Do All Restaurants Donate Left Over Food to Soup Kitchens?

@vmenard (895)
I've been thinking about homeless people a lot since the weather is turning cold, I worry even more. I wondered if restuarants donated left over food at the end of the day, to soup kitchens. I would hope they do and not just throw the food away.
@cher913 (25890)
i know tim horton's does (this is a donut place in canada and various parts of the us) they donate their day olds to food banks and the like. it would be interesting to hear what chains (such as kfc) do with their left overs
@Sissygrl (10915)
Not every timmies does this. The one i worked at you had to throw them in the dumpster, and lock up the garbage so no one else can get to it! If you get caught putting the day olds to the side for someone you would get fired. As an employee i wasn't even allowed to eat anything even thought it was going into the bleeding garbage! How moronic is that. It was considered STEALING.
@vmenard (895)
Wow I'm learning a lot unfortuantely it's not nice. I can't believe people would rather throw food away instead of letting others in need have it.
@howard96h (11659)
• New York, New York
Not any of the restaurants in my area. I have a firend who works in the kitchen of a city school and he said the staff is forced to destroy the food before throwing it away so the homeless people going through the gabage don't eat it. They must pour bleach all over the food. I just can't understand this. There is so much food that they throw away every day and they won't allow the hungry homeless people have it.
@vmenard (895)
I can't believe that either, what a waste. I don't see the harm in donating food, I guess they have some kind of reason.
@howard96h (11659)
• New York, New York
They say the reason is because they don't want to get sued if someone gets sick eating the food they throw out. Don't they think if a starving person tries eating something that had bleach poured on it, that this is a worse situation to get sued? What inconsiderate people. Well they don't know but before my friend is forced to throw away all that food, he puts away some sandwiches and milk and goes to the park every day after work and gives it out to some homeless people that haven't eaten.
@Sissygrl (10915)
I have worked in a few resteraunts in my life, and i have never heard of a resteraunt owner donating the left over food at the end of the day. They usually have some sort of routine or something that they do with the left over food so that they are not "wasting money" like they reuse left over hamburgers for chilli. Or left over donair meat get frozen and put on top of donair pizza. Noodles get frozen and reused the next day. People who run resteraunts do not become wealthy by giving things away. I found a lot of them are cheap! Even employee's don't usually get any kinds of hand outs!!
@vmenard (895)
Wow that's nice to know, I guess I was being naive in thinking they would try to help others. I can see keeping the food if they can reuse it.
@lightningMD (5932)
It would be wonderful if they did donate the leftover food or even just let the workers have it. Since most of them make low wages.They could even leave it in the alley where homeless people could get it without having to dig in the garbage.