Just got a guitar and am clueless...

@foxyfire33 (10009)
I finally decided that I couldn't very well keep telling the kids to chase their dreams if I didn't do the same. So I bought myself a guitar and want to learn to play it. But here's the thing paying for lessons is out of the question (or budget rather) and I don't really know what I'm doing. Can someone please offer some advice, point me to a good website, or just plain break it down for me in plain simple English? I understand tabs but am lost on figuring out the notes. I know how to count the strings but my daughter and I disagree on counting the frets. It's just a basic acoustic guitar so it can't really be that hard...can it?
@carmelanirel (20979)
Hey foxyfire, I hope you don't take offense, but myself as an older adult, sometimes learning something new is easier if I learned from a child's lesson. For example, I learned all my Jewish holidays through my neighbors book her child used in 3rd grade. Plus, my 5 year old got a guitar for his birthday and so I already had this link for when he was ready to learn. If you find this site helpful, let me know.. http://www.kidsturncentral.com/topics/music/guitar3.htm
@foxyfire33 (10009)
Hey, thanks! I think it sounds like a great idea. That's kind of what I meant, for whatever reason the adult lessons assume that adults actually know something to start with and I don't so I could learn everything else but not the most basic and obvious things.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
LOL maybe it is just a lost cause...that link led me back to the About.com links that I have bookmarked and am confused by! I think I did figure one thing out that I was struggling with so maybe I'm not so bad off afterall.
Oh I am sorry, I never really looked too much into that link, but thought it would be good for children because the search words I used was,"kids beginning guitar lessons." So you don't think would help my son?
@dbeast (1498)
Just a basic acoustic guitar?tat was put too easy i must say.you will be able to master anything but it takes a lot of practise.trust me you can go no where without putting in quality time.it can be really frustrating in the beginning because all that you ll start off is with chords and stuff and you ll want to play some song that sounds really cool.this is the period when you ll think you just had enough of your dream.do let me know if you are really interested and i will terach you a few lessons that i have learnt so far.thanks.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
"Just a basic acoustic guitar?tat was put too easy i must say." I'm not sure what you meant by that but I KNOW it takes practice, that's not my problem. I'm not trying to play some cool song, I just need to know the notes.
@cosylvia (401)
i believe only the time you pratice,if you take more time in pratice ,you can improve it...i dont know how to play the guitar or i will give you some important advice for you ,wish you have a good day and merry christmas
@foxyfire33 (10009)
Well thanks but I don't need any more practice looking at it and plucking the strings, I need to know how to get started playing it.
@ctrymuziklvr (11059)
My daughter taught herself to play guitar at a very young age and I on the other hand can't play a note of any instrument! I'm sure if you do some searching you will find some help on the internet...if not let me know and I'll see if my daughter can give you any pointers.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
My daughter can teach herself to play just about anything too. I'm just lost on the most basic level here lol...I seem to understand what to do but just don't know which note is which or which string is what note. It seems like the "beginner sites" still assume people at least have some musical knowledge.