Dirty Politics?

Wow, here's something worth looking at if you are interested in the quest for the democratic nomination for President of the USA. http://tpmelectioncentral.com/2007/12/heres_the_obama_smearmail_sent_out_by_the_county_chair_volunteering_for_hillary.php So, what's your opinion? Is this a smear on Obama or an honest effort to get out the truth? In other words, is this dirty politics or not?
@bobmnu (8160)
Do you supose they got this information from all the FBI and IRS files they reviewed right after Bill took office and the ugly court case challening their rigth to view the files. It took several months to resolve, pleanty of time to make complete copies of all the files. I don't knowif this is true or not but it does have Clinton written all over it. They will stop at nothing to get back in power.
People seem to have forgotten about those illegally obtained files. We did need a reminder, thanks.
@anniepa (27238)
I guess I do need a reminder; just what came of that investigation of "Filegate"? Who was proven guilty of wrongdoing and did anyone get indicted for it? I think this looks and sounds much more like a Karl Rove dirty trick than something the Clintons would do. Annie
@MntlWard (880)
It's a smear campaign. In that email there's a comment that's supposed to be from someone higher in the chain that says "I checked snopes.com and it's all true!" Well, I just checked snopes.com and found out it's all misleading and mostly outright false.
That's darn good thinking! Thanks, for the information. Wish I'd done that.
@MntlWard (880)
This ties in with the story about Karl Rove giving Obama advice on how to beat Hillary. Rove sees Obama as a weaker candidate and Rove already has 2008's "swift boat" style fear campaign lined up against Obama. I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if Hillary was behind this smear, but neither would I be surprised to find Rove was behind it, because it makes Hillary look bad.
Well I dont think it can be a smear campaign when everything they wrote was fact, more like scare tactics than anything. I will 100 percent agree that when I first heard this months ago, I was a little leary, and I am not at all a ignorant person. Seems to me though that would be the perfect coup to have an american president of muslim religion. I would have to have more info before making a final judgement.
Ah... the voice of reason. I agree with you. We need more information before making final judgement. So, let's keep an eye on this and see what we find out.
@soccermom (3200)
It is dirty politics, and there are so many places I could go with this but I will try to stay focused. Does a 3% lead by Obama in the Iowa polls really freak her out to this extent? Obviously. The "facts" in this email have been getting spread around at various intervals during this campaign. Obama was not sworn in with a Koran, Keith Ellison of Virginia was. That fact is easy enough to find, it appears Hillary is praying on the ignaorance of most Americans to not do their own research. And as far as the religion thing goes, so what if he went to Muslim school? Obama is very educated on different religons, it was not just limited to a Mulim education. People need to sit back and look at the big picture, how many people (myself included) were raised with one religious upbringing only to convert to another when they became adults? It's just another tactic on the part of the Clinton machine to take the focus of of her shortcomings. I hope it doesn't work.
@anniepa (27238)
It's obviously a smear, or an attempt of one, in my opinion. Is Hillary directly responsible? I don't know and I don't think there's been enough evidence of that so far. If she is then that's dirty politics, plain and simple and it will hurt her campaign big time. It will certainly affect my judgment of her. However, for now I'm far more likely to suspect someone like Karl Rove had something to do with this in the effort to make Hillary look bad. Hopefully the truth will come out eventually, before it's too late! As for Obama, I really don't care what his parents did or what their religious beliefs are or were; I don't care where he went to school at the age of 5 or 8 or whenever! Has he done anything in his adult life to show he's a Muslim extremist or could possibly lean that way? I certainly don't think so! The bit about him not placing his hand over his heart is kind of nitpicking, in my opinion. I mean, I know it's accepted behavior for many but there actually are those who have never gotten into that habit, NOT because they're not patriotic or respectful of their country's flag but, well, just because they never have. Annie
Yes, it was a smear and sometimes there is justice. Today, the person responsible was identified by name in the news with the annoucement that they were fired. This is something I think all fair minded people can agree with.
@Destiny007 (5820)
It is plainly dirty politics, and is an old issue at that. Obama dealt with this rumor very well this last time it came up, and I am sure he will do so again if necessary. It seems the Clinton camp is found of dirty tricks and smear campaigns in an effort to deflect attention away from her own many shortcomings.
Yes, I would think Obama has the opportunity to turn this "dirty trick" back on Hillary. This could help Obama if he pursues it.
Everything in politics is dirty. You have to admit that. Just take a look at the vast majority of commercials that are on the local airwaves during elections. Candidate X did this once when he was 19, but Candidate A did this twice when he was married. Candidate P did not do this but instead, voted to do that even though he swore he was against it. Just once in my life, I'd love to see honest commercials from candidates and to see them not smear each other. As for Obama Bin Laden, I don't like the platform in which he stands for, so I wouldn't vote for him anyway. But if he is trying to hide who he is in order to get votes, he needs to be outed. You're supposed to be yourself and be honest during a campaign. Not hide behind a Bible when you are really Muslim or another religion.
"I'd love to see honest commercials from candidates and to see them not smear each other." I've often said that the only time dumbocrats and retardicans tell the truth is when they talk about each other. If this is true, how can there possibly be honest commercials without the candidates smearing each other?