how you teach your kids about christmas

Lampe, Missouri
so this is a hard one. how do you teach your kids about christmas? i mean are they tough that it is about giving and getting gifts? do you spend alot on everyone just for gifts? well in our home we have tough our 3 kids christmas is not about getting things you want. and that if you have a roof over your head, food on the table get some of the family and close friends over to eat a good meal that is what is important to us on christmas. we try to get each kid a small gift usally somthing they need, and then a small gift of somthing they want. as for my husband and i christmas could be year round as when we see somthing we need or want and can get it that is a gift to us. this year we are in a lawsuit over our home so dec 3 through dec 5 we will be in court so if we win and get to keep our home and not get thrown out in the streets for christmas that will be the best gift money could or couldn't buy. what do you say or do about christmas?
@cher913 (25893)
we have taught our kids that they get gifts from people that love them and its not just about the presents, its about family and love. we are very strapped this year also, so we havent spent a lot on christmas (i shop all year round)
• Lampe, Missouri
thank you for replying to my post.
i don't have any child yet, co'z im still young and im only 18 yrs old,but if ever i have a child i will teach him or her about christmas like,that christmas is the day when christ our saviour is born.and that christmas is the day when you always receive and give some love and gifts from your love ones,a family member or to a friend.i will teach him or her that giving some love from deep inside your heart is the greatest christmas that you ever celebrate in your life.
• Lampe, Missouri
Well that is good for you. Not many people think like that. I mean realy Christmas to to ceabrate Christ birthday not ours so it should be christ that gets gifts right. I mean on your birthday do you give all your gifts to someone else or do you keep them?
@blueunicorn (2409)
My husband and I teach our children that Christmas is about family and sharing. We are not Christian, but there was a time that we were. The kids learned about the birth of Jesus, but we still did the gift and Santa things. The focus has always been about family, though, since we recognise that not everyone is Christian. Our kids don't get a whole lot of gifts from us, but they do get enough. They don't get much throughout the rest of the year, so it is our time for spoiling them a little bit. Like you, my husband and I get what we want throughout the year. That is not a whole lot, though, as neither of us really have desire for "things". We have never exchanged gifts between us but have purchased "family gifts" at Christmas that we probably would have bought soon anyway. For example, one year we knew we were going to need a new TV so we got that as our family gift. I wish you luck with your court case. I'm sure this is a scary time for you. I'll send positive thoughts your way.
• Lampe, Missouri
Thank you for replying and for sending your best wishes my way for court. I plan to post here how things go.