Helpfull Kitchen Hints.

@chrislotz (8203)
Canada
December 4, 2007 8:09am CST
Have you ever burnt popcorn in your microwave? Boy what a horrible smell. It takes forever to get that smell out. I have washed the inside of the microwave several times and still I have not gotten the smell out. Every time I use the microwave the food I am heating tastes like burnt popcorn. So I found a solution. If you put a little container of baking soda in your microwave and leave it in there, when you cook something that has a terrible odor, the baking soda will absorb the odor and then all you have to do is throw away the baking soda, wash out the container and the microwave and replace the baking soda. It works, try it. Do you have any helpfull hints on this subject? Have you tried something else that works? Please share.
1 person likes this
3 responses
@lilybug (21148)
• United States
4 Dec 07
Microwaving a bowl with some vinegar in it also helps get rid of the burnt smell. Just put a little vinegar in a bowl an microwave for like a minute and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Go back and wipe out the inside of the microwave.
1 person likes this
• United States
4 Dec 07
I agree with the vinegar method. My son left a mini-bag of popcorn in the microwave set on the regular popcorn setting and it not only burnt and made a bad smell, but it made a mess, too. I believe it was vinegar that I finally used to help with that. It seemed that awful smell stayed in my nose for a very long time. Yuck!
1 person likes this
@chrislotz (8203)
• Canada
4 Dec 07
Well, thank you so much. I am trying that right now as we specak. I still have some of the smell in my microwave so I will let you know how it works out. I have just set it to one minute and now I have to wait out the fifteen minutes.
@chrislotz (8203)
• Canada
4 Dec 07
Well I did it and it got rid of that little bit of smell I had left. Thank you so much for this. This is one of the reasons I enjoy mylot so much. Getting helpful hints from other members.
@sherrir101 (3670)
• United States
4 Dec 07
Lemon juice sometimes works. I have my grandmother's microwave and it had a bad smell due to burnt pop tarts. (Go figure) I used lemon juice on a wash cloth then microwaved lemon juice and waited for 15 minutes, and washed it all out with a warm soapy wash cloth and the smell went away. I hope that you get rid of the smell soon.
1 person likes this
• United States
4 Dec 07
wow that's a great tip. I've heard of putting baking soda in the fridge but, I've never thought about putting it in the microwave. How the heck did you figure this one out? You are very smart for trying it.
1 person likes this