Another Transit Authority Rate Hike

@worldwise1 (14887)
I guess it is a casualty of the escalating gas prices, but it was just recently announced that our city is proposing another rate increase for the Transit Authority. It does seem to me that it was not that long ago since the last one. I don't use public transportation myself, but I do feel for those who will have to dig deeper into their pockets if they use the services to get back and forth to work or school. Has your city's transit authority been affected by the increase in the cost of gasoline? Do you use public transportation?
Public transportation in my small town is almost non existent. We do have a couple of small cab companies. There are subsidized passes for them, and there is also a senior citizen bus. It hurts me to see the poor and disabled even having to pay for those things.
@worldwise1 (14887)
I envy your living in a small town, GG. Many of the poor and seniors have a hard time getting around where I live also.
@wolfie34 (26792)
Trouble is with all these hikes it has a domino affect on everything else, we are being hit with milk, with milk going up because it costs more to transport it around! Then it dominoes onto chocolate! (nooooooooo!) as well as rising fuel costs for the car! I don't tend to use public transport as I walk whenever I can, the shops are within 2 to 3 miles and that is easily walkable providing I don't have heavy shopping. I'll only take the car if I desperately need it. I can supermarkets rubbing their hands as they can make a few extra pence out of the whole sorry episode!
@worldwise1 (14887)
All that walking has to be a plus, wolfie! You should be super-fit, lol. Yes, I'm afraid it is the domino effect, and prices will continue to climb for everything.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I don't use public transportation, but all we have is a taxi. We live in a small town. It used to cost $4 to go anywhere in town and has jumped to $6, so if you just need to go to the grocery, it will cost $12 to make the trip.
@worldwise1 (14887)
That's not such a bad deal, Thoroughrob, if you make one or two trips a month do you.