Does anyone know if animal allergies ever go away?

I would love to have a kitten! - kitten
Many, many years ago I had allergies to cats. They weren't life threatening but it was very uncomfortable for me to be around any cats. In recent years I've spent a little time in the apartment of someone who has a cat and haven't felt anything bothering me. I really want to get a pet and since my luck with dogs has been so bad I'm thinking it might be so much easier to get a kitten or young cat. For one thing their so much easier to care for especially in the winter. It would be an indoor cat because there is no way with the apartment building I live in that it could be any other way. Do you think it's possible for allergies to just go away? I've heard of people having asthma and getting rid of it so maybe the same can happen with allergies? What do you think?
@foxyfire33 (10009)
I don't see why it couldn't happen. The way the immune system works. small doses of things are what help build immunity so if you've been exposed to cat in small amounts enough it would make sense that you've built up your immunity to them also. Maybe you could go some where with cats and handle them a lot to see what happens. You'll still probably want to stick with a short haired one but it will still be a great companion for you! Good Luck!
Yes, I would definitely go with a short hair just not to aggravate it. Everything you say makes sense so I think I"m going to start looking around for a kitty.
@Debs_place (10525)
were you actually ever tested to be sure it was cats you were allergic to? I had a friend that thought she had a cat allergy but it turned out it was the grass and plants the cat played in and brought into the house. When she was around indoor only cats she had no problems.
@slickcut (8141)
I use to be allergic to cats,well at least the allergy doctor told me i was, but i would just get stopped up,that was a few years ago..I have a cat now and it does not bother me, and i also have a small dog, and i am fine with it..I think as we age we change a lot...Like sometimes we can eat things that once we couldn't and we can cannot stand things that we use to love..Our body does go through changes, and it is very possible that you are no longer allergic to cats..If you do get one and find that you are still allergic you might have a problem finding a home for it...
Check with your doctor, it is possible. Especially if you are getting exposed to the source a little bit at a time. Some breeds are less allergenic than others and are better animals to have for those who are sensitive.
@sedel1027 (17854)
I have heard of people growing out of their allergies or allergies getting better. If you want a cat or kitten, I would adopt one from a place that would allow you to bring it back in case you do have problems.
@raychill (6530)
My boss is allergic to cats and she has a pet cat. Most of the times you become immune to your own cat... well not most of the time but sometimes people do. There are animals you can get to not make your allergies go all nuts.
I've heard that people can become immune to their pets too.
@KissThis (3006)
Yes, you can out grow an allergy to cats. My eyes use to swell shut if I was any where near a cat. These days I can be around cats for hours without having any kind of reaction for the most part. Occasionally I will have to take some generic allergy medicine from Wal-Mart but I don't have to do that very often. A good way for you to figure out if you are still allergic to cats is to your local animal shelter and spend some time petting the cats.
I'm definitely going to spend some time with one or two before I decide to get one. I would hate to get one and then have to rehome it.
@THKOhio (330)
When I was a child, I had a very severe allergy to cats. I couldn't even be in the same room with one for many years. By the time I was in college, I was completely over it, and have had cats in my home ever since. I hope that you find you can bring a kitten into your life soon!!
@cikedo (3487)
I've read before that they can possibly go away, but I don't know if there is a way to trigger them into stopping. It's also possible to not be allergic to animals for most of your life and then end up with allergies in midlife.
@chrislotz (8203)
Yes, people can outgrow allergies. When I was 10 years old I developed an allergy to most fruits. It was christmas day and I ate about three japanesse oranges and my gums and mouth started bleeding and my whole face swelled up and my throat swelled up and I couldn't breathe. I was rushed to the hospital. Until then I never had a problem with allergies, so it was kind of weird. Then for 37 years I couldn't eat any fruit except bananas and watermelon. The doctors were stumped and couldn't say what in the fruits I was allergic to. My oldest sister developed the same allergies as me, also. Well about 2 years ago things changed and I could eat some fruits I couldn't eat all those years. I can now eat apples and oranges and pineapples and so on. The only fruit I still can't eat is peaches. I can't even be in the same room with them without breaking out in a rash. So yes, you can grow out of your allergies. It does happen.
@worldwise1 (14887)
I think that the body does change over time, ctry, and, barring that, there are some excellent allergy remedies on the market these days. By your allergy being as mild as you say, one of these should work beautifully for you in the event you do decide to get a cat.
I know the more you spend around cats the more immune you become. OTC allergy meds are great to help. My DH had to take allergy shots for the longest time. His eyes would swell shut and his throat would close up. We now have about 30 cats. No eye swelling or throat closing, but he does sneeze sometime.