Local Street Names

@worldwise1 (14887)
I have always found the names of streets in cities or towns to be very interesting. There are some cities where you can always find a certain street with a certain name. One of these is Broadway(or some variation of). There is a Broadway Street in the city where I live now. In the town where I used to attend school there was a Broad Street. Broadway is usually a main thoroughfare in whatever city you might find it. I learned also that most places have a bunch of streets named after trees. They have names like: Elm, Oak, Cyprus, Willow, Pine, etc. In the same vein there are many named for flowers or plants. The most interesting fact I've learned about street names in the city I now live in is that many of them are named for cities in my state: Akron, Niles, Cincinnati, Canton, to name a few. Have you noticed any specific pattern when it comes to street names in your area? Please share them.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
Ours pretty much get named after the type of road or the people that live or lived there, if they're named at all. LIke we like on "the lake road", no real name but there's a lake on it so that's what it's called, down the road there is one officially named "Rocky Ridge Road"...it is a very narrow road that follows a ridge line down the hill and it's very rocky. Then there's also a "Ridge Road" not far away that also follows a ridge but isn't rocky. The ones "in town" have some themes though. There's a section near where s/o works that uses men's names...Thomas Avenue, William Street, James Street.... And in the other town there are streets with a Native American theme...Oneida, Mohawk, Tomahawk and they are in the section right after the "flower section" which is next to the "tree section" which is next to the "women's names section"!
@worldwise1 (14887)
These things do seem to run in sections, foxyfire. We have roads named Dugger, Stop Eight, and Dogleg-if you care for the odd-sounding ones, lol. We also have the typical ones that are women's names.
@pyewacket (44036)
Funny you should mention Broadway, as I live down the block from a "Broadway". In my aspiring acting days when I was younger I always thought it amusing that I did live "off Broadway" since as you know the Broadway and off Broadway area in Manhattan is THE acting capital. One thing I thought amusing..my town is named Elmhurst..why I don't know. Now logically you would think cause the main trees in the area would be Elms...uh, nope...their Oak and as far back in history of our town, they've always been Oak trees..so we should actually be called Oakhurst or something like it
@worldwise1 (14887)
My, my, pyewacket, you do indeed have an interesting background! I bet you would be an amazing actress. We just so happen to have an Amherst Avenue in my town. We also have an area called the Five Oaks area. I'm not sure how it got that name.
@wolfie34 (26793)
There's an area about 8 miles from where I live, has an estate which is quite well to do, and all the street names are named after birds, kittiwake close, goldfinch close, kingfisher way, it's quite twee! I think whoever named them was a birdwatcher (of the feathered kind naturally!) We also have a place called Pratt's Bottom (hope Mylot lets me use this word!) I love strange and whimsical names.
@worldwise1 (14887)
Some places do have some strangely named streets, wolfie, I'll agree! I have read a lot about your country and find many of the names strange in that they are pronounced differently than what you would expect. I have a liking for the whimsical also.
@carolbee (16241)
In the area where we live the names mentioned above are all apart of our city. Seems certain sections of the suburbs run with tree names and other sections run with city names. We also have a Broadway. One of our daughter's lives about 10 miles from us and in that part of town the names are primarily first names such as Rose, Kimberly, etc. The main street that runs through our section is Craig. Thanks for such an interesting discussion.
@worldwise1 (14887)
In my area we also have streets named for Native American words, carolbee. I think practically every state lays claim to having some type of Native American heritage. I hope you enjoyed the discussion.
We have lots of tree named streets, but not Cyprus. In my town, in the midst of the tree streets, we have Tulip, so I am thinking it must be Tulip tree, as we do not have any other flower names. We have a series of streets named for the founding fathers of this town:Skanke, Seitz, Bishop, Hartup. Number streets, of course,and letter Avenues, but not Broadway. I read somewhere that the most popular street name in the US is Park Street. We have one. Do you? Our town is about 14,000. I am going to wish you a Merry Christmas, once again, then go do my baking. I actually got online to find a roll recipe. I just had to check on my myLot friends.
@worldwise1 (14887)
You are right, GG, as my town also has many streets named for people who were formerly in government, personalities like former track and field star, Edwin Moses, and I would throw in that most everywhere has a street named for Martin Luther King. We don't have a Park, but streets that include the name. Don't wear yourself out baking!
@Ohara_1983 (4120)
• Kuwait
her in kuwait most street names are name of the people. like those you mention are most is from trees
In the old part of my city, the street names have a royal feel to them . King, Prince, Queen, and Duke are a few of the names.