When I sold the Boat I lived on, I Thought I would Die!

@Adoniah (7515)
When I realized that I could no longer live on my sailboat, I had a broker friend list it for me. It sold immediately. I had done all the work on it myself. I had even just installed a new Kaboda diesel engine in her. I had one last weekend with her before I had to turn her over to the new owner. I took her out one last time. I waited until I had just enough time to get to the locks before they closed for the night and after everyone at the marina had left or gone to dinner. I made it throught the locks and headed out toward the ocean. I went past the third ocean marker and then headed South til around midnight. I didn't pull the sails. I ran the motor so that it would be broken in a little more for the new owner. He was a little green and I didn't want him to encounter any problems. At midnight I headed into the gulf stream, and when I felt its strong pull, I turned North and shut off the engine. Then I just rode the Gulf Stream North toward home. Just as the sun started to rise I could see the markers for the port and my last little trip with my long time friend was almost over. As the third marker came up, I headed west back toward the locks and then to the marina that had been home for a long time. The new owner was there very nervous, worried that I was going to renig on the deal, and my friends were afraid that something had happened to me. I tossed them the lines, handed over the keys, and walked away. Man it was a hard day. Have you ever had to give up something that meant that much to you? It was not the material possession of the boat. It was the freedom of life that I lost.
@urbandekay (18312)
NO, why could you no longer live aboard? I sailed to France on a Alson 45 and have sailed some other craft but not for a while, your tale of your last weekend made me wish I could again. Do you know that poem, Sea Fever? It starts I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky, And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; all the best urban
@Adoniah (7515)
Yes I know the poem. It hung in my boat along with several others. No my health went weird and suddenly I developed vertigo so severe that for weeks on end I could not even walk. The doctors promised me that if I stayed off of boats pemanently it would go away. They lied as usual. I still have the vertigo and no boat. But it is safer to be on land when it happens. If I was out in the Middle of the ocean alone when it happened, I would have been in real trouble. I can no longer captain a boat so my Captain's license is useless. However, I still go on short trips with friends and occasionally do mermaid races where I can still be captain for a day!
@urbandekay (18312)
What boat did you have? Was she an out and out sailer of a motor-sailer? What size and what rig. I have sailed in Gaff and Bermuda rig. Was she wood or steel or GRP? all the best urban
@Adoniah (7515)
The boat I lived on was a Bayliner Buccaneer 32'. She was fiberglass which is the safest material to have in the warm waters that I sailed in. She was shallow draft which allowed me to get in close to all the little islands on the banks. She had a very high profile mast sloop rig. She did not heel much at all. I had a lot of other sailboats that I played with though. The last cool boat I had was a John Alden which is a mahoganey boat that was made in Tampa Fl. When I bought it, I new it had worms bad but I got it so cheap and it had a lot of play time left in it. It was worth it. I slapped a bunch of under water epoxy over the bad worms and worked it into the wood to prevent leaks and off we went. I played with her for two years before I had to dimantle her. I only paid $1,000 for her and was able to sell the engine for $800. She was definitely worth the money!! I also saved all the neat hardware off of her even the old wheel to use for decorations!!