National Bone Marrow Donor Registry List

@webeishere (36353)
My wifes date has been set for the bonwe marrow donor process to save her brothers life now. As I talked with the University of Michigan Cancer Center this morning I asked a lot of questions. Now it seems as my wifes name is now on the National registry as a bone marrow donor. So she can be asked in the future to be a donor for someone outside of the family as well. We talked about it and she is willing to maybe go through the process once again if the need ever arises for a stranger. She is not 100% sure but she would seriously think it through. This is a great feeling to us both knwoing she can save others lives as well. Do you know anyone that is on a National Donor list of any typwe at all? HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I don't but I'd love to be added to the list but don't know how to go about doing it and I don't know if they can accept my blood. I know I can't donate blood because of the medications I have to take but what of the registry and all, I don't know.
@webeishere (36353)
http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/index.html Here is the site for the registry. On the bottom left is a link about medical guidelines for joing as a possible donor. I am going to become a donor as well if possible. Thanks for your interest as well. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Thanks for telling me! I'll have to look into it once the holidays are over and things slow down a bit. I consider it an honor to save someone's life with my own! Thanks again!
@webeishere (36353)
You're very welcomed as well. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
Your wife is doing such a great thing. She sounds really sweet. I don't know of anyone that's on the National registry. I know she'll feel so good though for helping her brother and maybe someone else out later on.
@webeishere (36353)
Well now if anyone asks you can say you DO know someone on the list. You sort of know them anyhow. Hee hee. Thanks also very much. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
That's right. I can say I know someone now.
@webeishere (36353)
hahaha!
@Polly1 (12650)
Your wife is a true hero, you are a lucky man and should treasure her. I can tell by the way you do talk about her that she is your everything, that is the way it should be. Its nice to see a couple these days like that, specially when they have been together along time. My hubby and I were like that too. Answer to your question, no I don't know anyone on the list.
@webeishere (36353)
In my eyes she's not a hero, she's an ANGEL. I treasure her for many reasons and this being the newest reason. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@Polly1 (12650)
Yes she truly is an Angel.
@webeishere (36353)
All I have been doing lately is humming that great song by, I think, Charlie Pride, "Kiss An Angel Good Morning". Hee hee. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
She is doing a great thing! My dad had bone marrow cancer in 90. His youngest brother just happened to be a really great match. Thanx to him my dad is still here and doing well. I do know the process is painfull and your wife needs to be strong. Good luck to her and I hope her brother will pull through.
@webeishere (36353)
Grats to your brother. Now days they do it with a needle in both arms for the donor. White blood cells are drawn then returned via the opposite arem. So it's not really painful. They said it's all stem cell work now days. Thanks and am happy about your brothers work in helping out dad. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@webeishere (36353)
I agree fully with you Oneandonemakesix. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
Thanx for the best response Grandpa Bob!!
Do unto others what you want others to do unto you. The family is great in helping her stay strong. Nothing is more valuable than making a difference in someone else's life. May this be physically, mentally, and spritually. The support that you give each other is what makes both of your strong and the rest of the family. God bless you all!
@webeishere (36353)
You said it all friend. Thanks also for the blessing that's oh so needed. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@blackbriar (9080)
That's great she is on the list, Grandpa Bob. As for her to think about it, let her wait till she actually goes thru with the bone marrow transplant b4 she makes her final decision. It may end up being too painful for her to want to go thru it again. I don't know anyone on the National Donor list right now but I have made it well known to all my family and friends that if I was to die, I want whatever organs that are needed donated to help someone else. I've even threatened them if they denied my final wish, I will come back and haunt them for the rest of their lives.
@webeishere (36353)
Unless theres a problem there actually isn't a lot of pain involved. The pain is from giving herself an injection in the thigh twice a day for a week prior to donating. HAHAHA I haunt my family now. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
forgot to say, i think your wife is doing a wonderful thing for her brother, hope everything cos well
@webeishere (36353)
Thanks also. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
I've been on the bone marrow donner list for years now, i've never been called up for it. I give blood and carry an organ donner card also. My bits aren't much good to me when i'm gone, and want to be cremated anyway. I'd want there to be someone who could help save my children or someone else i love if i couldn't, so it seems right that i'd be willing to do the same for someones elses loved ones.
@webeishere (36353)
Grats to you for both ends of being a donor. I can only imagine her brothers feelings knowing he needs this and has to wait so long though. That's got be one heck of a burden on his mind I'd bet. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~