When relationships fail should the none married people split money?

I have heard that people who lived together not married. Then later break up should split the money in the bank. I am one who would not agree to this. Not for your sake for my sake. If I lived with a man again it would be the same as I am single. I would pay my own rent. I can't allow a man to do this for me. I would pay my own bills and by my own things. he will be cooking so he can take the pots and pans. The money in his account is his. As my money is mine. Even if married again I would not have a joint acct. Where do you stand on splitting your cash?
@MisterPlus (1917)
I guess what must happen to this people who lived togethr and decided to go on their own ways must only pack their own thing and leave.
yes some live together as a friend they dont have any problem , who start to spoil there relationship there is the problem will come ..
Iam from India here metro city i know so many people live like that ,especialy students who come for study i think tahts not fair , if they are live together for life long means ok after theier course period over or some one come for job whtever after they got seperatd regarding money matter more over they are not ready marry simply time pass they are telling the reason .. I took the survey about this matter in my city . Some girls start to live like that after they like to marry the guy but they are not allow to that. like that so many cases i know .Mostprobebly problem will come for money matter.
I think it's just about point of view and commitment. I think your priority is Dignity more then relationship or love. It's just a matter of commitment. For me, i open for any view or way of it. I just see it as commitment. As long as the decision make the relationship go to further level.
@sedel1027 (17854)
I feel like if you are in a fully committed relationship that there should be a joint account. I do think that each person should have a savings account on the side - $1K or so - just to have the money if they need it for anything - car repairs, if they loose their job, etc. That amount should be the same for each person and should not be hidden from the other person in the relationship.
@kurtbiewald (2628)
we have 3 accounts i kinda think the connection you make (ideally) is way more important than money if you go into making a life with somebody and they are making you happy and you make them happy, then its really a permanant intention so if you split and they take the money, then they are happy and that was teh original intention and commitment anyway the loss of a lfe partner is so much more serious than just some money I think, if its $100 or a million, same kinda
@cosylvia (401)
i dont think so that,for me when i broke the relationship with EX-BF,i splitting some cash from him,coz i dont believe he love me so deeply.so i take his money..i dont like loss both the money and love,
No i dont think they should split the cash. Unless they agree on doing so. I know someone who was putting money in a joint account and the girlfriend was going on "shopping sprees" all the time. Needless to say that didnt work out too long. Im married and i dont even have a joint account. Money is a thing that causes a lot of problems in relationships. So everyone should think wisely when doing this.
@wisedragon (2330)
For me there shouldn't be any joint accounts or conjugal properties if the couple is not married. This shouldn't be taken as a sign that you don't love each other. It's just a matter of being practical because the reality is that relationships fail and it would be a major hassle dividing anything that's considered shared by the two of you. If you've reached a level where you want to share everything like money and a house, you might as well get married.
I think that would have to depend on the nature of the relationship. A long standing life-long relationship should be about the sharing of two lives and, in this day and age, money is a big part of that. One partner should be able to depend on the other when times are hard. Not everyone is rolling in money! I, personally, am unemployed at the moment and do have to occasionally rely on my fiance to pick up some of the slack financially and he's just fine with that, as I would be were our positions reversed. If a couple is living together and not bound by the legalities of marriage, I think that it's a decision that each couple has to make for themselves. It's about personal choice. Some couples don't make money the top priority, while others think about little else. It really just depends on the people involved.
@marketing07 (6266)
• South Korea
if i lived together without marriage, i think my money is mine,and his money is his,if we are married i will have ask him 6o split the money
Well what happens 'after' the break up totally depends on what's going on 'during' the relationship. If we're both putting money into a joint account, then sure, that money should be split afterwards. If everything is already split right down the middle...savings, bills, possessions....then no, I wouldn't expect anything to be awkwardly or unnecessarily split after a breakup either.
@sedel1027 (17854)
Before my current husband and I were married we had a joint account. Actually, we had my account that eventually became a joint account. He is the only person I have ever moved in with and lived with for a long time and had a joint account with. When I was with my ex-husband we had 2 accounts - his where I was added on, then I had my own account. I would pay my cell bills, car note, credit cards, daycare, and spending money for myself and our son out of my account; everything else came out of his because he made a lot more money than I did and he had quite a few more bills. When we split up, we were no longer living together and I had a job so I was not really concerned about whatever money was in his account.