who has borrowed from you? have they returned it?

@LittleMel (14055)
I've had at least 4 people borrowed from me and they only returned it after I made so many attempts to get it back. Three of them borrowed money, I thought I should help. I didn't have much money either at the time but I was employed and they were not (or in a large debt). They said they would return it oh well they did after so many attempts I don't care if their parents were mad at me (why should they, anyway?) Then another one borrowed a book and a week prior to exam she returned it, of course I thought she wouldn't and so I made a copy of someone else's book. I wouldn't let her make me fail the exam for sure. What about you? who has borrowed from you?
The person who has borrowed the most money from me and the most times would be my mom. I could never say no. All through college she knew when I had money and would borrow large sums often making me scramble to pay my bills later on when she didn't pay me back on time. Well...errr...
@LittleMel (14055)
your mom doesn't work and you do? that's strange. most of the time the mom works and the children don't or both of them work. I know how you feel, I had to work during my final year because I wanted to help my parents, but they didn't borrow the money I just gave it to them
Well..at the time she worked and I worked. But she has never been good with money and she would borrow hundreds at a time four-eight hundred. I was going to college and this was especially true when I got student loan money. Then it would be time to pay rent and she would not have paid me back yet... Now she doesn't work and she lives with and off of us. It is hard, but what can I do?
@LittleMel (14055)
you're right, you can't choose your mother
i have two stories where a friend has borrowed something and i haven't gotten it back. one was a movie. she borrowed one of mine and i borrowed one of hers. she then lost my movie somehow - so i just kept hers! even though i liked my movie that she lost better than the one i had borrowed from her, but oh well. then the other is i let my friend borrow two movies from me in summer2006 and he still has yet to return them.
@LittleMel (14055)
you know I think I should do that. if someone borrows from me I will borrow from them too, if they didn't return it I will not return theirs. I'll do that from now on
hahaha.
@chrislotz (8203)
You will learn in life that you won't always get back money you borrow out. I have borrowed people money if my lifetime, that I never haven gotten back. It is just the way life is. I have learned to accept it and just chalk it up as a lost. Once I borrow someone money and never get paid back, I will not ever borrow them money again. Of course, there are exceptions to this, being my children. There is a saying, get burned once, shame on you, get burned twice shame on me. Shame on me for falling for it again.
@LittleMel (14055)
you're right. I should've been more careful after I got burned once. None of them was my best friend nor good friend, I don't know why I was so generous
Yesterday my colleague borrowed me money as she bought something. It is not a big amount anyway. But I hope she could remember to return it. You know, I will feel embarrassed to remind of her. So if she forgets it, then it's my lost. What a pity! I haven't experienced the same once. I always return anything I borrow, and I expect others do the same.
@LittleMel (14055)
then maybe you can take her shopping again and let her pay for it this time
@tryxiness (4548)
I have friend who borrowed money from me. He told me that he will pay me. But a year had passed he never ever showed any intention of paying what he owed me. Grrr.
@LittleMel (14055)
is it big amount? is he in trouble? I hope he will return the money
@makatas (1101)
• Greece
I try to lend things to people whom i know i will get them back.Maybe a little late, but i always do.Thats for sure, because i do the same, always return as quick as possible whatever i have borrowed to its owner.It isnt nice to keep sth that doesnt belong to you.That issue with book before exams has happened to me too,and i didnt pass it for that reason :(
@LittleMel (14055)
you see these people might have done it on purpose. borrowing but never return it. books, money etc it's ridiculous
@eyewitness (1577)
• Netherlands
Family members of mine borrow most of the times money from me. It happens a lot because they always have problems with money.Two of them i can't blame but the others i can.Also some outside of the fam borrowed money and it's hard to get it back and it takes sometimes half a year or longer before i get it back.I even had times when i really didn;t ever got it back and i'm like whatever but i know i will never borrow them again. Sometimes it's annoying but now i have changed the method.I'm gonna help them with their money by being their financial advisor and doing there accounts and stuff.So they never have to borrow money again from me and they will get a very high bank account.
@LittleMel (14055)
maybe you should charge them for the service, after all they owe you money and never return it
i often lend my money to my best friends just because they need it.of course they return it back as soon as they can without my attempts to get it back.
@LittleMel (14055)
my best friend never borrow anything from me, she is rich and have plenty of friends
@polachicago (19075)
I lost one dress, one camera, many books and lots of money. More than this, I never hear from those people again..... I learned the hard way to watch what I have. If someone wants something, I say no. I rather give it for my family.
@LittleMel (14055)
camera is expensive, the one that you use because you're photographer. the money I lent out was not a lot compared to what most people lost, but at the time I was employed and went to school so I felt that it was hard earned and I did anything to get it back, even talked to the parents or the landlord
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
I had quite a problem with my neighbour in fact I had at one point got so frustrated that I started a post about it. I finally ended up telling her I just couldn't afford to be handing stuff out anymore. She'd come even when I wasn't here. My brother in law would let her in and she'd go in my fridge and cupboards and help herself. There was no end and I never once had any of my stuff returned.
@LittleMel (14055)
I think I read this before, your neighbor coming to your house and get eggs or milk etc. you know I never had a neighbor like that and if I do I would say no in the first place. because we don't buy a lot in grocery, so if anyone asks we will be left with very little. good thing you stopped this before it's too late, things get more expensive every day
@Dido1988 (29)
My friends ofthen borrow money from me,but they return it when they has got money.So I think that I should help them do my best when they are poor!
@LittleMel (14055)
that's the thing here. we all need money. so sure I'd be willing to help but not if they never return it when I'm in need
I have lost count of the amount of money people owe me over the years. I an not in a great financial position myself and know how hard it is some days but I still lend to people usually not expecting to get it back
@LittleMel (14055)
I wish I could be that generous. not expecting it back. but many times after I lent them money, something happened so that I need the money back
@almajoes (54)
When people borrow from me, I make sure I trust them beforehand. Usually it's my family and friends that I lend to because I can trust them more.
@LittleMel (14055)
those people were my friends. OK some of them were classmates. but friends or not has nothing to do with responsibility, does it
@Malyck (3428)
A former friend borrowed many of my clothes and several beloved books that I wished to share with her. It took several months (just over 7 months) of me regularly contacting her for some of my possessions to finally be returned. Unfortunately, she still has one very sentimentally valuable cardigan of mine that she refuses to return. I have even seen her out wearing it, after telling me that she had lost it. I'll have it soon, with any luck =) I just need to persevere. Good on you for making extra notes, instead of just waiting for your friend to return your book :)
@LittleMel (14055)
oh my I hope you tell everybody else that the cardigan is yours, if not she can do it someone else too. I know someone who stole her friend's shorts and she forgot it wasn't hers, she wore it one day and her friend was all over her