The Same Old Response

@wolfie34 (26793)
United Kingdom
Does anyone drive you mad by replying with the same response over and over and over again? Like they don't give a damn, or they just can't be bothered to listen to you, or you are probably boring them? What responses annoy you? My ex used to always reply 'exactly' after everything I said and it used to bug me! Exactly! My father always replies 'oh right', 'oh right' mind you he's probably doing it because he's being interrupted whilst watching television! Or do you get annoyed with people always agreeing with you, just for a quiet life, or do you prefer them to agree with you? Oh right, exactly....
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
When people do this to me, I usually say really outrageous things just to see if they're listening. I had a friend when I was younger that did this a lot, and I'd say things like "Last night I slept with your girlfriend" or "Do you mind if I borrow this?" about some random thing just to see what he said. I got myself quite a few meals this way because he would agree to buy me lunch without realizing it and then be too embarrassed to back out. :P
@wolfie34 (26793)
You always come up with great ideas! Thanks a mill, hope you had a great Chrimbo!
@wolfie34 (26793)
LOL! If I was to say the magic words 'Do You want a drink, or do you want food' that would get my dads attention alright!
My kids always respond with "Is it" or "In it", growing up in North London, what else can I expect. "Oh I know" is one I cannot stand, but the worse is a woman I know who repeats the last couple of words I say when I am talking to her. It is so off putting and quite strange. As for my dad all I get is SSSSHHHHH, as he is watching the TV too!!
@wolfie34 (26793)
Aaaaah I'd completely forgotten about that one 'innit' ewwww horrid, trouble is I have a nasty sneaky suspicion that innit will crawl into the dictionary if it hasn't already!
@worldwise1 (14887)
That really gets my goat too, wolfie! I think that often people have fallen into the habit so deeply they don't even realize they are doing this. For some, though, as you said, it just seems to be too much work to string a few words together in an intelligible sentence. We should always work at forming complete sentences(whenever possible) when we are involved in a conversation with someone.
@wolfie34 (26793)
It does become habit forming yes!
@raydene (9874)
Hi Doll, There are many times when I want to support someone but do not know what to say so I may say some little lame thing.. And there times when mentally I just do not have it to get into a big conversation .. or don't want to get someone started. I know someone that will start then given more then a nod will whip themselves into a fury without much input from others... Yes I do get annoyed at times but it is usually me not them doing it...They have the right to react or ignor me...it's how I take it that will show who I am.. I love u Sweets.. xoxoxoo
@wolfie34 (26793)
You always make me smile and warm my heart x
@suspenseful (40316)
I always use, "fine" when anyone asks me how I am, because I was told "other people have it worse than you," whenever I said, "well I am not feeling that well at the moment," and then ranted about my problems. As a result I was made to feel that I should have been glad to have these problems and in fact I should really suffer and terrible things should happen to me. So when someone gives a pat answer, I figure that sometime in their life they were told not to admit how they really felt, because someone else had it worse than they did.
@eyewitness (1577)
• Netherlands
I see a lot of people not reading a discussion very well or the responses which has been given .Like i had a discussion about puppy avatar and someone immediately explained.but two of them didn't read the above responses so they both thought it was coincidence.Now if something like this happens all the time it would be very annoying.
@wolfie34 (26793)
Thankfully that doesn't happen too often, you start a discussion and someone responds with a weird reply as though they have blatantly not read what the discussion was all about in the first place!
Oh sure. The estate agent who looks after this house for the landlord has an habit of doing such a thing but recently he's being creative. (yet still him) We had a bit of windy time here recently, the fence between us and the side we don't like fell and one panel has broken. (they're dogs coming in our back yard) so we contacted him, he told my mum that "terry" the odd jobs man hasn't been able to come round (he was planned to visit the day before we called) he went on to tell us he had a collpse lung and wouldn't be able to come out until next monday. Funny, I wouldn't go back to work so soon and especially since it was wednesday when he took ill. ~Joey I'm with you though.
@chrislotz (8203)
My hubby always says to me, what's happening. I hate this. It just drives me, and I have asked him to stop saying it but he just can't help himself. He says it to everyone. Or my step daughter always says all righty then. It's like their vocabulary is so limited they don't know what else to say. I guess I probably say things that bug them, too, but soemthings just come out of people's mouths without them even thinking about it. I just have to learn to accept it and take it in stride.
@abbey19 (3129)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I know exactly how you feel wolfie! When I still lived at home, my mother always came up with "We'll see" if I asked her anything. I knew it really meant "no", but she just couldn't say it! When my son doesn't agree with me, he always says "whatever". In other words, he doesn't want to continue the conversation! It drives me nuts!
@mssnow (9493)
Well, I always reply with. WOW!!! lol. I guess its a habit. My bad, Wolfie??. I hate people who always say ya know?? after everything they say. Ya know??
@gabs8513 (48715)
The one that I really hate is "Yeah whatever" as my Ex Husband used to say it all the time and it always sounded like I was just being a Pain and he wants me to go away which I used to do I hardly hear it now thank Goodness lol as I still hate it
@balasri (26553)
I bear with them understanding their decency to say "Thanks" and "I agree".Luckily no one has bored me with repeating anything else so far.