Plea for cat owners

By Amy
Abernathy, Texas
December 14, 2007 12:53pm CST
As some of you may know, I lost a cat during pregnancy. I'd gotten him at the shelter and had no idea he had skin cancer. It was keep him and remove his ears and nose and soon enough his eyes or put him to sleep. He was my baby, i carried him around like one, he came to me when I sang - really it wasn't caterwauling and he kept me company while my husband, a defense contractor to homeland security and customs when away on TDY's which after pregnancy, I rarely accompanied him on. THere are other dangers besides skin cancer: Being hit by cars Eating antifreeze - which tastes sweet to kitties fan belts crawling into cars for warmth and being poisoned by gas or burned (the vet thought it might be a possibility for my kitty - being burned - as it happens a lot - but not so lucky poison - by plants
4 people like this
6 responses
@Sissygrl (10915)
• Canada
14 Dec 07
There are not just dangers outside. one of the things that we never thought of was the tiolet water. When you put that self cleaning cleaner in there and it turns the water blue, your cat could be drinking that. We think that's how my first cat got sick. It killed her immune system and she couldnt fight infections. Her mouth and jaw got infected and she couldnt eat. she would cry when she tried and run away from the bowl and hide. After a while my parents decided it was not fair to keep her suffering. i at age 5 or 6 did not agree as i LOVED my dear kitty. she was my first kitty, and the best kitty i ever had. I dont keep animals anymore. I do love most animals, especially cats, but i can't bear to see them go when they go it just breaks my heart. Is that selfish ?
1 person likes this
• Abernathy, Texas
14 Dec 07
We don't use that stuff - we use chemical free cleaners - especially vinegar which is not only a great cleaner but it disinfects, takes out odours and keeps away pests like ants and roaches. We do keep the toilet seat down though when we have a cat visiting or living here. Its hard to lose a pet isn't it? Its not selfish at all. You could try a parrot - who just might outlive you - I think they live about 60 years. And they can talk to you. :) Good luck.
• Abernathy, Texas
14 Dec 07
If you do get another cat, also be sure not to keep plants - like poinsettas - around which is poisoness for cats. :)
@Aurone (4758)
• United States
16 Dec 07
I try to take good care of my furbabies. We keep no plants that would be bad for nibbling. And they are strictly indoor cats. Sorry to hear about your little one. Thanks for reminding us about the things that can hurt our little furbabies.
1 person likes this
• Abernathy, Texas
16 Dec 07
I'm glad you're so good to your little furbabies. I'm sure you have a story or two about losing a furry family member.
@pyewacket (44036)
• United States
15 Dec 07
When you think of it there are a lot of potential dangers to pets in the home. Chemical cleaners of any kind for starters. Also, I once did a discussion about the dangers of paper shredders, and indicated that if a person insists on having them, to keep they well away from where a pet might get at them, or at least always have them turned off and unplugged when not using...the results if these safety precautions aren't considered can be gruesome..a pet's tail or paw, or as in the discussion I did, a dog's tongue was actually caught in it.
• Abernathy, Texas
15 Dec 07
Yep, if you look, I made a list above of dangers in the home - I wish people wouldn't use harsh cleansers - I never had because I have pets, I use all natural cleansers - usually vinegar which is an excellent cleanser and deoderizer. Actually its good for a good many things - one of us should do a discussion on vinegar!Its even a great and natural pest repellent. At least inside the home you can control the environment somewhat - if pet caretakers will take the time. Just like with a baby, you need to pet proof your home. Which I'm sure you knw - I'm glad you made a discussion about it. I was thinking of it. Ewness, I don't even want to think of that! I'm going to start making paper so we won't have a need for our shredder. If people want a pet, they need to accept that to love him or her is to take responsibility - full responsibility. I'm so glad you're out here on mylot writing these kinds of discussions for pets!
1 person likes this
@pyewacket (44036)
• United States
15 Dec 07
I use vinegar a lot for cleaning. It's great for washing windows, and mirrors. I use baking soda for as a cleanser instead of something like Ajax Oh, by the way here's a complete listing of plants that are poisonous for cats http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html and another list http://www.doberdogs.com/Toxic.html
• Abernathy, Texas
15 Dec 07
Thanks, this will be great for other readers - we don't have indoor plants so we don't worry too much - baking soda is great too. Someone should do a thread on natural cleansers.
1 person likes this
@anniepa (27238)
• United States
14 Dec 07
Thanks for posting this great advice. My daughter's cat was poisoned by anti-freeze and the vet said that's one of the most painful deaths a cat can go through. It was very heartbreaking, and we know who did it but can't prove it. The best advice is to keep your kitties indoors but I know that's not always possible. This time of year especially be careful of poinsettias because I understand they can be deadly for pets! Annie
• Abernathy, Texas
14 Dec 07
Not just poinsettas but other plants - and for the sake of yourself, your children and your pets - don't use harsh chemicals to clean the house. Actually cats can find antifreeze on their own. However, poisoning is a very real concern - that is poisoning by mean people.
• United States
15 Dec 07
I think its a good thing that you made this list. Many people probably dont realize what dangers could be around their pets. I know i certainly didnt realize there were so many dangers to cats. And i have a kitten. So thank you, thank you!
@Katlady2 (9920)
• United States
15 Dec 07
Hon, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so painful when we lose one of our furry babies. I just lost one of mine a couple of weeks ago because one of the neighborhood idiots was driving too fast and ended up hitting her. I pretty much came undone when I saw her. She would do some of the things you mentioned. She would crawl up under the hood of the truck, or she would sit on one of the tires to stay warm. I'm to the point now that I bang on the hood of the car or truck to make sure none of my other babies are underneath. Again, I'm so sorry you had to go through that loss hon. But he is in a better place, over the Rainbow Bridge playing with my babies as well as the others that are there.
• Abernathy, Texas
15 Dec 07
Wow katlady, you just proved the point of my discussion. Being run over is right up there on why it is almost having a hand in murder when you have an outdoor cat. I hope people read your post too and it helps them keep their babies indoors not out - thank you so much!