United States
November 26, 2007 7:20pm CST
Last week, my spouse bought a dozen plastic cups. They are the disposible picnic type cups that you get from SOLO. And, ever since he's been using them in the microwave to make his tea. But, the bad part is that they melt. And, so you end up with an oddly shaped cup. Does anyone know how to keep these types of picnic cups from melting in the microwave? What setting would I use on the microwave to prevent them from melting? I've tried the beverage setting and they still melt. Would love some suggestions on how to handle this situation.
1 person likes this
5 responses
@brimia (6584)
• United States
27 Nov 07
Plastic should never be used to heat up food and beverages in the microwave. Carcinogenic chemicals can leech into the food. Better to stick with ceramic or glass containers.
• United States
27 Nov 07
Yes I agree with brimia. The melting is the final result of an actively melting process that sets in before you see it and when he drinks the tea, the styrofoam has been compromised with radioacive particles that make the element absorbed into the tea from the cup, lethal . . . now of course it takes many cups to do damage but why take the risk? Better use ceramic or glass. sharing the light, Miss Erica Hidvegi, the Enlightenment Advisor, B.A. Psych/M.A. Transpersonal Studies- Cnslng/Author, Artist, Photographer, Entrepreneur & Freelance extraordinaire
@3lilangels (4639)
• United States
27 Nov 07
well from what i know plastic should not go into any microwave, not only will it melt but it is very dangereous as well.
@miryam (6510)
• Italy
27 Nov 07
sorry i not have a microware, i'm a few contrary to it i've a normal wave...... bye myry
@youless (90513)
• Guangzhou, China
27 Nov 07
I suggest you not to use the plastic cups in the microwave oven. I always buy something that allows to be used in the microwave oven. Not every product can be used in the microwave oven because they not only melt, but also create the poision.
• United States
27 Nov 07
I agree with the other respondents. There are a few plastics that are microwave safe but they are marked so. Zapping other plastics in the microwave cannot only cause them to melt but can be toxic (create vapor). Please be careful. Actually, its heatlhier and almost as quick to boil a small amount of water on the stove.