Hanukkah

@Adoniah (7515)
Is anybody getting ready to celebrate Hanukkah? I know that even some Christians incorporate it in their December holiday celebrations. Does anybody have anything to say on the subject?
I am the only Jewish member of my family so we always celebrate both. The best years are when Christmas is a day of Hanukkah.I like seeing the Hanukkia and the Christmas tree both lit.
@Adoniah (7515)
It makes life interesting doesn't it. Neither one of my kids follow Judaism, but they don't do much at christmas either. I think my youngest will eventually embrace her heritage.
It is better when they come to it of their own accord.My mom was an agnostic, my dad was a baptist, and I started practicing Judaism back in 1988.
@Adoniah (7515)
I was actually raised by a Roman Catholic so I came a long way to find my roots!
@Lindalinda (4112)
Yes, Hanukkah, oh I am so sad I won't be invited this year all my Jewish friends live far away. Basically to the person who asked what Hanukkah is from what I understand it is in memory of the victory of the Maccabees, a Jewish group who defeated the Syrian army a long time ago. When they wanted to re-dedicate the temple they found some olive oil but only for a day. They lit the menorah and there was a miracle, the oil lasted for 8 days. Thus the festival of lights. I would like to eat beef brisket, noodle kugel, tossed salad with olives and pickles latkes with sour cream, I don't like it with apple sauce since there are onions in it. I would also like some of the deep fried doughnuts. The foods fried in oil are in memory of the oil that lasted 8 days. Oh, and don't forget the glazed Lebkuchen (a kind of ginger bread) In a Sephardic house I would also like some lamb with apricots, couscous and a parsley salad. When I was working I worked for a very large organization. There were people of many faiths. At the beginning of Hanukkah there was always coffee and fried doughnuts in the lobby of our building and a rabbi who lighted the first candle in a gigantic menora next to a gigantic Christmas tree. So, who is going to invite me over? Happy Hanukkah to everyone who celebrates it.
@Adoniah (7515)
Best answer. I live alone and never have anyone to share Hanukkah with. Most people do not mention the story of the Maccabees which is the origional reason for the memories at this time of year. The gift giving and over eating only really became popular because of the secular part of the christian celebrations of christmas which is so close to the same time. The little ones see all the beautiful lights and presents and parties and say why? So Hanukkah rose in importance and the remembrance of the Maccabees was kept more to the Synagogue and religious services and the Orthodox.
@kurtbiewald (2628)
ok, I'm only like 25% Jewish by heritage I heard you have to get like 9 gifts for everybody or something like that its really enough just to get one for each of the neices and nephews I think
@Adoniah (7515)
Hanukkah is 8 days long but the gift part is optional. This is not christmas where you have to buy gifts. Hanukkah is really two stories from the Bible combined. The one most people understand is the one about 1 days worth of oil lasting 8 days; so it is a festival of light. Mostly folks light their Menorahs and eat latkahs which are fried jelly filled donuts and other goodies.
But I thought latkes were potato pancakes made with grated raw potatoes fried and eaten with sour cream or apple sauce.
@Adoniah (7515)
I think I am getting tired and should go to bed I keep screwing up. We do eat Latkas and Jelly donuts. Oy vay.