Divided

What does it mean when in a recipe it calls for something "divided"? Like this one recipe called for salsa, divided? How do you devide something like that??
If it says "divided" salsa..it would be portioned out..I would need to see the rest of the recipe to say for sure;) How bout sharing it?
i don't even know what recipe I was looking at! I just know I have seen this word before in different recipes and I just never knew what it meant.
It's hard to say for sure without seeing the recipe, but it usually means to divide the total amount required into different portions. For example, If a recipe calls for 2cups of salsa divided, this could mean 1cup and 1cup...like one half, (1cup), of it may actually get mixed up or blended in with the rest of the ingredients, while the recipe might require for the other half to be spread on top after cooking, or whatever, or something of that nature. So basically, it usually means that you are using the same ingredient two or more different ways in the same recipe and therefore requires that the total amount of the ingredient be divided into equal or unequal sized portions depending on the recipe.