Do you keep the transaction logs when you do online banking?

@whyaskq (7532)
Singapore
I pride myself to be able to manage by bills and boy! I was surprised to find the balance of my statement suddenly increase two fold. It would be nice if this was my bank statement. No, it was a credit card statement. In it were finance charges and a late payment fee of $x which was the maximum slapped. I cannot help laughing at myself. What a timely merry Christmas gift. LOL. I check my bank transactions and indeed, there were no records of my payment. Was it my fault or the bank's fault, I have no idea as I do not keep the transaction log even though the bank does advise one to print it for records. I only remember I dutifully paid the bills monthly before the due date. Friends, do you keep the transaction logs when you do online banking? Or you do not do online banking at all? Kindly share :)
Nope. Yesterday I got a "scare" with my paypal account, it looks like it could be a scam so I'm even more concered and I will from now on keep a record. I probably wouldn't of thought about it if i didn't get the e-mail stating to re-check my actions. ~Joey
@whyaskq (7532)
Perhaps it is always safer to do extra work just in case. The question is whether your records are valid evidence in any dispute.
@maddysmommy (16236)
Everything is recorded online for us when we do our online banking so I can review a history of payments and transactions made. I can request paper statements if I wanted to but don't because its all available online.
@whyaskq (7532)
It just happen this particular bank does not have logs for instructions to pay in future dates. It only keep logs after a transaction has been committed.
@ladyluna (7004)
Hello Whyaskq, I'm sorry to hear about your surprise gift, what a bummer!. Yes, I always keep receipts. Not just for the bills that I've paid, but also for all purchases. That way I can make sure that no unauthorized charges have been tacked on. In today's world of identity theft, one needs to take extra precautions. As for your late charge: you might want to call the issuing bank and ask them to delete the penalty. If you regularly pay 'on time' and explain that you really thought that you made your payment online, they will sometimes accomodate a 'good customer'. This happened to me once a few years back. And, the bank was very accomodating about deducting the penalty charge. I hope your issuing bank will be as nice to you. Good luck with this!!!
@whyaskq (7532)
Aiyah... it skip my mind. I should have called the bank and seek a waiver instead. Come to think of it, I was being nice to just pay up every single cent. Not sure if the bank appreciate me after giving them some bonusssss.
I usually settle online bills by vpost and there will be a logoff screen showing all the transactions I have made. I will usually count and make the sure number is correct. But for some transactions that are not "instantaneous", then it is a bit difficult. Most time I do not bother to keep track unless it is something important.
@whyaskq (7532)
The need for tracking is required only when the reminder notice comes :p
@squaretile (3833)
oh dear! that's quite disastrous. Cos it's now your word against theirs. And if there was no record of the payment online then they would say it was not completed. Cos if it was completed, then even if you didn't print out the transaction log, it would appear on the transaction history. Personally, I don't print out every online transaction i make. but when i pay via axs machine, i keep the axs receipt. There was once that i paid for a bill on the 30th, but it was only credited on the 2nd of the next month and hence they slapped late charges on me. I argued with the bill in my hand that i did pay before the stipulated 31st. but they said they need 2 working days to process bills and hence i should have factored that in to make sure that payment REACHED them by the due date. not Paid by the due date. In any case, I made them waive the late charges and they finally agreed to make an exception since this was the first time it happened with me. :(
@whyaskq (7532)
Ya, if there are transaction logs, I can prove it was not processed but too bad, I just had to pay it. There was no basis for argument. If I have record, for sure I will make someone responsible :P
@ssh123 (31104)
The bank where I have opened the account is just a few yards from my residence so all our family members accounts are operated manually. I do not like online banking.
@whyaskq (7532)
I too prefer banking at counters as I feel more "secured" that my transactions are processed. However, it is rather inconvenient for me to go to the bank. Otherwise I would not go online.