Have you ever felt out of place in a gathering or function?

By Bala
@balasri (26577)
What made you think so?
@peanutjar (5251)
Hi balasri:) Yes i have.The first time i went for supper at my boyfriends mom's house.They speak french and i speak englis and they do not speak a word of english at all.Si i did not know if i should try and talk or just sit there and be quiet,haha.I tried to speak some french way back then but had a very hard time,so i just ate,nodded and then could not wait to comehome after.Since then 8 years ago i can know speak their language and respond to them,haha.Most of the time id do not,i keep quiet,hehe!Except for his mom,i love talking to her:) Peanutjar:)
@balasri (26577)
It must have been a an embarrassing expeerience for you.How about now?Have you learnt a little French?
@peanutjar (5251)
Now,im fine.Haha,i had no choice but learn the language.My mom is french and all the side of hers are all french,but my dads side are pure english and its my dads mom who raosed me since i was 1 year old.(my gran-parents)who i thought of being my parents,haha,did i confuse you yet?hehe.This is why i speak english.I get around quite well now with the language,BUT my daughter is sooooo much better than me.Shes lucky,shes can speak both at age 5 almost and she only speaks english with me and french with everyone else.Shes so sweet,she knows mommy still does not understand everything in the language.English is very,very rare here.It is an only french speaking place,just like Quebec,Montreal(Canada)but their french is a little bit different the way they put their words,kind of like bad french.France is the only place with perfect french. Peanutjar:)Have a nice day!
@balasri (26577)
Thanks for the lovely response,It always brings immense pleasure seeing our children bettering us.By the way my sister in law who I raised as my daughter is in Reunion who speaks excellent French now.
@SViswan (12095)
Once. I had to attend a wedding reception after attending a kiddy birthday party with my son. I assumed it was a small birthday party for only kids and that I would drop my son and wait outside (I was dressed to the hilt for a grand wedding reception). But when I got there, I realized that it was a party for the kids and parents and I was overdressed (as you can imagine) and I looked and felt totally out of place. Somehow I managed to make it through the cake cutting and got out with my son.
@balasri (26577)
Ha ha ha.That sounds interesting.The things we do for our children!
@SViswan (12095)
Tell me about it!
@Mirita (2668)
Yes, there was a time when I went to a party and I didn't really know anybody except the person who invited me. Of course, I felt out of place ,but I forced myself to make new friends and introduced myself.
@balasri (26577)
I can understand.This can happen to anybody.
@Monkeyrose (2850)
Well I'm fairly quiet and very bad at small talk. You want to have a discussion on philosophy or world issues I'm down. Most people don't like having these kind of conversations. I also sometimes feel out of place when I go to a friend of a friend's party.
@Daffodil20 (1754)
This is one thing I'm sure most of us have experienced.Its not a good feeling at all.Throughout the party,the only thing you want is to go home as early as possible.