Tips for Handling Telemarketers

@tess1960 (2386)
These are Andy Rooney's tips. I got them in an e-mail and just had to share them with you all. Three Little Words That Work !! (1)The three little words are: "Hold On, Please..." Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt. Then when you eventually hear the phone company's "beep-beep-beep" tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task. These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting. Sometimes I think I've had this done to me when calling the utility company!! I have no idea if this one works but thought it was interesting: (2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end? This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real" sales person to call back and get someone at home. What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer !!! This next one is my favorite: (3) Junk Mail Help: When you get "ads" enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these "ads" with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away. When you get those "pre-approved" letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope. Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 41 cents postage "IF" and when they receive them back. It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was 39 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes. One of Andy Rooney's (60 minutes) ideas. Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Express. Send a pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them their blank application back! If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them. You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing! It still costs them 41 cents. The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM them. Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they're paying for it...Twice! Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they had to increase postage costs again. You get the idea! I have to admit I have sent junk mail back in postage paid envelopes before. I was sick and at home in bed and bored. I felt naughty doing it. LOL
@misheleen73 (6037)
I have never done the junk mail thing. That sounds like a great idea..lol. I used to be a telemarketer when I was young, and I have to say I appreciated the people that said no right away. Left more time to call other people. Telemarketing, customer service, all phone related business has really gone down the tubes. When I did it, if the person said no once, we were allowed to hang up AND remove them from the list. They just keep going and going now. Even if you call AOL or other companies, they offer pakages, services, etc. It is ridiculous now.
@tess1960 (2386)
I agree.... my daughter has had phone services jobs and she would get frustrated because when there where no calls in she had to make calls out and she had one elder lady on her list so many times they got to know each other rather well. It is sad, as I am sure there are those out that that may be interested.
@Adoniah (7515)
When you send the junk mail back in the prepaid envelope, tear it into little tiny pieces first. It helps work off some of your frustration. I love Andy Rooney.
@tess1960 (2386)
Adoniah, I love that idea, plus this will insure no name or address on the junkmail returned. LOL Genius!!