Massive Recall of Childhood Vaccines

@pyewacket (44036)
Just heard this on the news that there is a massive recall of the "HIP" vaccine that is given to children as young as two months of age, and is supposed to protect children from pneumonia, meningitis, among other childhood diseases. The recall involves over a million doses that were distributed beginning in April of 2007 and is being recalled due to the suspicion that the vaccine isn't "stable" in other words probably either ineffective, but another source said the vaccine may not have been properly sterilized...so gee, contaminated? Here's an excerpt from this website ..."The FDA and Merck, is recalling 1 million doses of its PedvaxHib and COMVAX vaccines, including 13 lots of vaccine, which were distributed since April 2007. The vaccines are being recalled because of a "lack of assurance of product sterility," after Merck found the Bacillus cereus bacteria on some of the manufacturing equipment. B. cereus is a common cause of food poisoning, although it can cause other infections too, including skin infections, meningitis, sepsis, etc. Fortunately, none of the vaccines themselves were found to be contaminated and no children have been harmed. If your child recently received a Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type b) vaccine that was involved in the recall and is showing signs of an infection, such as swelling and redness at the infection site, be sure to see your pediatrician. It is unlikely that your child recently got a PedvaxHib shot though, as Merck stopped shipments of the vaccine in mid November because of a "manufacturing problem." The current recall makes it more clear what that problem might have been. The Hib vaccine is commonly given over three or four doses to infants and toddlers at their 2, 4, 6, and 12 to 15 month checkups to prevent bacterial meningitis, pneumonia, epiglottitis, and other infections. There is another version of the Hib vaccine, so even though the PedvaxHib and COMVAX is temporarily unavailable, there will hopefully be enough vaccine to go around to prevent a shortage. ..." The entire article is here: http://pediatrics.about.com/b/2007/12/12/hib-vaccine-recall.htm In the other article it says: ...""The potential for contamination of any individual vaccine is low, and, if present, the level of contamination would be low," Merck said..." Website is here: http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSWBT00804620071213 Ah, so if Merck says the contamination might be low, why the recall?
@Lakota12 (42684)
they are saving their selves! for sure. This is one reason why I have asked if some of these shot are really nessasary to the oh so young kids. so much can go wrong where they make them for you really have to have a CLEAN ROOM to do these in and if just one person comes in with a cold or something can contaminate the whole batch! Very risky I would say huh?
@pyewacket (44036)
Also when you think of it, say if these kids get the vaccines and they have some bad side effect that isn't quite apparent, how can such a young child express how they feel? Yes, it would be so easy for any kind of contamination if someone is sick
@Lakota12 (42684)
would be very scary since they have no way of telling us how they feel they could only be fussy or cry alot but that isnt telling you what is wrong and some might not even think about the shot making them sick! yup
This makes me think why so many parents in the UK will not allow their kids to have certain vaccinations anymore, especially as there have been links to autism. I found out years ago that when my children had their MMR, it had cow bovine in it. This was at the time when Mad Cow Disease was being exposed. It makes me feel physically sick to think I am putting my childrens health into the hands of the medical profession and I just do not have a clue what they are giving them. I have heard in the USA the government wants to give mass vaccinations and if there are problems they have covered themselves so no one can sue. After this incident, it should send alarm bells ringing to people that they do not have to put up with this dictatorship and stand firm against this law. Thanks for making us aware of such issues Pye. Most of the time these things are swept under the carpet and the average person never gets to hear of this.
@pyewacket (44036)
Yes, there have been possible links to vaccines triggering off autism. Also, from what I understand, children are bombarding with so many, multiple vaccines all at once..how are we to know for sure how that will affect the health of the child in general? It's almost as bad as a person who takes numerous medications and might be suffering from the combined side effects.
@MsTickle (24993)
Recall a product due to possible contamination even though the level may be low??? Why do this???? I can think of only one valid (in a backhanded way) reason and that's to lull the public into a false sense of security. The cost is probably factored into the budget and this is probably part of an ongoing business plan. People will think ...'oh, I feel a lot safer knowing these guys are taking every possible precaution to keep us safe'. The public will purchase their pharmaceutical needs with a renewed sense of worth and safety. I think it would see an increase in the sales figures for this company as well. A bit of a silly idea possibly but not an impossible scenario in my opinion.
@pyewacket (44036)
Thing is, while giving people a sense of security by recalling the vaccines now, who is to say it won't happen again, and at a worser level of contamination...In some ways, I'm sure glad I'm not a parent and have to worry about all this shat.
@babykay (2133)
wow this is very scary. I got my child some of these vaccinations and now am thinking of getting him the MMR. Maybe I should think again. I have never been fully convinced by the arguments of those in favour of vaccinations but when it comes to my child actually getting the diseases, I think the vaccinations are the lesser of two evils.
@pyewacket (44036)
Yes, the vaccinations might be the lesser of two evils, but who is to know what kind of effects they could trigger? Some have linked these childhood vaccines to the increase of autism.
Sounds like they are trying to cover their rear ends. You know, with all the recalls on medicine in this day and age, I'm wondering exactly what people were being given decades ago.
By the way, I just got back on here after being gone, what exactly are the orange things that say 'life - level 15'?
@Aurone (4758)
Yeah, I heard about that. Just seems like they are recalling everything these days.
@faith210 (11233)
Hi pyewacket! I am worried for all those who have been vaccinated with those vaccines. And I really hope that all those recalled vaccines will not be donated or sold for a very cheap price on third world countries. Sad to say but there are a lot of different manufactured products that were recalled in first world countries that landed in our country. I really wonder if the people behind this irresponsible act and greed still have conscience. Just my thoughts. take care and have a nice day! :)
@howard96h (11658)
• New York, New York
Hi my friend, nothing is safe anymore. People are getting worse and just don't care about doing their jobs correctly anymore. What a shame. I go out of my apartment less and less so I don't have to deal with all the incompetent people out there.
@artemis432 (7474)
• Abernathy, Texas
Scary. It was so hard to make the decision of whether or not to vaccinate our baby - with all the dangerous preservatives and such - but this is even scarier.
@worldwise1 (14887)
All I have to say on the subject, pyewacket, is the world must be filled with inept, irresponsible people when they continue making these stupid mistakes that endanger the health of children and adults. You really don't have to look very far to see how far the work ethic has slipped in our society. Clerks in the stores act as though you are getting on their last nerve if you ask them a simple question. You receive shoddy service at restaurants. Many doctors don't even want to take the time to answer a few questions from their patients. It is no wonder that those who do not deal directly with the public feel they can get away with producing inferior products.
@polachicago (19073)
They are doing it because of massive internet discussions about vaccination. It is proven for many years that vaccination is helping but also is creating side effects. FDA is not doing good job to begin with. Each vaccine needs to be approved by FDA before reach the market.