Too Much Even For Me! Ever Cook Like This?

@theprogamer (10539)
Hello, fellow mylotters, especially the fans of cooking, or at least the fans of food! Just got back from a busy day and a nice homemade dinner. It was calzones tonight and I usually make two from my typical batch of dough. Well, this time I think I really pushed the limits (either by amount of calzones or amount of filling!) I was only able to finish off one of them and the other is probably lunch tomorrow! Stiil, I report to you tonight... very stuffed...but also very satisfied! I think that was the best mix I ever did in a calzone, at least as far as I can recall. Any of you fix a little too much every now and again? If you did, any meals or memories in particular you want to share? I wonder what foods leave you all nice, filled and satisfied at night's end.
@worldwise1 (14888)
The very thought of those calzones cause my mouth to water, progamer, lol. But, that's only natural since it's almost 4 o'clock in the morning, and I will soon be thinking of breakfast. I always make too much spaghetti because it's hard for me to make just a little. That is something that really fills me up.
@theprogamer (10539)
Hee hee hee! I'm kind of giddy I was able to make your tastebuds and mind dance a bit :D Spaghetti is an item I do end up with some leftovers with, all the time. It might just be the way I learned to cook it. And if I eat too much, its a 10+ hour wait till I'm ready to eat again!
@pyewacket (44036)
I haven't done this in awhile. I swear, I'm getting lazier about cooking nowadays, now that I live alone..LOL. But what I used to do, usually the beginning of the month would be to purposely make large batches of food, say Manicotti, or Lasagna, then divide up the portions and freeze them, so in effect had my own homemade frozen dinners. I loved doing it, as it's purer not processed food and purer ingredients..at least I don't have to be a bio-chemist to understand what's in a food like frozen foods you get at a supermarket Another thing I would make batches of, as I do Mexican cooking as well..homemade tamales, empanadas, etc..and freeze them as well. I have to admit, one time I did go overboard though--lets put it this way I was eating Mexican food for a l-o-n-g time.LOL No, I never really stuff myself though with food. I learned my lesson. Many Thanksgiving dinners ago, I really pigged out. I was so full I was uncomfortable--actually felt like do-do-ca-ca afterward. So vowed NEVER to do that again. LOL (And I haven't)
@theprogamer (10539)
I've only seldom thought of it that way. I'll have to rethink it. Maybe I should purposefully make enough to freeze for later. Great idea Pye, thanks for bringing it up.
@neenasatine (2842)
HERE In our house there's no "too much foods" since mostly boys are in our family and boys always tend to eat double or triple in amount compare to girls... if there are any leftovers we just gave it to our dog and combined with dog food as long as food will not create allergies for them.anyway since they are askal breed, allergies rarely occur to them...
@theprogamer (10539)
I know some of that off-hand, but I've on occasion wondered about cooking for myself, wife and a couple or a few sons. I think the food bill would be nuts.
@Flight84 (3050)
I'm bad to fix way too much food most of the time, especially when cheese, pasta, or chicken are involved. You know those are my favorite food groups. :P Sounds like your eyes were bigger than your stomach tonight, but I could go for a calzone myself. At least you can cook Pro.
@theprogamer (10539)
"I'm bad to fix way too much food most of the time, especially when cheese, pasta, or chicken are involved. You know those are my favorite food groups.:P" Well favorites are another thing and they do end up being enough for leftovers. "Sounds like your eyes were bigger than your stomach tonight, but I could go for a calzone myself." Actually this time I thought it was the right amount, nothing excessive (I may have to have a super calzone discussion another time) Maybe my body wasn't as hungry as I thought. "At least you can cook Pro." *slight blush* Been doing it since childhood. Come to think of it there were a couple of times I had left overs then too.
@brimia (6584)
I usually make more than enough for dinner, that way we'll have leftovers to save me from having to cook another night. I usually have leftovers of stew (I'll make a big pot) or a little left of stir-fry (enough for lunch the next day).
@theprogamer (10539)
I've made stews and larger versions of soups. Those I also get a lot of leftovers with. Silly, but true.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
The food that came to mind when I read this was stuffed shells. Nice hot gooey ones filled as full as possible. I really need to go out and get the stuff to make them, I'll probably eat the majority of them when I do because I've been very hungry for them lately. That's something that I would make a whole big dish of regardless of how many people I actually needed to feed with it. My homemage macaroni and cheese is the same way. I only know how to make a big batch.
@theprogamer (10539)
I'll have to make those stuffed shells again. Its actually been awhile.
@vivasuzi (4125)
I do this often when I'm making things without directions b/c I don't know exactly how much I will want to eat. It especially happens with pasta. When I cook pasta for me and my husband, I tend to keep pouring in more and more dry noodles b/c it looks like so little when it's not cooked yet. This means I usually end up with way too much. I know the directions on pasta tells you how much a serving size is, however as we all know the serving size on the box is usually way too small! Anyway, pasta is always the way to go for me if I want to feel STUFFED.
@theprogamer (10539)
Pasta messes me up too, but I'm getting better at the amounts. Despite how much I make, the stuff seems to get more delicious with each attempt. Or maybe my senses are dulling from old age? :)
@lilybug (21148)
I almost always make more food than is eaten for dinner. We usually have leftovers. Tonight I made Enchiladas, and we have a ton leftover for tomorrows lunch. If I make a casserole I always have leftovers. Sometimes I make extras on purpose, other times it just kind of happens.
@theprogamer (10539)
Thanks for sharing. I can relate to that in away Lily.
@vera5d (4007)
mmm...i love calzones!! i HATE leftovers, while my husband likes to have them....i am really picky about what i will eat that is left over (though calzones are always good the next day, too!) i try to make just enough...but sometimes i accidently make too much...thankfully hubby will eat it if i don't!
@vera5d (4007)